Who is using BFS casting gear for trout/panfish

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Who is using BFS casting gear for trout/panfish

Post by Jrob » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:04 am

LowRange wrote:
the hooligan wrote:Great thread, most of you guys know I'm a bfs junky. I honestly fish for all species on bfs gear but hope to build a nice mountain trout stream combo this year. Thinking new cq bfs hg, undecided on rods. Wish some of the newer Shimano trout rods had more bc models.
A CQ BFS would look adorable/awesome on a Finetail.
True. I want to try the newest Fine Tail light power bait models.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:46 am

I want to try the newest Fine Tail light power bait models.
Jrob, I hope that's light power, bait models rather than light, powerbait models. :roll:
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:57 am

You guys have got me interested . I've got a 5'6" custom UL casting Rod I had built from a UL spinning blank . Had it made to pair up with a Zebco Omega Pro Z02 reel . The spincaster is a little slow for what I wanted to use it for .
I'm going to give it a try with my Daiwa Lexa 100 with some six pound mono and see if I can throw a 1/16th spinnerbait . I like to use a safety pin spinner with 2-3" curlytail on a 1/16 jighead with my spinning outfits . I think I might enjoy using the baitcaster sometime with these and my small crankbaits . Gillchaser

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:11 am

CM_Stewart wrote:
I want to try the newest Fine Tail light power bait models.
Jrob, I hope that's light power, bait models rather than light, powerbait models. :roll:
Yes. Light power, bait cast model. Lol

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:14 am

gillchaser wrote:You guys have got me interested . I've got a 5'6" custom UL casting Rod I had built from a UL spinning blank . Had it made to pair up with a Zebco Omega Pro Z02 reel . The spincaster is a little slow for what I wanted to use it for .
I'm going to give it a try with my Daiwa Lexa 100 with some six pound mono and see if I can throw a 1/16th spinnerbait . I like to use a safety pin spinner with 2-3" curlytail on a 1/16 jighead with my spinning outfits . I think I might enjoy using the baitcaster sometime with these and my small crankbaits . Gillchaser
Warning. There is no going back once the BFS bug hits you. Lol. The UL casting rod with one of the newest BFS lightweight reels will have you smiling ear to ear on the water.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:30 am

CM_Stewart wrote:Dalleinf, are you not allowed to wade or is the water too deep?

I live in the northeastern US and here the streams are so overgrown that if you don't wade there are very few spots where you can make a cast.
Chris, I think that I am allowed to wade in the streams I have access to. However, most are too deep or the stream floor is sandy/muddy and not suitable for walking (I guess I could almost call it quick sand). Therefore, I never wade the streams. Still, for many streams, I have to wear waders (or at least thigh-high boots or hip waders) just to walk along the streams and not get wet.
Many streams are overgrown here as well, but I normally manage to fish some spots. If trees are a problem, I go for a short rod (5-7 foot). If reed-growth/vegetation is dense along the bank, I go for a long rod (9-11 foot). I rarely encounter both challenges at once :-)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:42 am

gillchaser wrote:You guys have got me interested . I've got a 5'6" custom UL casting Rod I had built from a UL spinning blank . Had it made to pair up with a Zebco Omega Pro Z02 reel . The spincaster is a little slow for what I wanted to use it for .
That Lexa isn't going to cast a bait that light weight worth a darn. The spool is too heavy. What is needed to cast a 1/16 lead head and grub is to reduce the moment of inertia of the spool on a baitcast reel which is accomplished purchasing an aftermarket BFS spool for that platform or purchasing a reel with a finesses spool already in it. If you would like to try out this BFS thing and want to keep the cost down, I would recommend a Daiwa Tatula CT and a Ray's Studio DIY spool for Tatula CT. Total cost should be around $135. If you find out that BFS isn't for you, you'll still have a Tatula CT with stock spool to use.

Daiwa Tatula CT: https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-TACT100H-T ... iwa+tatula

Tatula CT DIY spool: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-fis ... 87bb5f86a4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-DAIWA-TATUL ... b1FiiLmtKw

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:17 am

LowRange wrote:
That Lexa isn't going to cast a bait that light weight worth a darn. The spool is too heavy. What is needed to cast a 1/16 lead head and grub is to reduce the moment of inertia of the spool on a baitcast reel which is accomplished purchasing an aftermarket BFS spool for that platform or purchasing a reel with a finesses spool already in it. If you would like to try out this BFS thing and want to keep the cost down, I would recommend a Daiwa Tatula CT and a Ray's Studio DIY spool for Tatula CT. Total cost should be around $135. If you find out that BFS isn't for you, you'll still have a Tatula CT with stock spool to use.

