Who is using BFS casting gear for trout/panfish

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Who is using BFS casting gear for trout/panfish

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:12 am

LowRange wrote:If you would like to try out this BFS thing and want to keep the cost down, I would recommend a Daiwa Tatula CT and a Ray's Studio DIY spool for Tatula CT. Total cost should be around $135. If you find out that BFS isn't for you, you'll still have a Tatula CT with stock spool to use.

Daiwa Tatula CT: https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-TACT100H-T ... iwa+tatula

Tatula CT DIY spool: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-fis ... 87bb5f86a4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-DAIWA-TATUL ... b1FiiLmtKw
This^

For those that just want to try out BFS on a budget, pair the above reel/spool with an Ugly Stik Elite UL rod:

http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-rods-c ... 65092.html

I like fishing with the rod so much I'm stripping off the guides and replacing them with Fuji K Alconite mid-micros.

It is an even better match with the Tat CT Type-R if you want to splurge a bit :)

DaveJ

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:33 pm

Links for those interested:

http://www.finesse-fishing.com/finesse- ... -rods.html ---- Gear

http://www.finesse-fishing.com/shop-spinning-line.html ----- Line

This is where I bought the rod and line. Really nice to see a shop opening for the ultralight JDM enthusiast!

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Nice! It seems like it is owned by the guy who runs tenkarabum.com. By all accounts he is a stand up guy and great to deal with. Really looking forward to seeing what he has to offer.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:15 am

Houndfish wrote:Nice! It seems like it is owned by the guy who runs tenkarabum.com. By all accounts he is a stand up guy and great to deal with. Really looking forward to seeing what he has to offer.
Yes, same guy. I have bought many things from him on Tenkarabum.com. Great guy!

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:16 am

Can someone please PM me who I can send some pictures to to put up on here. Presso AGS 62ML-B is in a box at home!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:49 am

Jrob wrote:Here's a list of bait finesse system trout rods I have found in my research. This is not complete so please ad any you can think of. These are designed for the Japanese market. Some are for native trout (think streams/rivers). Some are made for area trout (think stocked ponds with large fish at times). There are many manufacturers that make rods for this purpose. I won't list all the model numbers but give you an idea of what to research.
Daiwa: Silver Creek AGS, Silver Creek,Wise Stream, Presso AGS, and Area Bum.
Shimano: Cardiff NX, AX
Tenryu: search the Rayz series of rods
Smith JP: Be Sticky trout models
Megabass: Great Hunting Trout Rod
Abu Garcia:Diplomat, Troutin Marquis, Massbeat Extreme
Palms: egeria
Major Craft Fine Tail series

Reels:
Shimano :Aldebaran BFS (XG limited and XG), Calcutta Conquest BFS, Scorpion BFS,
Daiwa: SS Air, T3, Alphas Air
Abu Garcia: Revo LTX-BF8

Many reels can be modified with specialized parts to make them "BFS" reels. Those are just a few of the best out of the box BFS ready models available. Again, please ad any others you can think of or come across. I want to help anyone in their quest! :)
I see that you have the Aldabaran and Conquest BFS. How would you compare the two, what are the pros and cons, which one would you pick if you could only have one?

Thanks!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:42 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Jrob wrote:Here's a list of bait finesse system trout rods I have found in my research. This is not complete so please ad any you can think of. These are designed for the Japanese market. Some are for native trout (think streams/rivers). Some are made for area trout (think stocked ponds with large fish at times). There are many manufacturers that make rods for this purpose. I won't list all the model numbers but give you an idea of what to research.

Reels:
Shimano :Aldebaran BFS (XG limited and XG), Calcutta Conquest BFS, Scorpion BFS,

Many reels can be modified with specialized parts to make them "BFS" reels. Those are just a few of the best out of the box BFS ready models available. Again, please ad any others you can think of or come across. I want to help anyone in their quest! :)
I see that you have the Aldabaran and Conquest BFS. How would you compare the two, what are the pros and cons, which one would you pick if you could only have one?

