The Search fpr the Best Ultra-Lite Spinning Reel

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
clipper1955
Angler
Angler

Re: The Search fpr the Best Ultra-Lite Spinning Reel

Post by clipper1955 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:17 pm

Maybe I'm gonna be the odd man out around here, but I can make a better and cheaper rod than anything I've ever found in a store. I usually use commercial rods (I even have an old Cabelas Uni-butt UL rod that's over 20 years old) for my 4# test rigs, 'cause 4# is easy, but I build my 2# and lighter rods from flyrod blanks. I use 2-piece belled cork handles with compression rings and 4 1/2' - 5' OAL. 5 guides and the tip, simply glued on and heat shrink tubed. Right now I'm working on a 1# test rig using a 2wt flyrod blank. The best reel I've ever used for UL is the Quantum microspin 00 size.

Caught many legal (24"+) Pike on the 4# rigs, And my biggest bass (23", 6# river-run smallmouth) on my first home-built 2# rig.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:33 pm

I gotta say that reading this thread has piqued my interest in the 25 size Pfleuger Supremes. What are the differences between the MGX and XT versions?

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:20 pm

This thread is intriguing. Years ago I used to UL fish using an old Berkley Air IM7 rod and Shimano Symetre. It was a lot of fun but I moved on. I think I'm going to get a rig for lite spin fishing this year and I have been eyeballing the Bass Pro Shops Carbonlite rod in the 6'9" length 4-10lb range. Not ultralite I know but the fish I would be targeting would be small 1-3lb smallmouth, white Bass and some brown trout to 2lb. I see that BPS now makes a Carbonlite reel that is under 7oz , has the large arbour spool but is made out of some proprietary graphite not metal. I would be interested to know how guys feel about large arbour reels like the Bass Pro models and the Pfluegar models. I have 3 Pfluegar Supreme spin reels but they are all big 40 size ones and I do love them for the light weight, great drag and big spool that promotes long casts and no birdsnests from spool memory. BPS is showing the Carbonlite rod and reel combo for $149 which is essentially $30 off too. I'm also eyeballing the 9' Carbonlite for steam Steelhead up here in Canada.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Pflueger has that Arborist line where they emphasize the spool geometry your talking about...unfortunately, no UL sized reels in those offered.

It will certainly begin the spool debate again, why not since it is January, diameter, length, or width depending on your viewpoint, using, or making, shallow spools; etc., etc.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:58 pm

I might take a beating for my choice and I admit I don't use spinning gear a whole lot, but my favorite small spinning reel for the last two years has been a Wavespin DhxL. Can't say enought good thing about them. I've NEVER thrown a loop with mine, there very smooth (not as smooth as my Twinpower, but very close), they have great drags and come with extra washers, in fact I've never had a single issue with mine or my fathers. Very impressive reels for the price.

wolfewiz
Angler
Angler

Post by wolfewiz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:27 am

Dollar for dollar it is hard to beat the Shimaon CI4 for all spinnning reel applications.

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:57 am

Over the years I've tried a lot of different reels, but for the past few seasons I've settled on a Shimano Twinpower Mg1000 PGSDH. Can't see me changing it any time soon. Loaded with 4lb braid it's U/L perfection.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:25 pm

cjtoad wrote:I might take a beating for my choice and I admit I don't use spinning gear a whole lot, but my favorite small spinning reel for the last two years has been a Wavespin DhxL. Can't say enought good thing about them. I've NEVER thrown a loop with mine, there very smooth (not as smooth as my Twinpower, but very close), they have great drags and come with extra washers, in fact I've never had a single issue with mine or my fathers. Very impressive reels for the price.
I've read a bit about them.

Have you seen the TT writeup??

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewavespindhxl.html

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:45 pm

Wavespin has a newer reel at Cabelas that is about $90 so it's probably better than the original. I think the smallest model is about 6.5oz.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Cost no object - Daiwa Exist 1003 in whatever iteration.

Cost factored in - Pflueger Patriach 9525x.

UL

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:15 am

ultralight wrote:Cost no object - Daiwa Exist 1003 in whatever iteration.

Cost factored in - Pflueger Patriach 9525x.

UL
Toatally agree - I would also mention one model in between: Certate 2004 or even 2506
My preference is 2506 (as the best compromise) due to aforementioned spool geometry.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:32 am

My buddy has a set of Certates and they are sweeeeeet. Better than Stellas according to him (he had a bunch of them too)

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:26 pm

UL? I use a Shimano 500 sized reel. All your Pfluegers are piles of cement by comparison.

2lb test and a long-ish rod and I can cast as far as I'd wish.

Too small? Has plenty of guts for the dinner plate crappies, ornery rock bass, and creek smallies.

The only downside is the best model available is a Symetre. You could trade them off me if you offered one of those sweet shallow-spooled JDM daiwas though...

icenine
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by icenine » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:35 am

Shimano Sedona 500FD is the most reasonably priced and best UL reel I've ever used.

Dabluz
Angler
Angler

Post by Dabluz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:00 pm

I love ultralite fishing. I live in a region where brook trout are in just about every lake pond and ditch...lol. The average size is about 12 inches but I know places where the average is 15 inches and 22 inch brook trout are not rare. For close to 20 years, I've been using an Abu Garcia Ultralite Pro Max. It was very nice and is still in top notch shape. However, instant anti-reverse was hard to find in those days. I just recently acquired an Abu Garcia 601 ALB and it's perfect for me. Here in Quebec, they sell for a bit over 100 dollars but I bought mine on special 30% off.

It's all aluminum with a spare aluminum spool. The spool is much shallower and quite a bit longer than my old Pro Max ultralight.

I've got 3 lb test Narcrita monofilament line on one spool now and will probably put some 2 lb Nanofil on the other spool. Meanwhile, my old Abu Garcia will probably be respooled with Nanofil 4 lb test and the other spool will have some 4 lb test Sensation copolymer because I like to use ultralight rod and reel for landlocked salmon and walleye. Even though the old Pro Max does not have instant anti-reverse, it still works great for swimming small minnow baits and spinners because my hand is always on the handle.

The best ultralight rod that I have found so far has been a very inexpensive rod. It's a 6' 6" or a 7 foot Daiwa Spinmatic. It's not in the least little bit wimpy. I hate it when rod manufacturers think that an ultra light rod has to be short and wimpy.

I sure could use another spool for either one of my ultralight reels because I like to use 2 lb test mono for throwing tiny spinners and minnow baits. Anyway, I will try the 2 lb test Nanofil this year. From what I have heard, it casts a mile.

When fly fishing, I use leaders as light as 3/4 lb test when I'm using tiny ant imitations (size 22 to 26).