Daiwa Tatula CT: https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-TACT100H-T ... iwa+tatula

Tatula CT DIY spool: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-fis ... 87bb5f86a4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-DAIWA-TATUL ... b1FiiLmtKw
Thanks for the links . I tried a few lawn cast this afternoon when the our temperature peaked at 31 :) and was able to make several casts without backlashing . Maybe different on the water . And if I find this is for me I'll have the links and will be looking at the Tatula . I've been looking at one for awhile , but wasn't sure which one to get . Gillchaser

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:04 am

I use BFS gear for trout, but now I use trout gear for bass in smaller creeks and it's quite fun. Catching a 2lb bass in a foot of water where you wouldnt think there would be anything is one of the purest forms of fishing imo.

Looks like trout bait casting rods are starting to become a thing. There were always options but now there are even more options than ever. Megabass even got into it with the great hunting.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:43 am

Bootytrain wrote:I use BFS gear for trout, but now I use trout gear for bass in smaller creeks and it's quite fun. Catching a 2lb bass in a foot of water where you wouldnt think there would be anything is one of the purest forms of fishing imo.

Looks like trout bait casting rods are starting to become a thing. There were always options but now there are even more options than ever. Megabass even got into it with the great hunting.
I agree! Just too much fun! Yes, it seems there are more and more options every year.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:46 pm

I wade small rivers and streams here in north AL, not too many trout (there are a few) in these parts but we have some nice perch, large/small mouth, big gills, catfish, gar and a few other species. I was using ultralight spinning gear up until a few years ago. Once I was able to cast small baits with casting gear that has taken over. Now I wade and sight fish with my bfs setups. The casting gear has the ability to land lures more softly than spinning gear and is more accurate at hitting small targets making it a much better choice in my hands.

My true bfs reels I have or had with lowest weights I've successfully used:
Calcutta 50 with avail spool (3g)
Shimano 50s (Core, scorpion, aldebaran) with avail spool (1.3g)
Aldebaran 50hg (2015) with ktf spool (1.3g)
Aldebaran bfs xg (2016) (.9g)
SS AIR (1.3g)
Alphas Air (1.3g)
Alphas ITO AI with cosugi works spool (1.3g)
Pixy's with IZE finesse spool (2.3g)
Alphas SV (2.5g)

Rods bfs capable with the lowest weight I've successfully cast:
Jackson STC 6'4" L (1.3g)
St Croix legend inshore 6'6" XL (.9g)
Tatula 6101MXB (2.5g)
St Croix legend elite 6'8" M XF (Not true BFS but the soft XF tip can cast down to 3g)

Rod Notes:
The legend inshore is the closest thing I have to a trout rod taper. Its a great rod light weight (3.15oz) for inline spinners and cranks or for small hooks that can bend or get ripped out of mouths easily. The jackson is a great micro jig and small jerkbait rod, weighs 2.9oz. These two rods can cover all my bfs needs but I like to try as much stuff as i can.

Reel Notes:
Out of the reels all are different in the experience they give but my standouts are, the 16 aldebaran bfs is probably the best at casting the very light I've used, feels very tiny in hand and is very smooth. The ss air is larger in hand but I had one particular specimen (owned 3 total) that was probably the smoothest most precision feeling reel I've ever owned and always put a smile on my face. The Alphas ITO is the prettiest reel I've had with number 2 being a zillion pe special.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:31 am

Ss30378, do you perform overhead casts - or more low trajectory casts (sidearm or pitching)?
If reeds are problem, I find it difficult to pitch and instead turn to longer overhead casts. Only problem is that overhead casts make more noise.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:48 am

I side arm and 3/4 overhead usually. The rivers I fish are usually pretty clear so I can spot a fish from a ways off and I can position myself to get a soft cast into where I need it to go. I've gotten pretty decent at roll casting with the light lures which has helped in areas where I cant wind up to cast.
Last edited by ss30378 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:54 am

I also got a Legend Inshore UL paired with a pixy and its a fun combo that I always use for trouting. I deceided to bring it in my last walleye/pike trip and landed a 14-15 pound pike with it, it was pretty awesome.

I also use a alde bfs xg limited on a zodias ml, this year I just picked a new combo, 16 alde bfs xg with a nice second hand 68L volkey. Cant wait to try that new setup. I usually put #10 braid on my bfs reels with a #10 fluoro leader.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:19 am

ss30378 wrote:I side arm and 3/4 overhead usually. The rivers I fish are usually pretty clear so I can spot a fish from a ways off and I can position myself to get a soft cast into where I need it to go. I've gotten pretty decent at roll casting with the light lures which has helped in areas where I can wind up to cast.
Try a short trout rod.. you can literally just use your wrist and flick the lure out there without having to use your elbow or shoulder.