ultra light trout rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
fjp110
Angler
Angler

ultra light trout rod

Post by fjp110 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm new to this forum and think I may have found a great resource here. I live in SE Pa and spend a lot of time fishing for stocked trout. I am looking for a rod that will make that a bit more fun. I have a custom 4' built to be very flimsy. it will bend in half on a 9'' stocked trout. I love it but want a longer rod around 6' or 7'.I mainly fish either live bait (worms, wax worms, minnows) or a salmon egg. I do want to try marabou jigs now. I will probably use it to catch blue gills with a weighted jig and a balsa bobber. It appears that the Loomis TSR 790-1 is built with my wants in mind. It is a fast action rod however nad I was leaning towards a very slow rod. I am here looking for any input anyone has, other rods that are better suited for me, if I'm way off base with the Loomis. Any help would be great.

Also if anyone near me knows where I can actually touch one of the TSR 790-1 that would be great too.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: ultra light trout rod

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:03 pm

I used to prefer very moderate actions for trout thinking it was "better" and "more fun". I've since switched to enjoying the fast actions of the TSR's. I feel more connected to the fish and it feels like they pull harder as the rod transfers more of the fight to your hand and doesn't dampen it as much as a rod with a soft backbone. If you mean the TSR 791 it's a fantastic rod and lots of fun to fish on trout from 8" to 7lb.

DReihl9896
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DReihl9896 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:32 pm

I've had the TSR801-2 GLX and also the TSR690 GLX. The 801-2 is listed as fast action, but the tip section is very light and provides plenty of shock absorption. It does taper pretty quickly to a stiff butt section though. That is listed ultra-light, but if you look at their catalog, ultra-light really covers two different power ratings in G. Loomis Trout Rods, a 1 and a 0, meaning the rod I would have been slightly more powerful that the 790 you mentioned. I would expect the tip diameter of that one to be slightly narrower and that small trout would still put a pretty good bend in it, though again, being a fast action, that bend is probably going to be similar to your 4 foot slow action with a pretty stiff 3 foot extension added to it. The 690 GLX I had is a little slower rod and probably a little closer to what you are accustomed to. Small trout would put a really good bend in it, though it did have some backbone in the lower half and because of the higher modulus blank it felt super crisp when loading and unloading during a cast. I actually paired it with the CI4 1000 Stradic and 4lb PowerPro and will say that that combo felt absolutely electric. It would be great for most of what you plan to do. I drifted small gulp baits and pitched small spinners and loved it. I could see however, why you might want something a little longer for running balsa floats though, unless you are using a slip float.

Another option to look at for a more reasonable price would be the Fenwick River Runners. As I mentioned, I "used" to have a couple of TSR's. I traded the 690 in for the longer two piece and then this year might waders finally wore out and it just wasn't in the budget. For what I was able to get from my TSR801-2 GLX and Sustain 1000FE, plus a little change, I was able to purchase a decent replacement set of waders, plus an Elite Tech River Runner along with an Elite Tech Smallmouth spinning rod and Pfueger Presidents for each. The rods just arrived and I'll be happy to provide an update on the River Runner once the waders arrive as well, but so far my impressions are that that is a great little rod for the money. That might be a series to check out along with the St. Croix Panfish or Avid. I've always been intrigued by Phenix's trout offerings as well, but have no experience with them to speak of.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:19 pm

I have a TSR 791 GLX and a TSR792

But for your usage, I'll also throw the Phenix Elixir into the pool and if $ is no object, the iron feather

Shru
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shru » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:20 am

If your thinking of going custom....

http://www.northforkcomposites.com/product/fw-701-1-hm

I have this very same blank, 1 piece 7 foot in the HM version
had it custom built with titanium micro fly guides and this is just pure heaven fishing with....

fjp110
Angler
Angler

Post by fjp110 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 am

I really appreciate the feedback. please keep it coming.

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ranger 619VS » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:56 am

fjp,

I have most of the longer rods in the series from 6'2 to 7'2 both one and two piece. Let me know what question you want answered. PM if you want also.

