My Otterod UL

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

My Otterod UL

Post by cst » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:00 pm

Wrapped on a 7'6" Dan Craft 3 wt. Haven't fished it yet, so not much to say other than it looks and feels awesome. :D

T-Grub
Angler
Angler

Re: My Otterod UL

Post by T-Grub » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:31 am

Great looking combo, congratulations. Matt does a great job. I just got a North Fork Composites SB5100 from Otterods that I paired with a new Sustain 1000. It is by far the best feeling rod I own. I have caught a couple of trout with it, but I cannot wait to chase some smallmouth with this combo in the spring.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Nice! Could you post some more info on the rod? Are those micro guides? Thanks
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

dmat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dmat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Very nice!

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:10 am

zodiak311 wrote:Nice! Could you post some more info on the rod? Are those micro guides? Thanks
I was looking for an UL rod to buy and take with me on out of state fishing trips without having to check in some baggage. I usually do one or two trips to some nice trout waters each year and needed something to use after the guided trip was over or if the guide had bad equipment (which they sometimes do).

It seemed like the only way to do this was with a fly rod. I ended up picking the Dan Block because I read a few fly fishing forum threads with users saying it is one of the faster 3wt fly rod. I had never heard of the company or seen one of their rods but I took the chance and went with them and it ended up being a good decision. The rod ended up being just a tad slower than I wanted but I don't really care. It's so crisp and responsive.

Here's the link to the blank if anyone is interested: http://www.dancraftent.com/detail/index.cfm?nPID=2447

The handle consists of a Fuji VSS reel seat and various Matagi parts. I went with the carbon fiber forgrip because I like it on my DXs. There is also a balancing kit in there and it's amazing how much of a difference that makes.

I don't know much about the guides but I did end up going with micros. I'm a little concerned about how they will fish in freezing weather but I rarely see weather that cold anyway. Anyway, I'll copy paste some guide info I found in an email:
Fuji titanium framed SiC guides, TATSG main guides, TLSG micro running guides
There are also little white marks to help align the 4 pieces of the blank. A cool little feature I would go crazy without!

Oh and the reel is a Presso 1003.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks guys.
zodiak311 wrote: Could you post some more info on the rod? Are those micro guides?
Blank: Dan Craft FRSIV763-4‏. It measured out at 57°. So, not overly fast for a spin/cast blank but for a fly blank, its quite fast. Its power is quite light as well. It came out with a similar level of power as the St. Croix 5S59ULF, the Loomis S781, and the North Fork FW461.

Grips: Combination of Matagi cork just in the reel seat area and then the remainder I glued up and shaped from a CG2 grade of cork.

Seat: Fuji VSS with an assembled Matagi parts fore/lock nut

Guides: Fuji titanium framed SiC's. TATSG guides and TLSG #4 running guides.

Matagi balancing system.

cst wrote: There are also little white marks to help align the 4 pieces of the blank. A cool little feature I would go crazy without!
I do a small wrap on the male and female ends of the ferrule and then put an alignment marker on top of the wraps to make it easier to get your rod sections lined up.

Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:35 am

Beautiful work as always Matt. I'm jealous of the combo.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:22 pm

awesome
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:41 am

Sweet rod 8-) =D> . I have an Orvis Helios Ion 6' #2 fly stick that I'm considering getting converted to a spinning rod. I have the same guides as you have on your rod. My aim will be to get the weight as low as poss, so straight cork / eva handle with slip rings. As a fly rod it comes in at 7/8oz / 24g fully built, so seriously light :shock: .