just getting back in to fishing

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
rabbit91476
Angler
Angler

just getting back in to fishing

Post by rabbit91476 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:43 am

So i went in to local spots chalet. Grabbed a okuma sst 8 foot ultra light. Asked them to order a 8 foort diawia presso and would return which ever one i didnt like and they said thats fine. I have a old diawia heritage travel rod so i dont need a shorter rod. For a general purpose rod. Bait,spinners and castmaster. For trout bluegill in lake and stream. Is one going to be any better than the other.

I know this probabbly a pepsi vs coke question but thought i would ask.

THANKS
Rabbit

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: just getting back in to fishing

Post by uljersey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:06 am

I wasn't aware Okuma had a UL in their lineup. I have a USDM Presso from a few years back. It's not a bad rod overall, but a bit underwhelming to me. It did get a bunch of favorable reviews here - http://www.fishusa.com/product/Daiwa-Pr ... nning-Rods

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:08 am

Hello and welcome!

One reason it may be difficult to say is the length...an 8 foot rod is going to be different from a shorter rod even within the same line.

I liked the older Daiwa Procyon UL rods which the Presso rods replaced. I haven't handled a Presso yet...I did wonder if they were using the same blanks with different hardware though. I have a 7' 6" Procyon which I like...a bit stiffer than the Daiwa Spinmatic C in the same length.

No first hand knowledge on the Okuma SST...they do have Trout and Kokanee SST lines.

Rods have a tendency to rise out of UL to Light with added length on rods...some brands more so than others...Daiwa is no exception, but they stay closer than others. You can look at that in rod spec's regarding line and lure weight ranges for each length.

I'd probably get the Daiwa, looks like you pay more, but you get more. Also easier to sell than the Okuma if you end up not liking it.

rabbit91476
Angler
Angler

Post by rabbit91476 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:38 am

8'0 SST Kokanee 1/32-3/8 fast action
8'0 Daiwa Presso 1/32-1/4 medium action.
I have no clue what would make a better general purpose rod. but to be superficial the daiwa is black lol

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:08 am

Other people know more about rod mechanics than I do...a lot more. :D

However, I do know that kokanee rods are a bit odd...soft tip with a heavier butt section...I was told that was because the fish have a delicate bite/mouth, but can be fairly large...thus you need a bit of a hybrid rod.

The Presso specs for that length are also for a line weight range of 2#-6#. I think that it has a fast action too though. This means the action as in fast, moderate or slow, rather than the power such as UL, light, medium and heavy.

The old 7' Procyon UL, the longest UL rod in that line, had a lure range of 1/32-1/8oz with a line weight range of 1#-4#.

http://www.daiwa.com/Rod/detail.aspx?id ... rentid=248

The current, but cheaper Spinmatic C line has an 8' rod; lure weight and line range the same as the current Presso.

http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id ... rentid=255

The heavier line rating and lure weights indicate that the rod is moving into light rod territory, rather than solid Ul...which many would say is 1#-4# line and lure weights no higher than 1/8oz.

BTW...all these general rod makers claiming that their rods will toss 1/32oz is to be taken with a grain of salt. Most, not very far...that's why some pay a lot for those JDM rods that will toss light baits a good distance.

So figure it will do a decent toss on a 1/16oz jig, spoon or spinner, very well on 1/8oz to 3/16oz...it will cast these further than the same Presso rod that is shorter.

How it handles a fish on the line is another issue...the Procyons seemed to have the backbone for something reasonable, I haven't handled a Presso. Some UL rods are too noodle; you get the casting benefits, but controlling any decent size fish is more difficult.

Really, the Presso might be fine for what you want to do. You might want to investigate how Kokanee rods work before committing to that one...though Okuma does have the Trout SST line too.

I have an 8' Spinmatic C UL rod for casting kicks, I'd more likely use my 7' Procyon for average UL.

Hope all this helps...rods can be somewhat complicated and people often get disappointed when they spend money and don't get the results they figured they would.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:26 pm

What are you going to do with the rod?

Why an 8ft rod?

Long UL rods sacrifice casting accuracy to some degree, although you get a bit more distance. Also longer rods usually provide more protection for light lines although that does vary. I can only think of few situations that I would want an 8ft rod for... steelhead fishing, lake fishing where distance is very important (this only really matters if you are shore fishing or float tube fishing) and if you are fishing something like a float and fly rig that requires a long rod to cast. Otherwise, I think 7ft is the max you need.

