Who is using BFS casting gear for trout/panfish

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Who is using BFS casting gear for trout/panfish

Post by Houndfish » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:02 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Just found out that St. Croix makes an affordable option for semi-BFS fishing... Might try one because I like one piece rods and it is a lot easier to return USDM merchandise for me...

https://stcroixrods.com/collections/fre ... sting-rods

St. Croix Panfish Series Casting Rod: 5'6"Light, rated for 1/8 to 1/4. Not a fan of that stub handle, but would really like to get one if I never find an appropriate JDM style BFS.

I wonder if that is a new model for this year, I don’t rememeber seeing it before. I am trying to cull some of my bfs rods out of the collection and seeing stuff like this isnt helping.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:17 am

Houndfish wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Just found out that St. Croix makes an affordable option for semi-BFS fishing... Might try one because I like one piece rods and it is a lot easier to return USDM merchandise for me...

https://stcroixrods.com/collections/fre ... sting-rods

St. Croix Panfish Series Casting Rod: 5'6"Light, rated for 1/8 to 1/4. Not a fan of that stub handle, but would really like to get one if I never find an appropriate JDM style BFS.

I wonder if that is a new model for this year, I don’t rememeber seeing it before. I am trying to cull some of my bfs rods out of the collection and seeing stuff like this isnt helping.
It must be fairly new. I have been checking their site for potentially adding another "light" spinning rod for the car. Right now I found the 6'3"ML xfast to feel most like my TFO 6'Light, and it rates for about the same. If I remember correct at BassPro, the St. Croix 6'Light fast was pretty soft. Not sure how that 5'6"Light casting rod would feel either. The Panfish series are normally very, very soft even when rated fast...

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:05 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:If I remember correct at BassPro, the St. Croix 6'Light fast was pretty soft. Not sure how that 5'6"Light casting rod would feel either. The Panfish series are normally very, very soft even when rated fast...
The 6' L/F Premiere spinning rod is very soft, I sold mine not too long ago as I could not get solid hooksets on Ned Rigs with it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:11 pm

Houndfish wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:If I remember correct at BassPro, the St. Croix 6'Light fast was pretty soft. Not sure how that 5'6"Light casting rod would feel either. The Panfish series are normally very, very soft even when rated fast...
The 6' L/F Premiere spinning rod is very soft, I sold mine not too long ago as I could not get solid hooksets on Ned Rigs with it.
Wish I had known. Might be softer than the TFO 6'Light I enjoy, but could have found it a place. I really think the 6'3"ML xfast St. Croix Premier should be perfect. It felt like the TFO I like, but with a touch more power/backbone.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:50 am

How does the Kuying Teton 6'3"UL compare to any rods mentioned??? Been kinda researching one of those, then not sure to go with the reel. Either a Shimano BFS (Scorpion or Aldebaran BFS XG) or a stock reel with a DIY BFS spool (Scorpion 70 or Tatula CT). I probably don't need super high end; just need to cast 1/16 with plastic or bitsy minnow style cranks...

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 am

I just purchased the Kuying TTC-632UL and the TTC-522SUL rods. Haven't fished them yet but I can tell you the SUL is Moderate action with very little backbone (Noodle), as expected from a SUL rod. and the UL is Moderate Fast and is less noodlely if you know what I mean