Ranger 619VS/Brian

fjp110
Angler
Angler

Post by fjp110 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:27 am

I don't really have any specific questions. Just more of a question if this rod sounds like what I am looking for with what I want to use it for. It sounds like the tsr 790-1 is what I am looking for. Although the Phoenix elixir looks interesting too. The iron feather is not really my style looks wise. I just wish I could hold any of these rods before buying them. I can't find any around me though.

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ranger 619VS » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:07 am

fjp,

One of my friends and sponsors slab jiggies is pro staff for Phenix. He has extensive knowledge of their products. He is on this forum now and could answer your questions on the Phenix rods. I absolutely love my TSR740-2 and TSR790-1 for stream fishing trout and smallmouth bass. I also use a SR720-2 GL3 paired to a Daiwa Presso 1003. I am a fan of longer ul rods as most of my fishing is done from my boats and I like the added distance the longer rods give your casts. I also like how the longer rods provide more protection for light line when the surprise big fish hits. My favorite rods from the TSR series are in order TSR801-2 ( 6'8 ul 2 piece ), TSR791 ( 6'7 ul 1 piece ), TSR790 ( 6'7 moderate ul 1 piece), TSR862-2 ( 7'2 light 2 piece ) and the TSR802-2 ( 6'8 light 2 piece ). I have all my rods matched to 1003 size Daiwa reels from Japan. I do stream fish often but I mostly chase panfish and such using ultra light soft plastic lures on lakes and ponds. I have tried most of the ultra light rods on the market at one time or another. I have owned and liked the River Runner series from Fenwick, both the 6'8 ultra light and light action rods were great I just found their handle design was not what I liked, I recently bought a St Croix 6'9 ultra light for my nephew to fish with and I really like the rod. Long and sensitive and has a great action. I at one time purchased a few Megabass ultra light spinning rods and their build quality was amazing however I liked the action and feel of the G. Loomis TSR series rods better.

Ranger619VS/Brian

fjp110
Angler
Angler

Post by fjp110 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:37 am

I need to clarify.

I am talking about the loomis TSR790S-1, The 1-4 test rod. Not the TsR791 the 2-6 test rod.

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ranger 619VS » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:57 am

FJP,

TSR790-1 is an awesome rod, very sensitive and moderate too....Every fish feels huge..Caught a ton of stock sized rainbows on mine this Spring. Landed a ton of crappies and Yellow Perch to 2.25lbs on it too. Caught the attached Walleye on it also. A great rod you will be happy if you get one. I run braid on my ul rods...Buddy fishes his for stream trout with both 3lb and 2lb mono and raves about it! He landed a 5.5lb holdover brown on his 790/ Daiwa Fuego combo with 3lb mono and still is smiling....Good luck with the rod and let us know the reel your matching up with it..... In my humble opinion 1000 size is best but a 1500 would work too.

Ranger619VS/Brian
Attachments
6lb 26in Walleye Lake Hopatcong 4-17-13.jpg
6lb 26in Walleye Lake Hopatcong 4-17-13.jpg (54.07 KiB) Viewed 13911 times

fjp110
Angler
Angler

Post by fjp110 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Ranger, that is what I wanted to hear, that every fish feels huge. I think I am sold on that rod but I do want to check out these phenix elixir rods now that I have found out about them. I just discovered this site a few days ago and have learned way too much. I never knew about half the rod brands I'm reading about.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:44 am

I posted this before, this is my friend with a Phenix Elixir 6'6L

fjp110
Angler
Angler

Post by fjp110 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:31 am

that is a really cool picture. what is he hooked up on?

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:54 pm

crappie

I caught some good size bass on the elixir and it handles them pretty nicely...

the Elixir has a more moderate action in comparison to the TSR, not that it's whippy though. It's hard to say which one is better, it boils down to personal preference. I can tell you I like the looks of the Elixir more esp with the wood integrated handle.