Cabelas New Pro Guide Spinning Reel

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Cabelas New Pro Guide Spinning Reel

Post by gillchaser » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Cabelas has a new Pro Guide spinning reel coming out , for $50 . The 1000 model holds 120 yards of 4# line , and weighs 5.3oz . 7+1 bearings . Looks like a Daiwa . I've preordered one to try out . Should be in stock by the end of the month . I'll let you know what I think of it when it come in . Gillchaser
Here's the specs
Cabela's Pro Guide® Spinning Reel
Reel Model Line Capacity (yds./ lb. test) Gear Ratio Bearings Weight (oz.) Max. Drag (lbs.) Line Recovery Inches/ Turn
PG1000-------------- 120/4 ------------------------------4.9:1 --------7+1---------------5.3 ---------4.4 ----------------------------------- 21.4
Regular Price: $49.99

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Cabelas New Pro Guide Spinning Reel

Post by hawkoath » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:31 am

Let us know what you think of it once you get it and have tried it out.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:52 am

hawkoath wrote:Let us know what you think of it once you get it and have tried it out.
Will do . It looks almost too good to be true for $50 . Hopefully it'll turn out to be a great deal on a small lightweight . Gillchaser
Last edited by gillchaser on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:54 am

That would be an amazing value for a 5.3 oz size 1000 reel. I'm almost sure that the specification on weight is erroneous but we'll see. Great value if it is accurate - lighter than any other Daiwa 1000 reels regardless of cost. Not sure if that is possible as the spool alone has to be expensive to manufacture to get to that weight - unless it is plastic spool which is unlikely.

UL

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:55 am

I have a Daiwa Laguna 1000 5Bi , that's about that same weight. Factory specs lists it at 6oz , but it weighs less ( 5.36oz. ) , so it's possible .
This one may be built on the same frame as the Laguna 1000 , but with more bearings .
I like the Laguna , nice little reel for what I paid for it . Gillchaser

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:19 am

Gillchaser,

Amazing. 5.36 for size 1000. I'll have to find one to play with and recommend to friends who want budget lightweight rigs. (I'm a big believer in light weight - the lighter the more pleasant to fish with all day and also the more sensitive though it matter more for rods than reels. )

Thanks for posting the weight you measured. Again Amazing.

UL

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:52 am

ultralight wrote:Gillchaser,

Amazing. 5.36 for size 1000. I'll have to find one to play with and recommend to friends who want budget lightweight rigs. (I'm a big believer in light weight - the lighter the more pleasant to fish with all day and also the more sensitive though it matter more for rods than reels. )

Thanks for posting the weight you measured. Again Amazing.

UL
That weight is with line . The reel is small , about the size of my Shimano Symetre 500 But has the line capacity of a 1000. I think Daiwa is using the same frame for some of their models for both 500 and 1000 reels , just changing the spools . Gillchaser

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:15 am

Ah....now it makes sense. I have a number of reels lke that. I thought it was equal in spool diameter as a Japanese 1000 or the Daiwa TE Fuego 1000a. So apprently this is a smaller reel? I don't really mind the body smaller but the spool, I like a larger diameter for casting distance and less line memory.

Thanks!
UL

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:29 pm

Just out of curiosity when people mention that this Cabelas reel might be built on the same frame as the Daiwa does it mean that they are both sourcing it from the same OEM or that Cabelas is sourcing a modified version made by Daiwa and just branded Cabelas?

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:57 pm

hawkoath wrote:Just out of curiosity when people mention that this Cabelas reel might be built on the same frame as the Daiwa does it mean that they are both sourcing it from the same OEM or that Cabelas is sourcing a modified version made by Daiwa and just branded Cabelas?
I mentioned the reel maybe made by Daiwa for Cabelas because of the features listed for the Cabelas reel are the same as listed for Daiwa reels including some that are Daiwa trademarks , such as Digigear and locomotive wind . And the shape and design of the Cabelas reel look a lot like a Daiwa .
The new Cabelas Pro Guide looks like the Laguna , except for the color . I'd be alright with it if it is an upgraded Laguna for $10 more . Gillchaser

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:07 pm

It's made by Daiwa. Brian.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:04 am

You learn something new everyday. Nice to know!

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:35 am

I got tired of waiting on the Cabelas new Pro guide , and ordered a Quantum Fire size 10 . 6.8ozs 10 bearings - 135 yards - 4# line .
Ounce and half heavier than the Pro Guide , but I'm pretty sure it'll be a wider spool . Anyways it was it stock and on its way , should have it first of next week . Gillchaser

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:42 am

gillchaser wrote:I got tired of waiting on the Cabelas new Pro guide , and ordered a Quantum Fire size 10 . 6.8ozs 10 bearings - 135 yards - 4# line .
Ounce and half heavier than the Pro Guide , but I'm pretty sure it'll be a wider spool . Anyways it was it stock and on its way , should have it first of next week . Gillchaser
I just received a sales flyer today from Cabela's and they have them advertised for $39.99. Wonder why they'd reduce them when they can't supply them? Brian.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:51 am

a1712 wrote:
gillchaser wrote:I got tired of waiting on the Cabelas new Pro guide , and ordered a Quantum Fire size 10 . 6.8ozs 10 bearings - 135 yards - 4# line .
I just received a sales flyer today from Cabela's and they have them advertised for $39.99. Wonder why they'd reduce them when they can't supply them? Brian.
That's the old model Pro Guide . The new ones are still in a container on a ship waiting to be unloaded off the California coast . Although I read the dock workers strike was over , I read it'll take months to catch up .
I went to a local Cabelas two days ago , it's over an hour away , so I only visit when I have some other reason to drive up that way . Thry were out of all of them . The old ones and the new ones . Gillchaser