Edward

Creekin
Angler
Angler

Post by Creekin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am

I just recently got into fishing BFS. I bought a 17 Shimano Calcutta Conquest BFS HG and a 5'3" Tenryu Rays UL rod. I have the reel spooled with 3lb Sunline Troutist Darkness. Due to the weather here in Western Montana, I have only had it out once and caught one small Brown Trout on it but it was an absolute blast to fish with. It just feels "right." I can't wait for spring and summer to really test it out on the ponds and small creeks in my area.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Creekin wrote:I just recently got into fishing BFS. I bought a 17 Shimano Calcutta Conquest BFS HG and a 5'3" Tenryu Rays UL rod. I have the reel spooled with 3lb Sunline Troutist Darkness. Due to the weather here in Western Montana, I have only had it out once and caught one small Brown Trout on it but it was an absolute blast to fish with. It just feels "right." I can't wait for spring and summer to really test it out on the ponds and small creeks in my area.
BFS is addicting for sure, enjoy. I just purchased the 17 Calcutta Conquest BFS and am very excited about its arrival. Are you a round reel guy, this will be my first in a long time and looking forward to it, not sure how i'm going to like it compared to today's modern low profile reels but hopefully i do because its the most if paid for a fishing reel ever :shock:

Creekin
Angler
Angler

Post by Creekin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Edward78 wrote:
Creekin wrote:I just recently got into fishing BFS. I bought a 17 Shimano Calcutta Conquest BFS HG and a 5'3" Tenryu Rays UL rod. I have the reel spooled with 3lb Sunline Troutist Darkness. Due to the weather here in Western Montana, I have only had it out once and caught one small Brown Trout on it but it was an absolute blast to fish with. It just feels "right." I can't wait for spring and summer to really test it out on the ponds and small creeks in my area.
BFS is addicting for sure, enjoy. I just purchased the 17 Calcutta Conquest BFS and am very excited about its arrival. Are you a round reel guy, this will be my first in a long time and looking forward to it, not sure how i'm going to like it compared to today's modern low profile reels but hopefully i do because its the most if paid for a fishing reel ever :shock:
This is my first round reel and I was worried about how I'd like it also. Turns out that it feels great in my palm as it is way smaller than I was thinking it would be. The palm side of the 17 CQ is pretty small.
Attachments
received_403774983727403.jpeg
received_403774983727403.jpeg (272.86 KiB) Viewed 7256 times
received_321839058463264.jpeg
received_321839058463264.jpeg (243.15 KiB) Viewed 7256 times
received_2147242285333067.jpeg
received_2147242285333067.jpeg (239.54 KiB) Viewed 7256 times

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Creekin wrote:
Edward78 wrote:
This is my first round reel and I was worried about how I'd like it also. Turns out that it feels great in my palm as it is way smaller than I was thinking it would be. The palm side of the 17 CQ is pretty small.

If only it was a lefty... lol

Creekin
Angler
Angler

Post by Creekin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Craigthor wrote:
Creekin wrote:
Edward78 wrote:

If only it was a lefty... lol
I'll make it work I guess lol

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Creekin wrote:
Edward78 wrote:
Looking good, I'm sure I will love it. I keep checking the tracking everyday, its driving me nuts waiting.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:06 pm

Edward78 wrote:I just purchased the Kuying TTC-632UL and the TTC-522SUL rods. Haven't fished them yet but I can tell you the SUL is Moderate action with very little backbone (Noodle), as expected from a SUL rod. and the UL is Moderate Fast and is less noodlely if you know what I mean

Edward
How do you you like the TTC-632UL?

nstd
Angler
Angler

Post by nstd » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:57 pm

I got this setup specifically for mountain trout this summer. i'm still breaking it in with lmb

Kuying Teton 522UL
Shimano Aldebaran BFS

I handled the both the Aldebaran and Conquest BFS before I went for the Aldebaran. I felt the Aldebaran balanced better with the UL rod and it fits better in the hand. BUT... the conquest is still going to be a future purchase.

https://youtu.be/Wcdzlt8eqJA

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 am

waterone wrote:. Unfortunately, it seems that every BFS rod is made in China, even the very expensive Japanese rods. I guess it makes sense making the rod blank and components in Japan and shipping all the stuff to China for assembly, shipping the rods back to Japan for quality control, but that may be why I'm not running a multi-national
Major Craft roll their own blanks from Japanese cabon (Toray, etc), use Fuji components, and assemble them in their Vietnam factory. Also, I know Tenryu for one build their rods in Japan.
This is the way.