Who is using BFS casting gear for trout/panfish

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Who is using BFS casting gear for trout/panfish

Post by ss30378 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:31 am

Bootytrain wrote:
ss30378 wrote:I side arm and 3/4 overhead usually. The rivers I fish are usually pretty clear so I can spot a fish from a ways off and I can position myself to get a soft cast into where I need it to go. I've gotten pretty decent at roll casting with the light lures which has helped in areas where I can wind up to cast.
Try a short trout rod.. you can literally just use your wrist and flick the lure out there without having to use your elbow or shoulder.
I'm very tempted to, a 4'6"-5' would be an excellent wading rod

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:18 am

ss30378 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
ss30378 wrote:I side arm and 3/4 overhead usually. The rivers I fish are usually pretty clear so I can spot a fish from a ways off and I can position myself to get a soft cast into where I need it to go. I've gotten pretty decent at roll casting with the light lures which has helped in areas where I can wind up to cast.
Try a short trout rod.. you can literally just use your wrist and flick the lure out there without having to use your elbow or shoulder.
I'm very tempted to, a 4'6"-5' would be an excellent wading rod
It's a very sweet feeling. I usually use a low, wrist flick and the lure flies right above the water and is deadly accurate and quiet compared to spinning gear. BFS also cuts down the amount of time it takes to cast. I can effeciently work shorelines like a boss
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:36 am

Anyone here use Varivas Bait Finesse PE or Bait Finesse Nylon?

What line(s) do you use when using BFS for trout?
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:02 pm

CM_Stewart wrote:Anyone here use Varivas Bait Finesse PE or Bait Finesse Nylon?

What line(s) do you use when using BFS for trout?
I have not. Seeing it's popularity in Japan has had me want to try it though. I'm courious to hear others thoughts ,experience myself .

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:36 am

I saw some Japanese youtuber even using short L or UL spinning rod with their BFS casting reels...

I have tried to use some 42" ice casting rod for river wader fishing... not trout but angry smallies... have to admit I did have a lot of fun with short rod :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

As far as casting distance is not a bit deal, shorter rod will help you to feel more when fish is pissed off ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Bootytrain wrote:
"North" of America...

replica66[]
Angler
Angler

Post by replica66[] » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:44 am

I'm fairly new here… so what is BFS? Something to do with baitcasting gear?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:58 am

replica66[] wrote:I'm fairly new here… so what is BFS? Something to do with baitcasting gear?
Bait Finesse System (or Setup)

You're correct, it's basically using casting gear to throw smaller baits on light line. It's just another offshoot of the proven strategy of targeting pressured fish with subtle or smaller offerings.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:54 am

^ Pretty much, you won't go back to spinning gear after using a bfs combo :)

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:19 am

whats this spinning gear you speak of?

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Black Haze wrote:whats this spinning gear you speak of?
It's that gear you keep in the attic unless it's raining really hard and you don't want bits of sand/mud getting inside your reel and damaging your shallow spool lol.
Last edited by southpaw619 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:26 pm

the hooligan wrote:^ Pretty much, you won't go back to spinning gear after using a bfs combo :)
Lol! No joke! I have a new Daiwa Presso AGS 62ML-B rod in the mail!! Excited! I'm also trying some of the Sunline troutist darkness nylon line.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Jrob wrote:
the hooligan wrote:^ Pretty much, you won't go back to spinning gear after using a bfs combo :)
Lol! No joke! I have a new Daiwa Presso AGS 62ML-B rod in the mail!! Excited! I'm also trying some of the Sunline troutist darkness nylon line.
Where did you find it? I thought they were a limited run and sold out?

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Jrob wrote:
Where did you find it? I thought they were a limited run and sold out?
I ordered both through Finesse-Fishing.com. Chris with Tenkarabum.com decided to start selling JDM high end trout/ultralight conventional gear! First JDM trout/ ultralight specific shop in the US I know of! Really cool ! Was it the line or rod you thought was limited edition? The Presso AGS 62ML-B is now listed on Daiwa's Japan sit.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Jrob wrote: I ordered both through Finesse-Fishing.com. Chris with Tenkarabum.com decided to start selling JDM high end trout/ultralight conventional gear! First JDM trout/ ultralight specific shop in the US I know of! Really cool ! Was it the line or rod you thought was limited edition? The Presso AGS 62ML-B is now listed on Daiwa's Japan sit.
Is he listing any of those items on his site? Casting gear and line? Not seeing it

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:35 am

Some of it is up when I checked last. Site says he is still constructing. There are a few rods,line listed now. He will be carrying reels too.