Any Reorts on Major Craft Nextino NTA-582 SUL

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
vonfilm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Any Reorts on Major Craft Nextino NTA-582 SUL

Post by vonfilm » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:39 am

I have ordered a a Major Craft Nextino NTA-582 SUL that I plan to use for extreme ultralight spinning as described in Joe Robinson's book, Piscatorial Absurdities. This rod is supposed to handle lures in the .8-3 gram range and use 1-3 pound test line. I will use a Pfluger President 6720 with Stroft 8x 2 pound test on top of Micron 12 pound backing. The action is described as regular slow.

I was wondering if any members had any experience with Major Craft Nextino rods with the SUL action. Please share your experiences.

vonfilm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Any Reorts on Major Craft Nextino NTA-582 SUL

Post by vonfilm » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:38 am

I received my Nextino ultralight rod today. It is a beautiful rod with very nice finish and workmanship. I found it to be a full flex rod. It does not seem to have quite as slow of an action as my TFO TFG FWSF 601-2. I was hoping for it to be a slower action. I will have to cast them both back to back to see how they compare.

I would still love to hear other's experiences with this rod.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:51 am

If you want the ultimate XUL rod see the Review of Daiwa Area Bum Eriabamu I posed recently... I have been fishing it some and have landed 2 16 inch smallmouth bass on 7x while trout fishing... It is VERY soft... the only rod I seen that is really capable of fishing 8x. I had a Nextino rod (the 6'2 model) and it was not capable of fishing 7x much less 8x.

Although I don't 7x too often (I mostly fish 6x .005 diameter) I do use it on occasion (I don't fish 8x), I have found it is imperative to have a rod that has enough flex to absorb the shock of a nice fish. Once I got the right rod, it made all the difference. I have a custom St. Croix 6' 2wt fly rod blank built as a spin rod and it will handle 7x but not as well the Daiwa.

hill country
Angler
Angler

Post by hill country » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:40 pm

vonfilm wrote:I have ordered a a Major Craft Nextino NTA-582 SUL that I plan to use for extreme ultralight spinning as described in Joe Robinson's book, Piscatorial Absurdities. This rod is supposed to handle lures in the .8-3 gram range and use 1-3 pound test line. I will use a Pfluger President 6720 with Stroft 8x 2 pound test on top of Micron 12 pound backing. The action is described as regular slow.

I was wondering if any members had any experience with Major Craft Nextino rods with the SUL action. Please share your experiences.
Wow, vonfilm - you have your rod setup exactly how Joe would do it. Joe would be proud! Don't forget to cut the bail off your reel, but only if it's an older, vintage model!
I built a rod for Joe utilizing the top three sections of the TFO 1# Finesse rod, and it makes a great SUL rod. He says "it's the only rod I ever use", but he might just be showering me with sunshine? 5'1", 8" Tennessee handle, < 1.5 ounces.