Travel/pack rod options?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
spiderguy4978
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Travel/pack rod options?

Post by spiderguy4978 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:57 am

I am looking to pick up a good quality travel ultralight sometime before next summer. I am taking a trip to Colorado and want something to keep on me at all times in case I happen upon an area I can fish. So far I have only found the G. Loomis Escape model ETR 75-3 ULS-4 and the Phenix Redeye Trout series. What other options are there that are actually good quality rods? I am okay with buying something over seas if the rod is known to be good. I am also unsure of what length I'd like, while in Colorado this fall most areas a 7'+ rod would have had zero issues and then while hiking there where places that a 5' or smaller rod would have been the only option. Ultimately I like longer rods for all fishing, my shortest current rod is 7'1" while my longest is 8'6". I tried looking at the normal Bass JDM tackle websites I know of and the rods I was able to find on them were either 1 or 2 piece.

Thanks for any help.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Travel/pack rod options?

Post by Smead » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:18 am

See this thread, member dorset darren is an expert on travel rods:

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=66338

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:34 am

dorset darren wrote:
Smead wrote:See this thread, member dorset darren is an expert on travel rods:

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=66338

Lol,

I have had the loomis escape ul rod, it was a nice rod but the cork on mine was not the best quality, but the main issue I had was the fact it was 3 sections, so if you want to pre rig the rod and put in a vehicle it does not fold in half like a 4 section rod does and you have a single section flapping around un secured in the car . It was also just a tad too stiff so when playing smaller fish it was not much fun, which is the whole point of ul rods! But if you are fishing for larger fish this should not be too much of an issue.also I had to remove the end cap and cut off 4 / 6" of tube as they use a standard length tube to fit more than one escape length rod ,not an easy task but it irritated me none the less.
I've owned a ML Escape rod and it was "ok". They are not $300-$350 rods. At $200 they're pretty decent but I would not pay more for another. They use alconite guides and the cork is average. I got lucky my model fit the tube perfectly lol. It does look like they've refreshed the lineup since I've owned one but any more I just pack around my Tenkara tube and or a TSR 2 piece in a St Croix travel tube. If you're hitting up small lakes, streams, and rivers and enjoy fly fishing Tenkara is the way to go. Out of the tube and usable in less than a minute and can be stowed just as fast if you use the fuji hook keeper trick.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:38 am

Entering "Major Craft 4 piece rod" in Amazon's search engine turned up a few options, this being one of them - http://www.amazon.com/Major-Craft-Go-Em ... ishing+rod

Not a bad price shipped from Japan. I just purchased a Major Craft rod from Japan via Amazon and had no issues whatsoever. While researching Major Craft rods (I bought a Volkey) the Go Emotion came up several times and had generally positive feedback.

spiderguy4978
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spiderguy4978 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:17 am

The ivyline zeath spyd looks and sounds nice, I'm just hesitant on buying a rod that short. Looking around Major Craft has at least two travel rod series. I found the Megabass OROCHI X4 SECRET SERVICE F1-66X4S-SS and that looks promising. I'm still trying to find info on the Phoenix Redeye Trout rods, I haven't even found a place to buy them. I have probably 8-9 months before my trip I've thought about getting a 2 or 3 weight flyrod blank made into a spinning rod. I'm not sure there's enough time for that though.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:12 pm

I have several fly rods built as XUL spinning rods... and you make the same compromises with them as you do with any XUL vs. UL vs. Light rod. If you build a 2 weight blank into a rod you are not going to cast a 1/8th oz lure as well as you do with a standard UL spin rod... BUT it will protect very light better. I use my St. Croix 6' 2wt to fish 7x and 8x tippet and it does a fantastic job but it requires a slower casting stroke and has limitations on what it will throw and how far it will throw. If you fish small creeks and streams and want to use very light line then a fly rod blank could work well.

I don't have experience with heavier fly blanks built into spinning rods... but I know my rod builder does many 9ft 5wt, 6wt, 7wt and 8wt blanks as spinners for salmon and steelhead guys. I have even seen a guy that surf fishes with a 9ft 7wt blank! I would not hesitate to go for a fly blank.

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:45 am

i like my 4-piece 7' Daiwa Presso very much. you will need a rod case for it as Daiwa does not include a case. the minima guides aren't the best, but they do the job. casts very well. not a true UL, but can handle larger fish. my best this month on it is a 3 lb 5 oz smallmouth.

there are pros + cons to bringing a luxury rod with you when you travel. i'm always afraid that it could be lost or stolen in transit. the Daiwa Presso is more of a mid-line option to consider.

spiderguy4978
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spiderguy4978 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:52 am

dorset darren wrote:
If you go down the fly rod blank route try to find a fast action blank. I would however not recommend it as an option as it is designed very differently to a spin blank,I found my one far to whippy and useless when into a bigger fish.it did not cast well and felt wrong doing it with far for much flex.needless to say that got sold pretty sharpish.
How do you feel about your Megabass rod? I've found a couple on eBay, and they are tempting.

Currently due to availability I'm looking at the Major Crafts, they also are lower on the price spectrum which would be nice if I tumble down a mountain.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:25 am

On the cost side, the Daiwa Spin C is cheaper than the Presso...and the longer ones are still UL.

Though if I did fall off a trail, I'd want my companions to know that I had a super expensive rod/reel combo strapped to my person...You could count on them to at least recover the body. :D

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:32 am

that's funny, Smead!

the Spinmatic is a great rod, too - but the action is much more moderate even though both are listed as "fast" (just a heads up for the original poster). i like both, but i fish with the Presso more. either way, great choices that won't bust the bank account. :D

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:30 am

I can't recall the name of the maker, but St Croix used their cases for their Premier travel rods...in the past, you could buy them here and there...maybe Troutlet. I'll have to check my files, they were made in the USA and had a separate pouch for each section.

spiderguy4978
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spiderguy4978 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:06 am

I've found a few ultralight and super ultralight baitcasting rods. I know a quality BFS reel can cast light lures well, but can they seriously cast something like 1/32oz that some of the rods have been rated?

Also doing an eBay search for 4 piece roof brought up this. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 51&alt=web
Looks interesting but I can't find any info on this model specifically. The info I have found for other salty stage models have been for bay jigging. I'm aiming a roof designed for jigging probably won't cast or work hardbaits very well.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:42 pm

Well, looks like FishUSA is carrying a wide selection of the St Croix cases.

If you spend $20 more on some other stuff shipping is free.

http://www.fishusa.com/product/St-Croix ... -Rod-Cases

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:24 am

darren - is that braid with a leader that you have spooled ?
and that reel foot protector - is that home made or supplied with the reel ?

spiderguy4978
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spiderguy4978 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:13 am

dorset darren, that's what I was afraid of.

I honestly didn't think finding an ultralight travel rod would be this difficult. I mean there's a bunch of options, it's just finding info on them and a place that has them in stock. I guess it's a good thing I have 7-8 months before my trip.

Smead wrote:Well, looks like FishUSA is carrying a wide selection of the St Croix cases.

If you spend $20 more on some other stuff shipping is free.

http://www.fishusa.com/product/St-Croix ... -Rod-Cases
Thank you, that'll be what I end up getting if the rod doesn't come with a case.