Daiwa Tournament SS Reel

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Tournament SS Reel

Post by Smead » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Misc Service Update

Nice bearing for the worm shaft:

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inv ... -5-MR632GS

Shim set for the worm shaft...often lost on a used reel that has been taken apart. Size of the shim is 3x5x0.4...set includes (10) of that size, then (10) each of 0.2mm and 0.3mm thick. RC cars seem to use them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331403246348?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Had one loose spool, despite being tightened all the way...a set of Carbontex, 3 drag washers .020" thick each fixed that. The felt washers had been crushed down to .013" thick each.

The other part easily lost is the brass washer over the worm pawl...it can be made from sheet brass with a punch.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:35 pm

Smead wrote:Misc Service Update

Had one loose spool, despite being tightened all the way...a set of Carbontex, 3 drag washers .020" thick each fixed that. The felt washers had been crushed down to .013" thick each.
That's a good reason to back the drag off after every trip.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:36 pm

Indeed...even more noticeable given that there is a drag stack, not just one washer as is usual on UL reels.

But since the other SS 700's I have serviceable drags, I did have the opportunity to try Carbontex...very nice.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:25 am

Did you guys feel that the worm gear bushing replacement with a bearing increased performance much in this reel?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:47 pm

zodiak311 wrote:Did you guys feel that the worm gear bushing replacement with a bearing increased performance much in this reel?
Not at all ... it's there to keep the back end of the worm shaft supported and aligned. The only improvement the bearing provides is a more sturdy platform in which to do this vs the factory nylon bushing. I've done it to mine but I'm pretty confident it was unnecessary in the long run, but then again it's only a couple of dollars so why not ? The nylon bushing in the line roller on the bail gets just as much of a workout and with proper lubrication it will last a very long time.

The biggest performance benefit for these reels is a thorough cleaning, proper lube (not a ton of grease, it's not a trailer wheel bearing) and perhaps some judicious polishing of some of the internal metal contact points, a "super tune" of sorts. I did it to mine, it's ultra smooth and just gets better with use 8-)

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:33 am

uljersey wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:Did you guys feel that the worm gear bushing replacement with a bearing increased performance much in this reel?
Not at all ... it's there to keep the back end of the worm shaft supported and aligned. The only improvement the bearing provides is a more sturdy platform in which to do this vs the factory nylon bushing. I've done it to mine but I'm pretty confident it was unnecessary in the long run, but then again it's only a couple of dollars so why not ? The nylon bushing in the line roller on the bail gets just as much of a workout and with proper lubrication it will last a very long time.

The biggest performance benefit for these reels is a thorough cleaning, proper lube (not a ton of grease, it's not a trailer wheel bearing) and perhaps some judicious polishing of some of the internal metal contact points, a "super tune" of sorts. I did it to mine, it's ultra smooth and just gets better with use 8-)
Thanks for the info. I am about to sit down and tune a few of mine this upcoming week. Just ordered some worm gear bearings, and a few carbontex sets. 8-)
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

oldromantic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by oldromantic » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:38 pm

Hello. I'm from Russia. I bought a new SS700 in America this year. I was surprised by the rather strong beating of the rotor. It is completely out of balance. Is this normal? This spinning reel has no balancing weight.

Paul Shibata
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul Shibata » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:06 am

oldromantic wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:38 pm
Hello. I'm from Russia. I bought a new SS700 in America this year. I was surprised by the rather strong beating of the rotor. It is completely out of balance. Is this normal? This spinning reel has no balancing weight.
The Whisker SS Tournament is a very old yet incredibly well built reel with exceptional performance. Unfortunately the design pre-dates balanced rotors and even infinite anti-reverse unless you had one of the SSi versions which came out in the late '80s. Enjoy the reel, it will provide years of trouble free use. You'll love the SS 700, as an ultralight you will learn to appreciate the silky smooth drag.

oldromantic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by oldromantic » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:27 am

Unfortunately, so far, except for the excellent appearance, nothing good :(. The beating of the rotor spoils everything. I took it as a pair to the Fenwick Iron Hawk - they complement each other perfectly.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:56 am

If it's any consolation, the thump of an off-balance rotor does have one virtue: it can make it easier to remember the speed at which you were retrieving a lure (e.g., an inline spinner) when a fish hit, so you can replicate that speed on your next cast. Sometimes speed is a critical factor in presentation.