Pflueger President Limited Edition

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Pflueger President Limited Edition

Post by uljersey » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:59 am

Sharp little reel. I was a diehard Pflueger fan for years before I went over to Daiwa. I still think they're outstanding reels, and I may just end up with one of these. The 20 size is pretty small, a true UL sized reel. Here's the spec page - http://www.fishusa.com/product/Pflueger ... Aphr8P8HAQ

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Pflueger President Limited Edition

Post by Smead » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:39 pm

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflueger ... 71884.html

Aluminum axle and pinion gear though. :-k

Axle shafts depend on the alloy...I've bent some by hand, others are surprisingly strong. An aluminum pinion is an unknown.

Eventually they might be trying to make main gears and pinions out of composites. :o

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:21 pm

Already done. Shakespeare has them gear in aluminum die cast already. Can't remember if the pinion was aluminum alloy or not.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:39 pm

I haven't handled any Shakespeare reels in awhile.

But I get flash backs to the terrible gearing of the 1980's when most reel manufacturing went to Asia and they were even trying to use zinc...pot metal.

Obviously aluminum alloys can be cold forged...but that increases costs.

Probably the best combination, IMO, is bronze and stainless steel, regarding a main gear and pinion.

Shimano and Daiwa have sunk a lot of effort and money into getting quality components out of aluminum alloys. Not so sure about anything under Pure Fishing...outside of Penn. Other makers like Quantum and Okuma make promises, but I'm not sure of what they are doing regarding materials and processes really.

Then there is what the end user expects from the reel...if it works for the most part for a few years of general use, that may be acceptable to most people.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:23 am

Just a heads up on this, the smallest size has a few less bearings than the larger sizes. I handled 20, 25, and 30 sizes, and I could feel the 3 bearing difference between them. The 25 and 30 felt excellent, but the 20 was only ok. It wasn't horrendous, but didn't feel like an $80 reel. Just my 2 cents, tho.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:35 pm

No surprise...one reason I like to look at schematics first if possible, with new reels, they may be hard to find online though.

You often come across this with the smallest reels in a line...shorting of some of the features found on the larger reels.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:47 am

Smead wrote:No surprise...one reason I like to look at schematics first if possible, with new reels, they may be hard to find online though.

You often come across this with the smallest reels in a line...shorting of some of the features found on the larger reels.
It's a shame too... The aesthetics are so nice on it for a reel of that price point. I wouldn't hesitate to get a 25 size at all, though. The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was how far the handle stem is. It feels like the handle knob is very far from the reel for a reel that size, but this is purely personal preference.

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:09 am

cool looking reel, but for $20 more I'd rather have a new Supreme. :D

i have last year's 25 size Supreme....very nice light reel. line lay could be better, but still casts well. good drag. supposedly, they have a new slow oscillation line lay system for this year which would make it very hard to beat for $100.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:50 am

I did feel the same regarding the President line versus the Supreme reels if you were thinking about a Pflueger.

I did have an older 8025 Supreme...seemed nice, but I did not have an opportunity to give it a serious workout. All magnesium, given that Pflueger 20 size reels are really tiny, the 25 size was noticeably larger then the 20's.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:16 am

I bought the 20 and at first wasn't impressed with it out of the box . I'm usually a Shimano only person . But have been trying others since I bought a Daiwa Fuego a couple years ago and was very impressed it right off.
I usually limit myself to around $100 . I feel I should be able to buy a pretty decent reel for that price .

First, I like small light ultralight reels . I oiled the Pflueger Limited Edition and have used it for a few outings . It's growing on me . It's getting smoother with every trip .
I thought I'd try another Pflueger. I found a good price on a Supreme XT in the 25 size . I hope it's not a lot bigger than the 20 , although a little bigger spool would be ok .
The light weight listed and good reviews is heat drew me to it .
I read where Pfluegers have a following . Thought I'd give another a try . Cabelas has the Patriach for around $30 more with free shipping . I almost went with that one . Gillchaser

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:46 am

The reel's on sale at Cabela's for $56.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/PFLUGER- ... 6CQ_st%3Db

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:50 am

I got my new reel today , the Pflueger Supreme XT 25 . It's about the size of a 750 Shimano . Just a little bigger than a 500 But smaller than the 1000's .
After unboxing , I added a little oil to the main shaft anf both side bearings. Loaded it with 4# Silver Thread An40 . Very smooth little reel . Almost as smooth , out of the box , as the Diawa Fuego 1000 , which is what I judge all reels when new .
I put it on a 6' ST. Croix Panfish Rod for now .
I'm going to try to get it slimmed tomorrow morning before college football starts up and before the crowd hits the town park . Gillchaser

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:46 am

I like the reel a lot . It performed well this morning . Only fished for just over an hour . Hooked eight , three threw the hook on a jump , one threw it as I was attempting to slide it up the overgrown grass bank . This was the verifiable largest , maybe two pounds . I released three , and had one take my bait . I'm thinking it was a decent fish and the four pound line found a sharp tooth . It had just started pulling drag and went limp . Wound in an empty line . Jig and worm both gone . I couldn't see any evidence of a knot pulling out , the drag and Rod were working , it had to be cut on something .
Kinda like to know what the Patriach would be like . If it's still on sale on the 15th I'll pick one up . Gillchaser
Last edited by gillchaser on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:56 am

I ordered up a patriarch from Cabelas to check out. Bargain cave price is pretty good.