ultra light trout rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: ultra light trout rod

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:17 am

razvan wrote:
MondayMonkey wrote:Their rods are super light. I think it was something like 3.3oz for a 10ft steelhead 6-12lb rod. I'd love to see what their 7ft trout rods weigh and then put a Stella on one.
Their 10 ft blank weighs 1.75 oz and the 7 ft is 1.03 oz. There is a nice ultra light long noodle blank nfc makes and it is IM!!! Weighs 1.85 oz and the length is 11 ft 6 in. That would make the nicest extremely long 2wt fly rod / ultralight classic action trout rod for larger rivers on the market today if we don't count in the cts fv/fm/fx fly ones. But even these are available to shorter lengths only, 9ft for fv, the lightest, 10 ft for fm and 10 ft 6 in for fx the fastest and the heaviest. If there is interest for a rod in the 6 ft 6 in to 8 ft range, a cts blank (the 8 ft) will weigh up to half (the 0 wt) of the 7 ft nfc HM blank (rated to about 7 wt).
That's impressive that those guys are only adding an ounce and a half of weight with guides, reel seat, and handle grips. Or maybe it isn't i'm not a rod builder lol but it impresses the hell out of me.

fjp110
Angler
Angler

Post by fjp110 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:47 pm

I ordered the Lommis last week. I think I'm really going to love it.

aprestonSEK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aprestonSEK » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:47 am

I have a Fenwick River Runner 5'8 UL with a fast action that is perfect for throwing jigs or spoons. It has the forgiving bend you want when trout fishing and a fast action that gives you a solid hookup. It's a blast to catch stock trout on.

tomustang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tomustang » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:44 am

I ultralight a lot with a 7' ULM avid, works great on trout. For a more stiffer action for lures I use a 6'ULF

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:30 am

aprestonSEK wrote:I have a Fenwick River Runner 5'8 UL with a fast action that is perfect for throwing jigs or spoons. It has the forgiving bend you want when trout fishing and a fast action that gives you a solid hookup. It's a blast to catch stock trout on.
The River Runner is a fantastic stick.

yogidozer1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by yogidozer1 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:56 am

Orvis superfine. 7' 4 weight. 1 oz. w/o the reel

buzz 039
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by buzz 039 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:17 am

I just wish I could hold any of these rods before buying them. I can't find any around me though.[/quote]

my problem too, no one around here stocks SC Avid or Trout or Fenwick Elite, Loomis is extremely limited, I did have a TFO 6' UL, it was a wet noodle and have a Loomis GL2 6'6" L and it is just as limp. I can tell you be careful of looking at specs, different manufactures have different rating systems (why ?) so if you compare specs of SC to Falcon, etc. you will be comparing apples to oranges. GL

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:04 am

Got a couple of new rods in: a Fenwick 5'6" UL with the compressed handle cork, not the newest one but the one with the tennessee handle. It feels great and should work wonders for small stream trout, blue gill fishing.. also a daiwa spinmatic 6'6" UL... it feels good, not a noodle... feels like i can get a decent hookset with a bit of backbone. looking to get a 6' UL spinmatic if i like the 6'6" enough. haven't gotten to testing these rods yet but i should be able to get out this weekend hopefully [-o< not trying to spend a whole lot for UL so these will do for now :big grin:

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:15 am

Those Spinmatic C rods seem to get a lot of favorable reviews at numerous places...despite their low cost. They come in a large range of lengths too... and even a pack rod.

I have the 8' model which I got to play with regarding casting distances with vintage narrow spool reels and light lures...it would be more limber than the 6'/6'6" models of course...I liked it enough to get the pack rod too.