Diawa Procyon 6 footer

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Diawa Procyon 6 footer

Post by gillchaser » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:39 am

Anybody try the newer Procyon UL Rod PRCN602ULFS ? I'd been waiting for somebody to give a review on one and decided to order one myself . I'm hoping it has a similiar feel as my older 7' Procyon . Six foot is the only length the new Procyon comes in .
Should be here mid next week if it survives shipping . I'm hoping it is Xfast , as I'm hoping to use it for small plastics LM bass fishing . Particularly, weightless 3" Stickbaits with 4# line .
One of the newer local water reservoirs reports having an over population of 12-16" LM . Should provide some gun afternoons. Gillchaser

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Diawa Procyon 6 footer

Post by Smead » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:17 pm

You're probably the 1st here to get one. I always wondered why the new Procyons only had that one UL rod when the new Presso UL rod line was also being introduced at the same time. Maybe they wanted a rod line to match the Procyon reels.

I bought two of the older Procyons, 7' and 6'6", when they discontinued them. They seem to fall between the St Croix Premier and Avid UL rods. A real deal too given what they cost.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:28 am

Smead wrote:You're probably the 1st here to get one. I always wondered why the new Procyons only had that one UL rod when the new Presso UL rod line was also being introduced at the same time. Maybe they wanted a rod line to match the Procyon reels.

I bought two of the older Procyons, 7' and 6'6", when they discontinued them. They seem to fall between the St Croix Premier and Avid UL rods. A real deal too given what they cost.
I was actually able to pickup a couple of the older Procyons , both seven footers . I like their action and feel . I kept putting off ordering a six footer until they sold out . I like a 5'6"-6' Rod for accuracy , the longer rods , for throwing a float n fly .
I'll let you know what I think about the new one , if the weather clears up between now and spring .
Meanwhile I've picked up a five foot six Lews Wally Marshall Pro Series Rod. It's labeled a ML , but with lure weight at 1/32-1/8 and line 2-8 , it's more of an UL. I drove to Cabelas to hold one before buying . I wanted a 6' but most places are out of them except on Amazon and they have them priced more than suggested retail . $39.99 is suggested retail on them . They are IM8 construction . The rod feels good and balances perfect with my white Shimano Stradic 1000 .
Haven't had a chance to try it out and get it slimed up . Gillchaser

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:05 am

Fished the new 6' Procyon this afternoon. I like the rod . I fished it with a 1/64 Trout Magnet jighead and 1" curlytails. Started off with chartreuse with green glitter and never changed . Caught 10 gills with one about the size of my hand and two LM bass , one about 7" the other close to 14" . The rod performed well .
Going to give it another workout tomorrow before the snow hits this weekend . Gillchaser

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:01 pm

I spent about four hours at our local water reservoir with my brother throwing micro jigs with my new Procyon . I really being to like this Rod a lot . Today I had it rigged with a Shimano Symetre 500FL loaded with 2# Pline .
The weather was nice , cloudy to partly cloudy with the high near 70 . Water temps were from 50-53 degrees . The 53 was found in the upper end of the lake on a bog flat and that's where we found the gills . Nothing big , but some healthy thick ones that were holding on the banks . We were looking for crappies but didn't find any . I caught 23 gills , two LM , my brother caught around 15 once he tied on one of my jigs .
Great way to spend a January afternoon . Gillchaser