Ultralight Umbrella Rigs

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Ace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Ultralight Umbrella Rigs

Post by Ace » Tue May 15, 2012 7:18 am

Don't know how I feel about these, they are sweeping the bass world. Would you throw them?

http://www.landbigfish.com/Yum/Yum-YUMb ... ripods.cfm

hsangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Ultralight Umbrella Rigs

Post by hsangler » Tue May 15, 2012 9:04 am

I bought one of em, they seem pretty nice, used it once. Havent caught anything on it yet though. To stop them from tangling a lot you have to bend the wires out a bit

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:11 am

Yeah I bought one of them too when I saw them in Wal-Mart a while back. I only threw it a few times at a local creek on the way home, but I think it would be pretty fun to use for schooling white bass or something.

It's really heavy though; the head on it is lead. I wouldn't throw it with anything less than about a MH casting rod. And because of the weight, you have to fish it pretty fast to keep it off of the bottom. I did get hung up a couple of times, but the hooks straightened out pretty easily with 10lb fluorocarbon.

I think I remember seeing one made with higher quality materials in this year's In-Fisherman Panfish issue. I'll have to look it up if I find that magazine again.

Ace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ace » Tue May 15, 2012 11:05 am

If it is that heavy and you have to use a MH rod, I wouldn't think it would be that fun to fish for panfishing? Maybe more of a finesse bass rig.

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Tue May 15, 2012 11:28 am

Ace wrote:If it is that heavy and you have to use a MH rod, I wouldn't think it would be that fun to fish for panfishing? Maybe more of a finesse bass rig.
Certainly not "ultralight" ;)