JAWS moment

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

JAWS moment

Post by Bryin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:15 am

I had a moment on the Juniata last night that I have not had in a while... I was fishing my TICT Rockin Finesse with 3lb Nanofil and a .005 or 6x or 3lb leader with some small jigs (1/32 or so and pretty small) ... I caught the normal stew of smallies, rock bass, panfish, dace and fallfish- plus what might have been a small pickerel or musky...

Then I hooked into something that I nothing for... he just ran downstream with none of the antics of a smallie or a large trout... like a train... then he came back at me and turned and the leader broke... I think it was cut off, it did not feel like I was at the limit of it's strength (and I have caught 3lb largemouth and 4lb smallies on this tackle plus some big trout so I know what it will hold)... I think it was a musky... but never got even a glimpse as it was in a deep pool...

Whenever I hook into something like that my mind always goes to the scene in Jaws where Brody tells Quinn "I think we are gonna need a bigger boat"... I needed bigger tackle... but such is the life of UL fishing... and I love it... if I had landed it would have been something...

I am sure many of you have had the same moment... feel free to share, especially if you landed a monster...

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: JAWS moment

Post by bigreddog » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:55 am

I recently had a similar experience - but in my case it was a 4lb channel catfish.

Those "Oh sh!t" moments are what makes ultralight fishing so much fun.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:42 am

bigreddog wrote:I recently had a similar experience - but in my case it was a 4lb channel catfish.

Those "Oh sh!t" moments are what makes ultralight fishing so much fun.
Catfish will do that to you. But ain't it fun ! Kirby

JTinKC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JTinKC » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:38 pm

Awesome feeling though. Better than no bites.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:27 am

Yep... cats get big enough to do make you want a "bigger boat"....