Five Footers

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Five Footers

Post by gillchaser » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:00 am

Anybody enjoy fishing with short UL rods ?
Today I took one of my neglected five foot UL's fishing today . Along with a 7', two 6' , and two 5.6' . The five footer stole the show . No it didn't cast the farthest , but far enough , and when I caught a fish with it , it put a big smile on my face .
I had a Shimano Stradic 1000 with 2# PLine on it . Lure was a 1/64th Trout Magnet. Most of the 11 small LM bass were caught on this rod . It was a StCroix Triumph, a moderate action Rod that bends into the grip with a fish on it . The 7-12" bass were fun on the little stick . Gillchaser
Last edited by gillchaser on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Five Footers

Post by Jrob » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:02 am

I love my shorter rods. Just so accurate , and as you stated FUN. For tight quarters and accuracy there is no better in my opinion than a short rod.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:08 am

So how short is too short?

I've got a 3'9" Tenryu Rayz LL rod coming. I've got some small brookie streams in mind for it but I have never used a rod anywhere close to that length before.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:25 am

My shortest is 4.5' . It's a nice small stream Rod . Does great at shooting through holes . Gillchaser

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:27 am

CM_Stewart wrote:So how short is too short?

I've got a 3'9" Tenryu Rayz LL rod coming. I've got some small brookie streams in mind for it but I have never used a rod anywhere close to that length before.
A tiny parabolic BFS rod would he a blast. I'm not sure how how the guide train would be for a spinning rod that short.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

JrodTX
Angler
Angler

Post by JrodTX » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:21 am

That's almost my setup with my Stradic, only St. Croix Premier and 4lb diameter suffix. Had to go 5 to get a moderate action locally. Fun rod when you get an untitentional small LMB or catfish.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:42 am

JrodTX wrote:That's almost my setup with my Stradic, only St. Croix Premier and 4lb diameter suffix. Had to go 5 to get a moderate action locally. Fun rod when you get an untitentional small LMB or catfish.
I have a 5' Avid that'll be making the trip next time out . I got so involved with the longer rods , I haven't been using my shorter ones . It's gotten to where most UL's over 5.5' are fast action and even some of those are fast . Gillchaser

JrodTX
Angler
Angler

Post by JrodTX » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:10 am

Yup, fast action is pretty much all there is in the 5'6"-6'6" range in most lines. Was surprised to find the Premier at Gander Mtn.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:27 am

For those interested, Fenwick offers a 5' 6" moderate action rod in their Eagle lineup. Fenwick makes a very nice stick.

JrodTX
Angler
Angler

Post by JrodTX » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:15 am

uljersey wrote:For those interested, Fenwick offers a 5' 6" moderate action rod in their Eagle lineup. Fenwick makes a very nice stick.
I'll have to look that one up. Those are inexpensive if I remember correctly.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:43 am

JrodTX wrote:
uljersey wrote:For those interested, Fenwick offers a 5' 6" moderate action rod in their Eagle lineup. Fenwick makes a very nice stick.
I'll have to look that one up. Those are inexpensive if I remember correctly.
About $60. I had a 7' in hand at Dick's the other week. Too whippy for my tastes but still a nice a nice rod.

replica66[]
Angler
Angler

Post by replica66[] » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:15 am

When I go float tubing I use short rods. I'm usually jigging below me or cast out a ways and slow troll. Love my little Daiwa Spinmatics with 2 lb test.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:35 am

I picked up a new one today on my trip to Gander Mt. . It's one of their rods in the Advantage series . Five feet , UL , moderate action . IM-6 . A nice looking rod for $40 .
They had one with a slit grip style in what they called Panfish series , but it felt a little fast for what I was looking for .
Added a Shimano Symetre 500 spooled with 4# Silverthread , and took it to the town pond , even though we had gusty winds up to 30 MPH.
The little Rod, with a 1/64 Trout Magnet cast great . Better than a lot of my other rods. Managed to catch four gills and a small LM before the wind got to me and I headed home . Gillchaser

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:33 am

Gary Loomis designed an outstanding ulralight mag bass blank maybe 30 years ago, one of Stan Fagerstom's all time favorite rods, the SJR 700. Built one many years ago as a casting rod with a a Shimano Bantam 100 EX reel, the first reel I'm aware of designed as an ultralight casting reel. Has a selelctor switch on it to go into that mode. Gary builds a similar blank in his NFC blanks.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:56 am

I have a GLoomis SJR6400 IMX 5'4" rod with a Daiwa Laguna 500 that I like a lot. Not an even five footer but close.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker