BFS Hunting

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
blkfalc4
Angler
Angler

BFS Hunting

Post by blkfalc4 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:05 am

Hi guys,
Looking for some recommendations, opinions, and/or ideas.

Setting up a rig for light baits. Rod is a DX701C, going to be sending I think mostly 1/8 oz jigs with Gitzits and 3"grubs predominately with some 1/16oz jigs thrown in.

Looking at the Shimano Aldeberan BFS XG and JDM Daiwa SS Air Ultra Finesse and can't quite decide.
I own both Shims and Daiwas and lean toward my Steezs over my Mets atm.

Any and all suggestions welcomed at this point.

TIA,
Mike

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS Hunting

Post by the hooligan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:25 am

I'd go for the bfs xg limited.

The ss air is a nice reel, very nice spool just don't care for the zaion sideplates. The bfs xg is much smaller and seems more solid in hand. Can't go wrong with either one though at the end of the day...

blkfalc4
Angler
Angler

Post by blkfalc4 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:28 am

Thanks for the feedback hooligan. Much appreciated.

Yea I'm leaning towards the BFS XG, BUT I really like my Dais.

Again Thanks,
Mike

blkfalc4
Angler
Angler

Post by blkfalc4 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:53 am

So I guess this is all the feedback I get?
Was hoping for a bit more.

Take Care,
Mike

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:29 pm

This may be a bit tangential but the reel is only 50% of the BFS story. BFS (from a Japanese perspective) is about achieving finesse presentations (skipping/pitching mostly) around cover with FC line just heavy enough to be able to consistently land fish (usually 7-9lbs BS). Therefore BFS rods (I have 2 - a Poison Glorious 6'4" Multi Role and EG Stingray) are 6'4" - 6'6" with soft tips and moderate fast tapers to deal with light rigs and skipping / pitching. You definitely need a soft tip to get the best out of a BFS reel, especially when pitching - stiff tips and light baits are troublesome.

The reels described will both be great - a super shallow spool is the main reel component required for BFS, combined with a high ratio retrieve rate which helps to get bass heading the right way out of cover since you can't drag them with light gear. The new BFS Aldebaran is seemingly the best bang for the buck but you will probably find that with a 7' rod your outfit will be tip heavy - it's a very light reel. You might also consider a slightly heavier option for the 7' like the Abu Revo AE74 - aluminum frame, 2 spools, BFS handles, BFS bearings . I use a tuned LTX which is almost identical to the AE74 (except magnesium iso aluminum frame) and it's works very well. The old BFS XG is also a great option if you can find one.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:52 am

blkfalc4 wrote:So I guess this is all the feedback I get?
Was hoping for a bit more.

Take Care,
Mike
Sorry, UL is majority spinning really. There's most likely many who haven't heard of this.

BFS: Baitcasting Finesse Setup

TT has a few good threads on the subject, member Mcyl seems to be very knowledgeable on the subject:
So what is BFS? Simply put, baitcast finesse system is the use of specialized baitcasting equipment to present light lures accurately in a subtle manner. With BFS fishing, the majority of techniques used in bass fishing could be applied, from jerkbaits and deep cranks to dropshotting and swimbaiting, techniques used in regular angling are used in BFS- only smaller and a lot lighter.

Baitcast finesse systems were first used in Japan to effectively target species that are heavily pressured by overfishing. Originally begun using trout and panfish gear, anglers were casting baits weight a maximum of 1/4 oz. (7g) however 1/8 (3.5g) or even 1/16 oz is the norm. Casting baits usually reserved for spinning or spincast gear was suddenly possible with
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 30#p396730

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=50743

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:33 am

If you can hold off there is a new Air reel coming out. It will be based on the Alpha SV but will feature a non-ported spool.

blkfalc4
Angler
Angler

Post by blkfalc4 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:40 am

Thanks all.
Saw that JW in other thread. Definitely has my interest.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:38 am

blkfalc4 wrote:Thanks all.
Saw that JW in other thread. Definitely has my interest.
Thinking this reel (hopefully SW safe due to lack of porting) would make an awesome Aijing BFS reel.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:14 am

Check out the Alpha Air threads in the Enthusiast & Import section. I see one of these in my future. Saltwater safe, too.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:59 pm

I wasn't a fan of the DX701C because it was a flimsy noodle. I think i got rid of it before i even hit the waters. I tried to like them and bought a few models, but was just disappointed in everything. I don't think i know anyone who still has any of their DX rods today.. that just says something.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:31 am

The whole BFS concept is fine, but IMO the pure physics of it favors spinning gear. My first step up from my UL rigs is an Alphas SV105 on a 7' Major Craft Volkey ML casting stick. While I could probably throw 1/16 oz stuff with it (I have done so successfully in the back yard just playing), I'll leave that to my long UL spinning rods and my long tapered spool Daiwa SS700 which do the job just fine for me.

Keep an open mind and know the limitations of each side, just don't make it a BC vs spinning thing to prove a point.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:29 pm

+1!

The Japanese developed BFS to solve a particular bass fishing problem - not because there was a market that wanted to see how light a lure a baitcaster could be made to throw.

I read a lot of discussion on forums about how light of a weight can be thrown with a BC. My response is 'so what?' In most sub-1/4 oz lure fishing situations there aren't many where a spinning rig isn't the best choice. Again BFS concept was developed by Sawamura-san to fish light jigs/soft plastics on 6-10 lb FC lines in and around cover in clear water for pressured fish. Not coincidentally 5lb FC is about the upper limit comfortably fishable on spinning gear.

On a personal note I used to be very focused on using light tackle / fly tackle per se, regardless of whether the fishing situation truly warranted it or not. These days i work backwards from the presentation required to hook and land fish and match the tackle accordingly. The result has been that my UL and fly gear is tending to gather dust. In my local saltwater fishery I spend a lot of time throwing 2.5oz lures 100 yards on 50lb braid - no finesse!

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:28 pm

uljersey wrote:The whole BFS concept is fine, but IMO the pure physics of it favors spinning gear. My first step up from my UL rigs is an Alphas SV105 on a 7' Major Craft Volkey ML casting stick. While I could probably throw 1/16 oz stuff with it (I have done so successfully in the back yard just playing), I'll leave that to my long UL spinning rods and my long tapered spool Daiwa SS700 which do the job just fine for me.

Keep an open mind and know the limitations of each side, just don't make it a BC vs spinning thing to prove a point.
BFS has its places because i would not want to load 8lb flourocarbon on any spinning reel and the typical bc gear can't toss 1/16 or 1/8 for pressured situations. I am one of those that hate using braid for anything but frog fishing.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:35 pm

-2 (to uljersey and allsorts ;) )

The OP asked about BFS BC tackle. He never made this into a spinning vs BC thing. I am sure he is knows about "the laws of physics", and that spinning gear in many fishing situations would be the rational choice.
I like reading threads about how light you can go with BFS - right until the usual input about a spinning rig being better for most sub 1/4 oz presentations.
My response is: So what. Not again. Who cares.

BFS is what the thread is about. BFS may be the better choice in some of the situations faced by the OP. Finally, and most likely, the OP may - just as I do - plainly love BFS fishing.

In many situations I can present a fly better with spinning/baitcasting tackle than with a fly rod. However, I see no reason to report that in a thread on fly fishing (with fly fishing tackle).

On topic: I would go with the shimano bfs xg or perhaps an avail honeycomb spool for one of your mets.