Favorite UL line

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Favorite UL line

Post by JWR075 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:44 am

Getting to re-spool my reel (Daiwa Certate 1500) and thinking of trying a new line. Would like to see what you all are using.

Shru
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Favorite UL line

Post by Shru » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:53 pm

I only use 1000 size reels but these are my favorite lines and only ones i use as of now..
Dam Tectan 2 lb mono as well as Dam Tectan 3 lb mono, and lately i have been trying out Seaguar Tatsu Florocarbon line...
these are my 3 favorite lines to use and probably will only use for UL fishing.

T-Grub
Angler
Angler

Post by T-Grub » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:22 am

I know some have complained about Nanofil, but I have enjoyed using Nanofil in both 4 and 6 lb. test. It casts great is very sensitive and has performed well on the rivers I fish most often. If you want to try Nanofil, be aware that it is not cheap and tht you need to be vigilent about check for frays. Also, I use the fishing fool knot and have not had a problem with knot slippage.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:54 am

Sunline Sniper, Toray Super Finesse, Toray Super Hard and Seaguar Tatsu (if you consider 4lb UL) are all great.

Maxima and Seaguar InvisX are okay too.

I have a spool of Varivas Super Trout Advanced Twitch Master I'm going to try soon.

The Sniper is my favorite fluorocarbon right now.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:09 am

T-Grub wrote:I know some have complained about Nanofil, but I have enjoyed using Nanofil in both 4 and 6 lb. test. It casts great is very sensitive and has performed well on the rivers I fish most often. If you want to try Nanofil, be aware that it is not cheap and tht you need to be vigilent about check for frays. Also, I use the fishing fool knot and have not had a problem with knot slippage.
Great feedback! Do you use any backing with this line (do you need backing?)? I've wanted to try it but have been wary of the reports of breakage due to abrasion (rumors, you know how they are, garbage in garbage out). Would you suggest not to use this line with smallies considering the typically rocky terrain they sometimes inhabit? PM your response if prefered.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:18 pm

I like the classic Berkeley Trilene XL 4 pound test in the green colour.

DragonEEL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DragonEEL » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm a trout fisherman and love nanofil in 3lbs test on all my 1000 size reels. I do use a little bit of backing to prevent slippage. I'll tie a 12" leader 4lb-6lb flouro with an alberto knot.

T-Grub
Angler
Angler

Post by T-Grub » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:55 pm

I fish for smallmouth bass in our Virginia rivers and have used Nanofill this entire season. I have not had any abnormal problems with rocks, but as I previously stated you need to keep a look out on fraying. I do not backfill the reel since I am using a 1000 size shimano reel. Basically a 150 yard spool of 4 or 6 Nanofil fills the reel. I have noticed that the line will become more frayed in weeds that mono. Remember that no line is perfect. However, when all of the pluses and minuses are considered, I have been very pleased with Nanofil.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:02 am

I use Tasline All-White 12lb pe0.4 6 strand braid on all my shallow spool UL spinning reels and then a 2-4 Fluro leader (sniper). I love the braid because it's insanely thin and supple. The diameter of the braid is smaller than 4lb nanofil and the 6 strand weave keeps it from being rough and noisy like other braids. I can spool 100m on a JDM 1000 shallow spool reel which comforts me when camping or backpacking etc. Some of the lakes I fish have 5-10lb rainbow trout so it's nice to have the line strength and versatility of the fluro leaders when needed.

My reels include a Cardiff Ci-4+ C2000SS, Stella 1000FE, Certate Vintage Custom 1500, and 09 Certate 1500

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:21 am

MondayMonkey wrote:I use Tasline All-White 12lb pe0.4 6 strand braid on all my shallow spool UL spinning reels and then a 2-4 Fluro leader (sniper). I love the braid because it's insanely thin and supple. The diameter of the braid is smaller than 4lb nanofil and the 6 strand weave keeps it from being rough and noisy like other braids. I can spool 100m on a JDM 1000 shallow spool reel which comforts me when camping or backpacking etc. Some of the lakes I fish have 5-10lb rainbow trout so it's nice to have the line strength and versatility of the fluro leaders when needed.

My reels include a Cardiff Ci-4+ C2000SS, Stella 1000FE, Certate Vintage Custom 1500, and 09 Certate 1500
Count me in for braid mainline also. I like the Sufix Performance 10/4, but I opt for a mono leader (Sufix Elite 4 lb)

I like the stretch factor mono allows for the occasional largemouth or aggressive large perch or bluegill who strike sudden and hard. Can't beat braid for it's handling characteristics, especially once it's broken in.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:36 am

Stretchy mono is probably a good idea i should try that. I highly recommend the Tasline braids they require no break in time expensive as hell but well worth it imo.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:22 am

Where do you get the Tasline ?

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:29 am

15/4 power pro with 4# floroclear leader. Recent picked up the floroclear and im really liking it so far.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 am

I have always used Tectan but the 2 braids that show the most promise are Tasline SAS Tournament and Sunline Small Game. Both still float but knot strength is no longer an issue. Using 4 pound fluoro leaders are easy but some knots that require a knot to turn over make threading the braid through quite a challenge. Knots still work better when the braid is doubled. The color of the Sunline takes some getting used to. Both are available in capacities that make sense, Tasline can be found in 450 yard spools. My fishing was with 6 pound test, which is an underestimation, both went easily over 8-9 pounds. The Sunline is available in lighter tests, which will make for more knot tying challenges. Naturally, both are not cheap.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:21 am

uljersey wrote:Where do you get the Tasline ?
It's a company out of Australia. http://www.justfishingtasline.com/#!online-store/c7rw

They'll send you samples as well.