If it were me buying a new rod, I would look on ebay for a master craft or similar UL from Japan. I own 4 JDM rods now and have been very pleased with each one. I have come the conclusion that since XUL and UL tackle is so much more popular in Japan (and other Asian and eastern European countries) that tackle made outside of the US is vastly superior to what we see in the US market.

rabbit91476
Angler
Angler

Post by rabbit91476 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:52 am

Took the okuma 8 foot back. they had a 7 foot presso. grip felt better than the 7 foot okuma trout. this will be for shore lake and streams that do not have a lot of overhanging trees. IM not looking to spend to much as I only fish10-12 days a year due to small children. and that time includes catfish trout and bluegill fishing all together. Ill either but a shimano sahara or a 20 dollar diawa and buy the sahara in the spring when I by my son a rod. I figure if I can get in to ultralight for about 100-120 im happy. not high end but not junk either
Last edited by rabbit91476 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

rabbit91476
Angler
Angler

Post by rabbit91476 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:54 am

I See a Major craft rod but no master craft rod on ebay

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:58 am

Sounds like a good choice regarding the rod.

You might get a better reel for the money just because Black Friday/Cyber Monday coming up.

Also the Shimano Sahara and Sedona just went from FD to FE model's...there should be some clearance deals if you don't mind the older model.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:04 am

rabbit91476 wrote:I See a Major craft rod but no master craft rod on ebay
I don't believe "Master Craft" is a rod company ... Major Craft certainly is.

Hint - try Amazon if you're looking into getting a Major Craft. I bought one last month from Japan via Amazon for substantially less $$$ than ebay, free shipping and had it in 7 days. I'm not saying you'll find the same deal (you very well may) but it's worth a look.

rabbit91476
Angler
Angler

Post by rabbit91476 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:39 am

Which major craft rod should i be looking at. Black friday doesnt help if your planning on going fishing monday before thanks giving

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:01 am

rabbit91476 wrote:Which major craft rod should i be looking at. Black friday doesnt help if your planning on going fishing monday before thanks giving
My strategy would be to find the one you like on their site, then use the model # to initiate a search for retailers. That's how I stumbled on my deal.

http://www.majorcraft.co.jp/english/

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:06 pm

Sorry about the name mix up... my mistake...

Go to Ebay and search "Major Craft XUL" (or UL) in spinning rods...

I would not worry about 'black Friday" there are ton of deals on ebay from sellers outside of the US. The strong US dollar has created a situation where they can sell and ship tackle at crazy prices.

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:00 am

rabbit91476 wrote:they had a 7 foot presso. grip felt better than the 7 foot okuma trout.
i have a 7' 4-piece presso which I use more than any other of my UL rods. i've got a bunch of UL rods: Diawa Spinmatic, Fenwick Elite Tech, etc. The Presso is the one that I reach for the most. It's exceptionally good for a 4-piece. Only downside for me is that there is a fair amount of guide noise from the minima guides which is mildly annoying. (I'm using 4 lb nanofil). Will try 8 lb Gliss which should cut down on guide noise. Still, it casts farther than any of my other UL rods. Next step is to start wrapping my own rods.

rabbit91476 wrote: Ill either but a shimano sahara or a 20 dollar diawa and buy the sahara in the spring when I by my son a rod. I figure if I can get in to ultralight for about 100-120 im happy. not high end but not junk either
i've been very pleased with a 25 size Pflueger Supreme. very light for it's size, good drag. they have a new model out which is supposed to be even better, but I haven't tried it yet myself. the line lay on the old model wasn't the best (not as good as Daiwa or Shimano). new slow oscillation should be better.

Good luck! :D

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:53 am

[quote="rabbit91476" Ill either but a shimano sahara or a 20 dollar diawa and buy the sahara in the spring when I by my son a rod. I figure if I can get in to ultralight for about 100-120 im happy. not high end but not junk either[/quote]

You can get a factory reconditioned Pflueger President in the 25 size here for $35.88 (new price $59.95) with a 90 day warranty. This is Pure Fishing's outlet site, it's not some fly by night deal. Smead has bought a reconditioned reel or two from them and has said they're as close to new as you can get. As of this posting they have 5 available.

http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=6770