SPIING GEAR

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
mickeyfin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

SPIING GEAR

Post by mickeyfin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:04 am

ULTRA LITES
I am interested in a new saltwater spinning rod/reel for casting 1/8-1/4 oz. plastics and anchovies. I’ve been using an 13 Omen 7’11” and Shimano exsence for 1/4oz. The rod should be 7 ½ to 8’ and cast far. The reel will be filled with 30# spectra and 15-25# flouro. topshots. Looking to keep the cost under $400. Any suggestions

Thanks, Mick
PS:I'd be interested in a comparable baitcaster rig as well. Just figure the spinning rig is a sure thing

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: SPIING GEAR

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:20 am

I'd suggest a 2014 Daiwa X-Fire 3012H. I purchased this reel as soon as it was available. First time out I went to show it off to a buddy who commandeered it and wouldn't give it back. So now I DON'T have this reel, since I sold it to him, but it would be perfect for your application. He chucks 30lb Power Pro Super Slick Blue on his and it works wonderfully. Plenty of capacity for super long casts, Mag Seal CRBB, 37 inch retrieve per handle rotation, 15.4 pound drag. It was purpose built as a salt water reel and has that trick Daiwa Blue anodizing. It's a workhorse type reel. Good stuff.

EBAY is your best bet at this point. I easily found several listings for sale (two below). I paid more for mine than this, even with the pre order discount, but the reel is worth the asking price. You cannot go wrong here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAIWA-X-FIRE-30 ... 7646&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAIWA-X-Fire-30 ... 4897.l4275

In my opinion, it is best to purchase the finest reel you can afford because it will likely outlive several rods. I'd suggest buying your reel, then take it to stores and mount it on several rods until you find the perfect compliment.

mickeyfin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: SPIING GEAR

Post by mickeyfin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:21 am

thank you!
Anyone else with suggestions please
Mick