best dock shooting rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultraslab
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

best dock shooting rod

Post by ultraslab » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:38 am

I am an enthusiast who loves shooting docks. What rod do you guys think works best if money is no object. I have tried 20+ rods and am still looking for the one. Anyone have any expierance with phenix elixr as am considering ordering one of those. I just hate ordering high end rods without being able to put my hands on it first. Thanks for the help. Scott

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: best dock shooting rod

Post by Smead » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:53 am

Might be helpful for you to say what qualities the rods you tried lacked; then maybe someone can suggest something that would do the job.

I have to admit to not being very technique specific as far as rods and ultralight go at this point. I have had a recent informative discussion with a member regarding finding a good rod for the jigging he wanted to do; that's about it. He brought up valid needs that had to be met, and some rods he tried didn't meet them.

My larger concern is rods that can cast tiny things a decent distance and protect light mono line...in other areas I'll take what I can get. :D

ultraslab
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ultraslab » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:12 am

Guess the perfect rod has enough backbone towards the tip to shoot the jig when slingshotting , extremly sensitive to detect light bites but yet still enough flexibilty to make it fun to fight crappie. If this makes sense. A pretty decent one is St. Croix trout or panfish series in a 5'6" or 6' . One of the better action ones as far as shooting jig I've run across lately was a field and stream tec-light 6' I found at dick sporting goods. It just lacks the high end graphite sensitivity I'm looking for. Hopes this makes sense. Scott

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:28 am

A G Loomis SJR6400 IMX would probably fit the bill.

For something more exotic, a shorter solid-tipped UL rod like a Megabass Kirisame in an F0 or F1 or Evergreen Kaleido Designo Mach L-1 would be worth considering as well.

FatsmontgomeryIII
Angler
Angler

Post by FatsmontgomeryIII » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:41 am

The Elixir will fit the bill very nicely. Got a 7' myself and love it. Have been able to horse a 2lb largemouth out from under some pads with one cast and hook into a tiny bluegill on the next. Both fun.

It's a true fast action rod, with a very quick tip. I keep it spooled with suffix 832 and have very nice sensitivity.