Favorite jigs?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Favorite jigs?

Post by sqhertz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:33 pm

What's everyones favorite jigs? Bucktail or for plastics. I would rather buy bulk if someone if I can find some with quality hooks. Also, what size hook does everyone prefer for 2" baits?

Thanks!!

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Favorite jigs?

Post by Ranger 619VS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Hey Man,

I have had the best luck with the lunker city ultra light round jigheads in both 1/16 and 1/8oz. Their cone shape bait keeprs allow for more fish per bait. Just mu opinion though. I have landed thousands of fish on them in last few years. These jigs come with a size 4 hook. It works great with 2" baits.

Ranger 619VS

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks I'll check those out.

Didn't realize I butchered my post until I reread it just now. Still getting used to this new swype keyboard for my phone.

T-Grub
Angler
Angler

Post by T-Grub » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:13 am

Right now I would say that my favorites are a 2 inch Kalin Triple Threat grub with a 1/16 oz. Luck-E Strike two color jig head with a black nickle gamakatsu hook and a 2 inch Yamamoto crappie grub with a 1/32 oz. Luck-E Strike two color jig head with a black nickle gamakatsu hook. These two grubs seem to cover most of my ultra light needs in the river and in lakes. I also have had great luck with the River 2 Sea Standing Yabbie 40. These baits catch fish, are not very durable. However, after the Shellcrackers in the river tear off the claws, I end up with a nice ultra-light standing jig head with black nickle hooks that works well with the Lindy Whatsit Grub body. This year I am looking for a good ultra light shad tail grub. I have ordered the 2 inch Keitech Swing Impact grub, the 13/4 inch Ecogear Grass Minnow and the 2 inch Megabass Rocky Fry Vib Tail grub. If any of you have used these shad tail grubs or can recommend another shad tail grub for ultra light fishing, I would like to hear your thoughts and recommendations. Thanks.

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ranger 619VS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:26 am

T-Grub,

Not sure if it fits your fishing but I have had amazing results with the 2" Berkley Powerbait Ripple shad. Nice baitfish profile and a great thumping shad tail. I have caught an amazing amount of crappies, bluegills, yellow perch, pickerel , both LM and SM bass as well as a few awesome Walleyes on these thrown on 1/16oz jigheads. Just my .02...........I an also a fan of the the old school slider grub...

Ranger 619VS

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:01 pm

I like GAMAKATSU jigs.
With GAMAKATSU 1/16 oz.,1/8 oz. crappie jigs(hook sz.2)i was catching a lot of flounder ,specks ,red fish in salt water with BASS ASSASSIN CURLY SHAD 2"chartreuse ,crystal,and GULP MINNOW GRUB 2"chartreuse ,red.

upload foto

upload foto

upload foto

T-Grub
Angler
Angler

Post by T-Grub » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:08 am

Nice flounder. I just picked up a couple of bags of 1/16 oz. Gamakatsu jigs with size 1 black hooks for both the Yamamoto 2 inch grubs and the Ecogear Grass Minnow. I used Pro-Tec powder paint to paint them black, then baked them in the oven to harden the finish. They feel sharp. I am looking forward to testing them out on some smallmouth bass if the weather in Virginia ever warms up. We got three inches of snow yesterday in Roanoke.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:44 am

I've been fishing a lot of the 1/16oz Keitechs in the 3 or 4 different types of jigs they make. All of them are great except for the shakey heads. A few of them are even UL sized!

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Leland Trout and Crappie Magnets....Crappie at 1/16 and 1/32 oz.; Trout: gold, black and silver in 1/64 oz. size.

Nice for those very lifelike but tiny Crème Creatures.

They seem to have their own bugs now too.

Made in USA as well.

http://www.fishusa.com/LuresJigsBait-Ji ... res_c.html

You can buy bulk direct:

https://www.troutmagnet.com/

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Mon May 20, 2013 12:20 pm

For 2" plastic lures i use (for bigger fish)and GAMAKATSU ROUND 26 ,1/8 oz.jigs,hook size 1/0

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Mon May 20, 2013 12:25 pm

T-Grub wrote:Nice flounder. I just picked up a couple of bags of 1/16 oz. Gamakatsu jigs with size 1 black hooks for both the Yamamoto 2 inch grubs and the Ecogear Grass Minnow. I used Pro-Tec powder paint to paint them black, then baked them in the oven to harden the finish. They feel sharp. I am looking forward to testing them out on some smallmouth bass if the weather in Virginia ever warms up. We got three inches of snow yesterday in Roanoke.
Is more easy and faster to paint the jig head with Pro-Tec powder paint with heat gun,so you don't need to baked them in the oven.

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 pm

For 2" soft lures i forgot to tell another jigs what i use ,GAMAKATSU ROUND 211,1/16 oz..You can see these jigs and some fish catch by me with these jigs in this pictures :

screen shot windows

[url=http://postimage.org/app.php]how to make sc

Juxtapoisson
Angler
Angler

Post by Juxtapoisson » Sat May 25, 2013 1:27 am

Honestly, I am happy with the BPS 1/32 squirt heads. I like the oval (as opposed to circle) profile. They are cheap and easy and hook just fine panfish and LMB. I could probably try something fancier, or even larger. But I am happy.

SmallieSmasher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SmallieSmasher » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:32 am

I really like the lunker city UL jigheads, very sharp hooks. Also like to find painted jigheads whenever I can as the colour can really make a difference, especially when the water isn't all that clear. For a trailer, I have yet to find a better one than the 2" grubs from Gary Yamamoto, they're killer! Catch everything from the smallest of Rock Bass to 3 pound Smallies. Just beware as the plastic on the grubs is very soft and rips after a couple fish, but well worth it.