Favorite Topwater Bait

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Favorite Topwater Bait

Post by gillchaser » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:35 pm

My #1 has to be the Rapala F3 , but the Teeny Torpedo was fun this morning . What's your favorite ?
This morning , after catch a couple small LM on a shorten weightless Zoom worm , the bites were slow . So I figured if I'm going to have to wait that long for a bite , I may as well fish topwater . I first tried a small PopR , but no takers . I switch over to a Teeny Torpedo and on my second cast I had a small LM blow up and snatch my TT . :) wished I'd fished it earlier , it was getting toward the end of my planned fishing time this morning and the temps were starting to climb fast . I did stick it out for another 15 minutes and was rewarded with three strikes total with two brought to hand for release . Saved the morning for me .
I was tossing lures with my St Croix 6'4" Trout Series and my Shimano Stradic 1000 . Gillchaser

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Favorite Topwater Bait

Post by JerryC » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:37 pm

LC Sammy, MB Pop-x, Jackall SK Pop

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:57 am

Baby Pop-X all the way I've caught so many fish on them.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:03 am

MondayMonkey wrote:Baby Pop-X all the way I've caught so many fish on them.
Ouch ! You guys play with some high dollar stuff !
OK, if I did spring for a couple MB Babies , what colors should I start with ? Gillchaser

Jaw1
Angler
Angler

Post by Jaw1 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:36 pm

small zara spooks (puppy) and small buzzbaits in ponds for me. paycheck baits (the one) and repo man on the lakes (I know its not untralight but they work great) ive got a few mb poppers but really don't have as much luck with them as walking baits im trying out the jackal binsky now

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:12 pm

OSP BentMinnow 76F

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Jaw1 wrote:small zara spooks (puppy) and small buzzbaits in ponds for me. paycheck baits (the one) and repo man on the lakes (I know its not untralight but they work great) ive got a few mb poppers but really don't have as much luck with them as walking baits im trying out the jackal binsky now
I've caught LM up to 6 1/2# on the Zara Puppy , and caught a five+pounder on a Zara Pooch . My Pooches have gained collector status since they've been discontinued and I don't fish them much . Wish they'd bring them back . There needs to be a size between the Puppy and the Pooch . Gillchaser

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:36 pm

Pop-x is my favorite popper, Balsa pro, zip fakie dog, and the specialty tackle carol would be my favorite walkers. Cavitron for buzzbaits, live target for frogs.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:56 am

gillchaser wrote:
OK, if I did spring for a couple MB Babies , what colors should I start with ? Gillchaser
I have a sickness when it comes to MB lures. I'm up to over 140 MB hardbaits at this point.

I like the GG Bass, Galaxy Smoke, Pro Blue, Elegy Bone, tonosama frog, and Modena Bone personally.
Last edited by MondayMonkey on Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:14 am

MondayMonkey wrote:
gillchaser wrote:
I have a sickness when it comes to MB lures. I'm up over 140 MB hardbaits at this point.

I like the GG Bass, Galaxy Smoke, Pro Blue, Elegy Bone, tonosama frog, and Modena Bone personally.
Yup, i'm around 150 myself just in pop-x's... they sure catch fisherman well!

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:34 am

MB Rat-x =P~

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:20 am

I picked up three Gary Yamamoto topwater baits to try . Two of the smaller size poppers ,1/4oz , one frog, one baby bass , and one of the smaller walking baits in frog . Good looking baits . A little big for what I call UL .
Guess for what I paid for the three , I could have bought one MB PopX , just couldn't do it , not yet . One of the Dicks Sporting Goods did have one ( just one @ $17.99) of the MB PopX babies , it was as big as the GY smaller baits .
Picked up some Power Pro in 15# , supposed to be diameter of 4# , but I can only get about 55-60 yards on a Shimano 1000 . Filled three reels and have line left over out of a 300 yard spool . I went with the 15# as I've read folks have had problems with the 10# getting under spools . Gillchaser

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:03 am

gillchaser wrote:I picked up three Gary Yamamoto topwater baits to try . Two of the smaller size poppers ,1/4oz , one frog, one baby bass , and one of the smaller walking baits in frog . Good looking baits . A little big for what I call UL .
Guess for what I paid for the three , I could have bought one MB PopX , just couldn't do it , not yet . One of the Dicks Sporting Goods did have one ( just one @ $17.99) of the MB PopX babies , it was as big as the GY smaller baits .
Picked up some Power Pro in 15# , supposed to be diameter of 4# , but I can only get about 55-60 yards on a Shimano 1000 . Filled three reels and have line left over out of a 300 yard spool . I went with the 15# as I've read folks have had problems with the 10# getting under spools . Gillchaser
Your on the right bath dude... you dont need a pop-x to catch bass.. ive caught my biggest topwater bass on a rapala skitterpop frog color..

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:01 am

Love Zell Pop R, inexpensive and good hooks.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:46 am

A discontinued Gary Yamamoto sugio poppers about 2" long, 3/16th oz.
Discontinued rebel hopper popper.
Smallest Hula Poppers minus the skirt. This year I've cut off the tail peg for the skirt. I'm thinking this will help with the trout and panfish hookup ratio.
Smallest rebel popper
Smallest discontinued spook pooch
Smallest teeny torpedo