New micro crank on the scene

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New micro crank on the scene

Post by uljersey » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:56 am

Cabelas has just introduced the Sweet Pea. It's obviously inspired by the legendary Yo-Zuri Snap Bean, even down to the "two per pack" offering. The difference is both are the same size while the Snap Beans came in 1/16 & 1/32 oz per pack. Cabelas lists these at 1/6 oz, which is a shade under 5 g. For $6.00 I may grab a few. I hope Cabelas did their homework and designed them to run well. Some other micro cranks (Matzuo and Tsunami to name a few) have been disappointing. I've read that the smaller the crank the more difficult it is to get them to run true.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS- ... 196541.uts

hill country
Angler
Angler

Re: New micro crank on the scene

Post by hill country » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:11 am

Looks pretty cool. Just wondering, do you swap out stock hooks? Some of those trebles have huge wire sizes, making hook sets kind of difficult. I think Mustad, VMC, and a few others make open shank, double hooks with thinner wire. Thanks.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:51 am

hill country wrote:Looks pretty cool. Just wondering, do you swap out stock hooks? Some of those trebles have huge wire sizes, making hook sets kind of difficult. I think Mustad, VMC, and a few others make open shank, double hooks with thinner wire. Thanks.
I frequently swap stock hooks and split rings because the quality is poor, not so much because of wire gauge. Most of my replacement hooks are VMC, Gamakatsu and Owner.

It would be easy enough to clip a hook from a treble to make it a double as long as you clip the forward facing one (the one that would catch the weeds while the bait is being retrieved)

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:15 am

Those look great! I'll have to try a couple.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:48 am

I wonder if they are actually those Tsunami Micro Cranks??

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:04 am

Smead wrote:I wonder if they are actually those Tsunami Micro Cranks??

No, not a Tsunami. I compared one of my Tsunamis to the larger photo on the Cabelas site. However, It's just about a dead match for a Matzuo NC2 Nano Crank - down to the gill design, eye size/placement and lip. There are two models of the Nano Crank - the NC2 (which is the one we're discussing) and the slightly larger NC3, which has two trebles and a different bill altogether.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Cabelas just contracted some exclusive colors from Matzuo and had their name put on them. Happens every day in the fishing universe. Cabelas still gets the win on the $5.99 two pack, the NC2's average close to $4.00 for single packs on the usual internet sites. However, the color options elsewhere are better aside from Cabelas.

Cabelas

Matzuo

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:03 am

Seeing the gills, you are right...Tsunamis are smooth, as below:

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:48 am

I just spent an hour throwing one while bank beating a small pond. I was pleasantly surprised with it's performance - dare I say it edges ahead of the grand daddy of the micro crank - the Snap Bean. The Snap Bean always was a tad on the fussy side on the retrieve ... it often took a bit of finessing to get it going properly at the beginning of the retrieve, and any slight breeze often compounded the issue. Using a 7' USDM Presso, Daiwa SS700 spooled with Sufix 6 lb braid with a 4 lb Tectan mono leader and working with a constant breeze, the Sweet Pea casts extremely well and never once rolled or misbehaved. It has a somewhat aggressive wobble on the retrieve and it does have an internal weight which aids in casting distance and rattles subtly. This is definitely a UL only bait, and a longer (6' 6" or above) rod with a slower tip will get the best results.

I caught a nice mix of 'gills and small bass - this thing does get bit. Although it's sinker, it's so small that you can pause the retrieve and it will almost suspend for a second or two, which was what it took to get some of them to hit.

Definitely a winner, especially @ $6.00 for a pair.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:24 pm

Success is sweet...always nice when something works well!!

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:30 pm

Learned of a small semi local body of water lately, definitely going to pick up a couple packs of these to toy with the bass and gills. Now to find $88 more of stuff I need from Cabela's. Gotta get that free shipping :lol:

Thaddeus
Angler
Angler

Post by Thaddeus » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:59 am

Do these sink like the snap bean?

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:26 pm

bringing back this older thread.....

i tried the Cabela's Sweet Pea....cool little bait.

it's listed at 1/6 oz.....it's actually more like 1/16 oz. i think it's just a typo. still casts OK. i didn't get to fish mine very long before a pickerel cut me off. the other one has stayed in the box until i start fishing trout-only ponds again.