JDM UL rods are tough.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

JDM UL rods are tough.

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:32 am

I knew sooner or later I would do something to break one of my JDM solid tip UL rods. Well that sort of happened this past week. I was throwing cranks on the Caney Fork river for trout. The rod was a Major Craft Truzer 6' 5" "H" Ajing. I was using 5# test NanoFil line. I went to cast and noticed there was a mess of line wrapped around the tip about 5 inches down. The Nanofil had caught in what was apparently a nick in the solid rod tip.....at least that is what I think happened. The line acted like a razor blade peeling a very small sliver off of about 3 inches of the tip...no thicker than a sheet of paper. I pulled the sliver off and inspected the rod closer. The damage is not visible to the eye at all. You can feel it...although even that is hard to do. Needless to say I was sick. It is one of my favorite rods. But I continued to fish with it....catching numerous 18-20 inch brown trout with it. I was thinking about ordering a new one but after thinking about it I will wait until it does break to do so. I kept thinking it would break on a fish. I don't know if and when it will break while fishing. If it does I will just order another one. These rods are much tougher than they look.

Regards

DragonEEL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: JDM UL rods are tough.

Post by DragonEEL » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:03 am

Alphahawk,
After reading multiple reviews from you regarding UL JDM rods, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 7'4" version of the same rod. One thing I was hesitant on was the tip. I broke 3 tips on my iron feather before they went to a solid tip model. Hopefully the truzer will be just as good or better. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow with some jigs for planter trout. Thanks for all your input on this forum.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:22 pm

DragonEEL wrote:Alphahawk,
After reading multiple reviews from you regarding UL JDM rods, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 7'4" version of the same rod. One thing I was hesitant on was the tip. I broke 3 tips on my iron feather before they went to a solid tip model. Hopefully the truzer will be just as good or better. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow with some jigs for planter trout. Thanks for all your input on this forum.
Thanks for the comment. I have been thinking about getting the 7' 4" Truzer. Will be interested to hear how it fishes. I have often wondered about the Iron Feather and if any JDM rods are similar.....I don't think there are. I do know that I will continue to try different JDM rods. I am waiting to see if Major Craft gets any of the Nano blanks into any of their top line rods.

Regards

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:54 am

Those tips are so darn thin I'm not even sure if there is a finish on them. I hope it stays in one pc for you. Breaking a Truzer with no warranty would be a big ouchie.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:03 am

I posted in the rods forums but majorcraft has brought a few lines of their rods stateside finally so you have a warranty option now.

http://majorcraft-america.com/