Aldebaran bfs XG 2016 & Braid

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Ifish585
Angler
Angler

Re: Aldebaran bfs XG 2016 & Braid

Post by Ifish585 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:39 am

What is a good leader knot to tie for these thin braided line?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:19 am

The uni- to uni- is what I use for braid-to-leader knots.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Ifish585
Angler
Angler

Post by Ifish585 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:26 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:The uni- to uni- is what I use fore braid-to-leader knots.
Thanks I'll have to try it out. Been using the fg knot and I think it overkill for these light lines as it seems to snap alot when I'm tying lol

JrodTX
Angler
Angler

Post by JrodTX » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:50 am

Couldn't really cast well with braid. Picked up some gloss and see how it goes. Maybe I'm impatient and not the best bait caster, but any tips that are specific to thin line and small reels?

If not there may be a deal on a bfs setup.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:43 am

JrodTX wrote:Couldn't really cast well with braid. Picked up some gloss and see how it goes. Maybe I'm impatient and not the best bait caster, but any tips that are specific to thin line and small reels?

Gentle casting strokes. Start with the brakes high and lower the brakes little by little. Whipping a cast with a BFS reel will backlash or make you use so much braking that you lose distance. The smooth gentle stroke will get you the best distance.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:31 pm

ccass wrote:
JrodTX wrote:Couldn't really cast well with braid. Picked up some gloss and see how it goes. Maybe I'm impatient and not the best bait caster, but any tips that are specific to thin line and small reels?

Gentle casting strokes. Start with the brakes high and lower the brakes little by little. Whipping a cast with a BFS reel will backlash or make you use so much braking that you lose distance. The smooth gentle stroke will get you the best distance.
Interesting. I whip cast and have not had any problems but my experience is limited to air brake and fixed inductor spools. I've got that one weird dual brake china bfs reel that doesn't like whip casts but i thought that was because it was a POS. I'll experiment with more smooth lob cast motions next season.