2 Lb test fluorescent mono?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
replica66[]
Angler
Angler

2 Lb test fluorescent mono?

Post by replica66[] » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:53 pm

I enjoy using monofilament lines for my Bluegill and Redear fishing and want to know what companies make a 2 lb test in a fluorescent color. Stren made it at one time, and I have used Vicious. Are there any others?

ez2cdave
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: 2 Lb test fluorescent mono?

Post by ez2cdave » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:27 am

I found this, but have no info about it . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-NEW-SPOOLS-FI ... 1947656476

Tight Lines !
Last edited by ez2cdave on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ez2cdave
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ez2cdave » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:32 am

replica66[]
Angler
Angler

Post by replica66[] » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:43 am

Thanks, but I'm not sure about the quality of 2 lb mono made by South Bend. It could be fine..

ez2cdave
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ez2cdave » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:00 am

Berkley makes premium-quality line . . . 2nd Link "Micro Ice"

Tight Lines !

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:34 am

PLine makes a 2# clear Fluorescent in their CX Premium line . Bass Pro Shop carries it on line . Pline makes some good mono , actually it's a copolymer . Diameter is 0.11 mm .
I've been using PLine PF in smoke blue Original in 2# test . I bought it on a 3000 yard spool off Amazon . It's strong for 2# line and I can cast further with it .
I also like An40 Silverthread in 4# . It looks to be as thin as the 2# Pline and also casts well . Gillchaser
Edit : link to the Pline . http://t.basspro.com/PLine-CX-Premium-F ... duct/8602/

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:19 am

Seaguar makes Senshi clear fluorescent. I am not sure it is available in 2# but the weights I have used it in, it preformed well.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:25 am

Not mono . . . but I thought I'd mention that Sufix Nanobraid, all Dyneema fibers and a true braided line, is available down to 2 lbs. test.

I bought some just to give it a go planning to pair it up with a 1000 series reel and an ultralight 6'9" rod.

I need to experiment with leaders so I suppose I better review the list of light monos listed here, any tiny fluorocarbon lines, too.

Hmm??? I wonder about the knot tying aspects of junction knots working with such fine and light lines, how careful one has to be to cinch them down effectively, say tying an Albright knot?

Brad

replica66[]
Angler
Angler

Post by replica66[] » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:58 am

Brad, That's what I worry about too. The knots needed to join the braid to a fine leader. Not only do I worry about the knots themselves, but also about them passing through the guides while casting and fighting a fish. So I'll just keep it simple with straight mono or a co-polymer. We've caught some huge fish this way with very few break offs!

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:42 pm

replica66/all,

My concerns, too, that while the 2 lbs. braid is likely a stellar product, most Sufix lines are, the issue becomes how does one find an ultralight mono or fluorocarbon line that is small enough to attach as a short leader to something that is .001" in diameter. I have my misgivings about 2 lbs. braid (so tiny) to, say, 4 lbs. fluorocarbon (tiny but much larger). And, pulling down on the junction knot to embed the braid into the leader material? That could be dicey as you don't have much room for error. Some learning curve.

Just a guess that at .001" that the line is so very thin that a leader might not be an issue at all, not requiring a leader. I'll begin by tying on directly to it so I can report back on the merits of braid in this small size.

I have always preferred finesse fishing, never liked swinging large crankbaits for lmbs, so what I am doing is pushing myself down in size. I picked up a St. Croix Avid Series Inshore ML, 7', fast tip and it is rated 6-12 line weight and 1/8th to 1/2 lure weight. I bought it used and will pair it up with an existing Stradic CI4+ 2500 series and for this one, I suppose I'll cheat up toward 8 to 10 lbs. braid (I use Sufix 832 now) and 6 to 8 lbs. leader, something like that for bass using drop shots and other finesse presentations.

But, I got this itch to go "smaller" and ordered a St Croix PFS69ULF, the longest at 6' 9" of their ultralight rods for panfish with a line rating of 2-6 test and 1/32 to 3/16s for lures. I'll match it with a Stradic CI4+ 1000 series and this is the set-up I'll try the 2 lbs. braid on. If I don't like it, I think I'll move up to 4 lbs. in either a recommended mono or perhaps a fluorocarbon.

The rod length is a clue to my intentions: not so much to hang it down over brush off the kayak but perhaps to shoot some docks, flip and pitch, make some decent casts with grubs and jigs, and yes, even give some of the tiny top waters and crankbaits a try.

The ultralight rod is on back order until January but once I get it all rigged up, I'll post a subject topic titled with "Sufix Nanobraid" to give a report for everyone. I live less than a mile from the Texas Freshwater Fisheries on Lake Athens and it has a nice fishing lake I'll use to do some testing. It is stocked with trout but I believe it has a large population of well-fed bluegills, too.

More later. Brad