Single hook in-line spinner hooking quality

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
replica66[]
Angler
Angler

Single hook in-line spinner hooking quality

Post by replica66[] » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:27 am

I use and really like the 1/18 oz. #00 Mepps Aglia white squirrel tail spinner for Bluegill and crappie. A quality spinner that spins immediately and really seems to catch the fish. I am using the treble hook model and have no trouble hooking fish that strike at it. I would like to try the single dressed hook model, but I wonder about missing strikes with a single hook. I hate the way the treble hook can tear up the mouth of a fish. Has anyone used this little spinner with a single hook?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Single hook in-line spinner hooking quality

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:22 am

Back to back single hooks with a small O ring holding them somewhat together

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:40 am

a single hook is very effective on a moving bait like a spinner.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:02 am

troutshop.jp sells inline spinners with quality barbless trebles and single hooks.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:06 am

I fish small spinners for white perch and have been moving to single hooks as the small WP just wreck themselves on trebles. Last season I only fished the single hook models and didn't notice a lessened number of hookups.

Even these little guys manage to get the hook into their mouths;

I plan to eventually start making my own single hook spinners. I want the compact size of the 1/16th oz ones, but I want more weight to help wing them under docks and to let them run a bit deeper, so I am going to use 1/8oz tungsten worm sinkers with a small blade and single hook.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:53 am

What size single hooks are you using?
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:59 am

replica66[] wrote:I use and really like the 1/18 oz. #00 ... I hate the way the treble hook can tear up the mouth of a fish. Has anyone used this little spinner with a single hook?
I have made a number of little single hook in-lines and they have a nice hook-up rate.
Out of curiousity , how is what they are putting on a Mepps 00 tearing up gill and crapie mouths? What are they about 12s?

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:15 am

I like the looks of the VMC #7239O Open Eye Barbless Spinner Hook (sizes to a #12), but they're not available that I can find in the US. The UK supplier won't ship to the US. It allows for direct attachment of the hook without using a split ring (which I find usually impairs the action).

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:42 am

JB in SC wrote:I like the looks of the VMC #7239O Open Eye Barbless Spinner Hook (sizes to a #12), but they're not available that I can find in the US. The UK supplier won't ship to the US. It allows for direct attachment of the hook without using a split ring (which I find usually impairs the action).
Man, that is annoying as hell, those hooks look perfect!

I am going to try to call someone at VMC America and see if they know of a US distributer.