Shimano 500 reels

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano 500 reels

Post by gillchaser » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:57 pm

Are they all on the chopping block ?
I just got an email advertising the new Sahara FL . They start at the 1000 series as did the new Sonomas last year . And the new new Sienna's and Symetres .
So either they're working on something totally separate from their other reels or are the 500's gone ?
Would love to see the 750's come back . A 500 frame with a larger spool .
I like a reel in the low to medium 6oz's in weight . All the 1000's are in the mid 7's . Similar to Daiwa .
Glad I picked up a couple more Sienna 500's last week . Gillchaser

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano 500 reels

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:43 pm

From what I hear.....they are doing away with the 500 size.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Seems like eventually that there will only be the AX-ULSA left:

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Shimano ... ning-Reels

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:03 am

Got to searching around for Shimano 500 reels and found some places are raising their prices on stock they have left . I found a Sahara 500FE for $59.99 with free shipping and could only stand it for about 24 hours before I ordered one .
What pushed me was after checking out the two Daiwa UL reels I own , I found one of them has a terrible drag , and the other just ok . I'll have to tear them apart and see if I can improve them .
Gillchaser

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:58 am

Lower price range Daiwa reels seem rather chintzy; I took one apart recently. I really like only the SS 700 for UL, regarding Daiwa's, but it's around a 1000 in size.

Daiwa's 500 size reels seem to be pretty cheaply made...$15-25 range, so no real surprise...though they have better drags than more expensive 1500/2000 sized Daiwa's; that seems odd.

I think that you get a better deal with the AX-ULSA for not much more. if you are buying at that price point.

I wonder why Shimano isn't at least offered a 1000 size shallow spool for the USDM if they are getting rid of their higher quality 500 size reels. 1000 size is a bit more 4# line, but a large capacity increase for those who like to use 2# line.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:21 am

The Daiwa Laguna spinning reels come in a 500 and 1000 size both of which are about the size of the Shimano 500 reels . The 1000 just has a larger spool . They both have 5 ball bearings and a roller bearing and cost about $35 . About the cost of an entry level Shimano , the Sienna . The Sienna has twice ball bearings and a roller bearing .
The Daiwa Crossfire 500 and 1000 are the same reels but only have three ball bearings and a roller bearing . Different color . They are in the $25 range . The Crossfire was the one with the sticky drag .
I bought the Daiwas because they are the lightest weight small reels I know of . Although I think the Pfluegers in the smaller size are similar . Gillchaser

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:44 am

Don't hear much talk about Okuma. The 10 size Ceymar looks interesting ... At about the $50 price point it doesn't seem that risky of a gamble.

https://www.okumafishing.com/en/product ... -reel.html

There seems to be a growing gap in the UL reel universe ... pretty soon it will be crappy ice fishing reels on one end and expensive JDM imports on the other. Very few reliable workhorse units in the middle

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:34 am

Good news !
For me anyway . I took the drag apart on the Daiwa Crossfire and wiped the excess oil off each washer . It had three fiber washers and three metal ones . Impressive , for a small reel .
It seems ( somebody , "ME , the big dummy" ) oiled the drag thinking it would improve it , only , I messed it up .
Now that all the excess lubricant has been wiped off the washers , the drag is working better and the little Crossfire will get a workout next fishing trip .
If it passes the test, it and the Laguna will be my truck reels . One will be loaded with 2# test , the other 4# . They will be my "emergency" reels to be used on my St. Croix UL Travel rods I keep in the xtracab of my Tacoma . You never know when you'll run across an opportunity to wet a line and I like to be prepared. Gillchaser.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:45 am

uljersey wrote:Don't hear much talk about Okuma. The 10 size Ceymar looks interesting ... At about the $50 price point it doesn't seem that risky of a gamble.

https://www.okumafishing.com/en/product ... -reel.html

There seems to be a growing gap in the UL reel universe ... pretty soon it will be crappy ice fishing reels on one end and expensive JDM imports on the other. Very few reliable workhorse units in the middle
I checked out the Ceymar 10 on Amazon . I added to my wish list . I may have to give one a try . I've read Okuma has been making reels for other companies for years . Gillchaser

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:06 pm

The Daiwa D-Spin, Laguna and Crossfire are essentially similar...spending more gets you, like with the Shimano Sienna-Sedona & Sahara-Symetre.

Having a stack drag and a wide spool are their selling points...though I lap the metal washers flat and use Cal's Grease on the fiber ones.

Okuma can't seem to figure out light reels. They have had some nice 10 sizes in the past like the Alumina and the Inspira; then they kill them off, only to bring something back that's not as good.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:19 am

"Having a stack drag and a wide spool are their selling points...though I lap the metal washers flat and use Cal's Grease on the fiber ones."

I'll have to give that a try . IMO , The five ball bearing Daiwa Laguna 1000 is a decent lightweight reel . I think I've weighed one when my scales were working and it weighed under 6 oz's . Paired with a 5' St Croix UL Rod and you have a nice little creek/pond outfit that weighs around half a pound or less . Gillchaser

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:30 am

Smead wrote:Okuma can't seem to figure out light reels. They have had some nice 10 sizes in the past like the Alumina and the Inspira; then they kill them off, only to bring something back that's not as good.
That's scary on a couple of different levels ... one being parts availability.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:42 am

shimano stradic ci4 1000.... 5.6 oz.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:39 am

Weight wise the Ci4 could certainly fill the bill. If they made a 500 series it would be both super light and super compact. I feel the pain about 500 series reels disappearing. While I really like Daiwa I don't feel their reels at the lower end, cost wise, are the equal of the Shimanos. Most of Daiwa's mid level reels are not available in the smallest sizes. Of course a 500 Sahara has been a very nice reel, but it seems like they are killing off many of the others. Daiwa seems to be at a weight disadvantage on most sizes, as mentioned, not all. This kind of leaves the Pfluegers, Okuma, Abus and others. The President has been a workhorse reel for many people and it looks like the actions of the other makers will continue to drive people to it. I have been told that the President has been the number one selling spinning reel it in the country the last several years. I have no way to verify the numbers but it almost seems that it has gained that position by default. I guess I need to try a Laguna or wait for a new 500 Sahara.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:50 am

timinmo wrote:Weight wise the Ci4 could certainly fill the bill. If they made a 500 series it would be both super light and super compact. I feel the pain about 500 series reels disappearing. While I really like Daiwa I don't feel their reels at the lower end, cost wise, are the equal of the Shimanos. Most of Daiwa's mid level reels are not available in the smallest sizes. Of course a 500 Sahara has been a very nice reel, but it seems like they are killing off many of the others. Daiwa seems to be at a weight disadvantage on most sizes, as mentioned, not all. This kind of leaves the Pfluegers, Okuma, Abus and others. The President has been a workhorse reel for many people and it looks like the actions of the other makers will continue to drive people to it. I have been told that the President has been the number one selling spinning reel it in the country the last several years. I have no way to verify the numbers but it almost seems that it has gained that position by default. I guess I need to try a Laguna or wait for a new 500 Sahara.
I agree with everything you wrote . The Ci4 is nice but too big for me . After fooling around with my " cheap" Daiwa ultralights . The quality just isn't there . If you want a Shimano , you need to act fast .
After ordering the Sahara @ $59.99 , I found a deal at Gander Mountain , where I could have picked up a Symetre 500 for $80 . The Saharas are nice reels , but I think the Symetre is worth the extra dough .
The Sahara hasn't shipped , I may see if I can cancel the order . And order a Symetre. Gillchaser