Thanks!
The Aldebaran is lighter and has a faster gear ratio. The Conquest is more refined and solid.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:01 pm

ccass wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

Reels:

Thanks!
The Aldebaran is lighter and has a faster gear ratio. The Conquest is more refined and solid.
Thanks. Got the Alde BFS and since I was still craving the Conquest feel in small form factor (i have the 401) I got the 101HG in mint condition for 280 USD.

Havent used the Aldebaran BFS much yet (winter time is big swimbait time ;) )

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:12 pm

I have 2 JDM rods and a Scorpion BFS now and a Alphas Air , and a Conquest BFS on the way . I will be experimenting with 2 fly rod blanks building them into rods for trout and perch UL and XXUL BFS rods . It is going to be a very interesting new year .

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:14 am

RIng wrote:I have 2 JDM rods and a Scorpion BFS now and a Alphas Air , and a Conquest BFS on the way . I will be experimenting with 2 fly rod blanks building them into rods for trout and perch UL and XXUL BFS rods . It is going to be a very interesting new year .
How will you bind the guides? Spiral or normal placement? Have a 3 piece 8wt I am thinking of using for something similar. TIA.

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:27 am

I will be warping them on straight .

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:46 am

Any new reviews/comments of BFS gear guys?
I am trying to get into over here in the west but not much to be found in this area and not really wanting to start randomly ordering rods from Japan ................
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:46 am

Not trying to be a smart a**, but you might get more activity if you started a new thread, not everyone looks at a new post on the 4th page of an existing thread.

As to any no reviews, there are some really knowledgeable people on this board who have a lot more experience with the newer BFS gear than me, I’ve got 5 or six rodsan$ 5 reels that meet my current needs, but based upon what I’ve read here, I’m strongly considering another purchase in the next few weeks,

rajiv97
Angler
Angler

Post by rajiv97 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:15 am

Jrob wrote:My quest started with BFS Bass fishing. I was fascinated that I could almost eliminate my need for a spinning setup by casting light stuff on baitcasters. I have always loved UL fishing and soon found the bait finesse system for trout in Japan. To date I have owned and fished the Major Craft Fine Tail 4'10" UL , 5'4" UL, Daiwa Presso AGS 60L-B, Smith Be Sticky 5'7" UL,and Daiwa Silver Creek AGS 52L-B. Reels I have used include Shimano Aldebaran BFS limited and XG, Daiwa SS Air, and Daiwa Alphas Air. I find that for small lure fishing for trout/panfish there is no equal in accuracy and control. Just too much fun ! I hope this thread grows.
Sorry for reopening an old thread. Just recently going through my options for a new bfs reel. How would you compare the alphas air to the 2016 aldebaran bfs xg? (The one with magnetic brakes)

Norseman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Norseman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:41 pm

I lokked at what would have been BFS 10 years ago, but could not afford to buy and build up a decent reel. SO I continued with my UL fixed spool setup. And have been fishing with that same old rod and reel combo for 15 years now in the lakes here on my north Norwegian island.

Just discovered that I have worn a groove into the top ring of my only UL rod, a Shimano Beastmaster UL165 after one and half decade of use :-)
So I srated looking for a change. I hade a 6-12lb baitcasting rod laying about doing nothing. So just to have it paired up with a reel, I ordcered one of them cheap china reels. And when I took it out to test I got curious on how low I could go. I had just spooled the thinnest line I currently had laying about, a 0.18 braid. And that thinng had no problem casting 6 gram lures as far as I could throw 4 gram lures with my shimano UL rod and a fixed spool. And that with a relatively thick line on a quite heavy rod compared to my UL setup.

Onto youtube....and shortly found out that there are a few cheaper options out of China, and impressed with the reel I just got,
I want to go further...so I have ordered a couple of rods, and a lightweight shallow spool for the kastking reel, as well as a Tsurinayo fx50 I think it was.
If that one can cast a 4 gram spinner as far as my current fixed spool setup, I am not looking back, as I love bait casters for my heavier fishing. UL fishing is the only class of fishing I am not using baitcasters for.
And I see no reason not to use it on trout appart from economy and availability of gear.
I'll need to practice precission casting though...