Need some specific advice on a ultralight baitcaster

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Need some specific advice on a ultralight baitcaster

Post by waterone » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:35 pm

Guys; I need some information/help.

I've already searched the website, and have some need of some "current" information concerning ultralight baitcasters.

I have a specific need for a light-weight (in terms of actual mass) for an ultralight baitcaster that has reasonable line capacity.
The reel needs to be able to handle braided lines.

I was thinking maybe one of the versions of the Daiwa Pixy, but am not sure which one of the many variants.

Also, is there one of the current crop of light-weight baitcasters that can be used in salt or brackish water without damage.

If I didn't need this reel to be very light in weight, I have several that would fit the bill, but my current Abu's would overwhelm the rod, and the technique I want to use.

Please don't remind me that I could/should just go ahead and use one of my spinning outfits - where's the fun in that?

BTW, the rod I have in mind is really, really good for light-weight crankbaits.

Thanks

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Need some specific advice on a ultralight baitcaster

Post by africanbass » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:51 pm

Pick up one of the original pixy reels, they shine with braid.You can still find these in good nick for not too much money.
If you are after a sw safe reel,there are a couple new Alphas variants out there to look at.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:13 am

africanbass wrote:there are a couple new Alphas variants out there to look at.
The SV105 is a remarkable little reel. I got the HS version. While I never bought it for my UL applications (it's sitting on a ML rod), it does indeed cast light baits insanely well. With the correct action UL rod and a suitable line choice, I don't see any issues for most smaller baits.

What is your definition of "reasonable line capacity" ? ... A shallow spool is almost mandatory for what you're looking for. The stock shallow SV spool will hold in excess of 100 yds. of sub 10 lb test diameter line ... at least for me, that is more than sufficient for my needs.

Another option (if you can find one, they do pop up occasionally) is a TD SOL. It's older technology, so it will lag a bit casting and braking wise, but not by much at all. The stock spools on those will have a slightly larger capacity. They were very good reels stock, easily turned into great reels with a few minor upgrades.

spiderguy4978
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spiderguy4978 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:05 am

I just picked up an Alphas Air off Japan Angler, I've only had one trip to the lake with it so far but it's an impressive little reel. Depending on the braid you plan on using it might hold enough line. I know it's rated for roughly 50 meters of 8#(not sure on diameter) line, if you went with a thin P.E. line you might be able to get a little more on there. I have it paired up with a legend inshore extra light rod and it is easily the lightest combo I own or have used.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:12 am

I went ahead and have an older model Pixy on the way to me, courtesy a friend overseas.

I really don't have problem with older proven technology, oftentimes they turn out the best. That's why their proven.

My favorite ultralight spinning reels are the Daiwa SS700, which is like a 30 years old design and the Orvis 50A which is like 50-60 years old.

As to the line, i'll probably start off with my normal braid, PowerPro 6/20 (I think, I bought a bulk spool some time ago).

I may try an updated braid, not sure what manufacturer.

The rod I have is kinda special,I'm building a rod on a blank that I have had that is real light in action, and is almost to light for mono line with the stretch in mono - with braid, it should work real well. This blank is special as it cast real light weights easily and is accurate as well.

Thanks for the input.