Smallest Catch

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Smallest Catch

Post by CM_Stewart » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:24 am

gillchaser,

Not sure what the problem could be. If I can see them I can usually get them to hit just about anything. Size 18 is too large for the smallest micros, but even small sunfish should take either flies or bait if you put it in front of them.

If you are on Facebook, there are Micro-Fishing and Tenkara Micro Fishing groups, both of which have GA anglers. I'm in NY and this time of year it is cold enough it is hard to get anything to bite. I rarely even see micros in the winter.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:34 am

Chris , we've had warm weather the last few days including a record 75 today . That's why I can't understand why they're not biting . The town pond I've been fishing is small and warms quickly when the weather is like what we've been having . Small fish could be seen all around the banks . Pond is probably 3-4 acres .
I usually have pretty good luck at the pond , even when colder . Gillchaser

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:41 am

Sounds like they're taking "Not a creature was stirring..." way too seriously.
Chris Stewart

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:36 am

gillchaser wrote:I've watched most of the videos on micro fishing . Looks simple enough . Then why have I struck out on my last three fishing trips where I've targeted the little ones ? Used pieces of hotdog , Gulp maggots, and bread doughballs and I'm batting zero .
I've used UL spinning with 2# mono ,and a long pole with a 2# tippet , with a size 18 hook . That's about as small as I can see to tie on and bait .
I can see the bluegill ( at least I think that's what they are ) fry and minnows , but can't get them to bite . I've tried tiny flies and jigs too . Zero ! Zilch . Frustrated !
The only time out this week that I caught anything was an hour late one evening last week where using my little jigs I managed to catch a three finger bluegill and a nice quarter pounder shellcracker . Gillchaser
Red worms or pieces of night crawlers under a bobber.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:33 pm

Rather than pieces of night crawler, I would suggest pieces of red worm. If the size 18 hook is the smallest you have or can see to tie on, use it with no more than 1/4" of red worm and 1/8" would do. If you can see the fish, use your long pole. One size 10 split shot if you need any weight at all. You probably can't find a bobber small enough. A foam stick-on fly fishing "indicator" would be sufficient, as would a Unibobber (sold for fly tying to make flies unsinkable, but they work for micro fishing floats as well). If you don't need the weight but do need a float for strike detection, a wooden match stick would be sufficient (but it won't hold up a #10 shot, so if you do need weight you'll need a more buoyant float). If you chase gills with panfish poppers, they'd make good floats, too, as long as your split shot is small enough.
Chris Stewart

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:30 pm

I don't fish with worms , crickets , or other live baits , I quit over fifty years ago when I found I could catch fish and keep my hands clean . :) If I can't catch them on other baits , man made , or totally artificial , lures or flies , then I'll just go back to my chasing gills in general .
The thought of catching something tiny caught my attention , but I don't like going fishing without catching something . If they won't cooperate , there's others that will .
I plan on going tomorrow if the weather holds , the forecast changes every hour it seems . ( they need a new dart board , I guess) and I will change my concentration back to water coverage and will be experimenting with different rigs trying to expand my casting distance from shore . It's my opinion , with every foot in casting gained , I cover a bigger potential fish holding area and increase my odds of catching something .
With changing weather conditions almost daily this time of year , the fish are constantly moving from shallow flats to deeper water and back , in the small ponds I fish .
Because of the small , sometimes tiny lures I use , I catch fish of all sizes including some I would consider a micro .
Thanks for all of the suggestions . Gillchaser

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:56 am

I'll ask again. How are you presenting flies?
If it is other than with a fly rod you may wish to try that option. It is one of the very best proven ways to present the very smallest flies with the very best presentation at the very farthest distances...when all else fails.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:52 am

Mike and Pike wrote:I'll ask again. How are you presenting flies?
If it is other than with a fly rod you may wish to try that option. It is one of the very best proven ways to present the very smallest flies with the very best presentation at the very farthest distances...when all else fails.
Under a Trout Magnet float or a Thill ice float .
I own probably 25 flyrods , most of which are 4 wt. or lighter , and under 7' . Because of tennis elbow I haven't used them in a couple years . Used to be the only way I fished for years . One of my favorite ways to fish was to roll cast a 5'9" 3wt fiberglass Rod parallel to the shore a few feet out . I'm using the same flies , with a float , 2# line , and an UL spinning outfit. Gillchaser

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:23 am

gillchaser wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:I'll ask again. How are you presenting flies?
Under a Trout Magnet float or a Thill ice float .
I own probably 25 flyrods , most of which are 4 wt. or lighter , and under 7' . Because of tennis elbow I haven't used them in a couple years . Used to be the only way I fished for years . One of my favorite ways to fish was to roll cast a 5'9" 3wt fiberglass Rod parallel to the shore a few feet out . I'm using the same flies , with a float , 2# line , and an UL spinning outfit. Gillchaser
It's a shame you not been able to take advantage of them. I'm sure you know how effective fly fishing can be. Roll casting small stuff in small tight quarters is great.
Good luck with the gills.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks Mike , growing old is tough , we adapt to do the things we enjoy . I've adapted :) . I tie flies on small jigs , as small as 1/100th , that resemble the flies I used with success with mu flyrods . using a weighted float I'm able to cast them with UL spinning . I'm sure it's a system that's not new , but it's the one I use to replace my fly fishing . And it works ! Gillchaser

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:08 am

Spent the day with my brother fishing two lakes and a river . Man do I have a skunk on . I seem to have lost my mojo or something . I can't catch a cold . :( threw jig and float , and beetle spins all day . Tried plastic and tied from 1/80th to 1/16th . Had two short strikes and that's it .
Weather was foggy morning with partly cloudy skies rest of the day , highs in low 70's . Beautiful weather .
I'm going to have to make a trip to a friend's private pond to get this skunk off . That's the last place I caught anything .
Maybe I need a new Rod , hmmmmm that might work . Couldn't hurt . :) Gillchaser

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:27 am

Consider yourself lucky. I was out the last two weekends. Didn't see a fish but DID catch a cold!
Chris Stewart

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:15 am

Well I did it ! I ordered myself a new Rod . A Diawa Procyon 6' UL . I've been looking at them for awhile waiting for someone to buy on and do a good review on it . Maybe I'll bring me some luck . Only thing is today the high temp is going to be in the upper 60's , tomorrow maybe 50 . :( .
Think I'll be changing species to concentrate on . Time to break out the plastic worms and do a little wacky worm fishing . Gillchaser

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:37 pm

Here is my small collection of small fish:

This is the first fish I ever caught;
And this is my first bass;
but this is the smallest fish I have ever caught on a lure, not bait;

I have been drooling over tiny tenkara rods for a while now but have not yet pulled the trigger.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:41 am

Houndfish wrote:
I have been drooling over tiny tenkara rods for a while now but have not yet pulled the trigger.
Before spending a lot money on Tenkara rods , take a look at the Lew's bream stick in the 9' size . I've recently ordered several different extendable poles and the Lew's seems to be the best for the money . It's a graphite composite . I picked one up for around $12 , I think I ordered it from Gander Mt. . Gillchaser