Your favorite 2 lbs test?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Your favorite 2 lbs test?

Post by ultralight » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:59 am

I use 2 lbs line test almost exclusively.

If anyone here use 2 lbs, wondering what is your favorite 2 lbs test, and why. (I suppose 3 lbs is close enough...:)

Thanks,
UL

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Your favorite 2 lbs test?

Post by cst » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:54 pm

ultralight wrote:I use 2 lbs line test almost exclusively.

If anyone here use 2 lbs, wondering what is your favorite 2 lbs test, and why. (I suppose 3 lbs is close enough...:)

Thanks,
UL
I use 3lb Toray Bawo Super Finesse for most of my trout fishing needs. They have a 2lbs and 2.5lbs too but I find that a bit too light, even for mini jigging.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:40 am

Tectan. The fluoros just cannot match the limpness. The braids are nice but all float to some extent.

adyy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adyy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:04 am

Varivas Game
Trabucco XPS
http://ultralightworks.weebly.com/

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks to all who responded.

Thor, I do like Tectan for its strength to diameter ratio. I think it is one of the strongest line for the diameter in the UL tests. However, I've had two friends whom I consider to be top finesse trout fisherman who tested it and for some reason, found the line to be more visible to the trout an got fewer bites with Tectan in side by side A/B tests on the same day. It has happened enough times that I've moved away from that line. Not sure if I can explain it.

I'm a bit surprised that no one mentioned Sunline Sniper. Any comments on that in 2 lbs test by anyone who may have tried it?

Thanks,
UL

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:22 am

Interesting observation on the visibility. I have never had that experience but my fishing is focused on smallmouth and saltwater species.

I tried Sunline Sniper, not as limp and knots were an issue.

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Post by Tomhdez » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Berkley Nanofil. Hands down the best I have ever used! This line is well... For starters it cast like a bullet. I have fished it For a while now and havent had any problems with knots. I took it up to pyramid lake ( home of trophy monster cutthroats) and I hooked into a couple 24" and didn't have any second thoughts about leaning hard into the drag. I'm quite impressed with this line. Sensitivity as well feels like fishing greased braided line. No stretch and no guide noise. The only issue I have is that knots are a bit hard To tie given the lines small diameter and smooth surface. But it's something I can live with given how well it performs! If you get Nanofil stay away from small crowded ponds until you really get a feel for casting with it! I pissed off my share of fellow anglers casting into "their " water!

Shumidesu
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Shumidesu » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:54 am

This is what works best for me:

Applaud GT-R Pink Selection 2LB Nylon.
I have not noticed any difference in catch quantity between clear and colored line.
With such light line,I prefer the extra visibility.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:32 am

Thor, do you mean the knot is weak with Fluoro? Or just hard to tie?

Tomhdez, what lb test Nano are you using? i've heard of numerous report of unexplained breakage of 2 lbs nano in the hands of an excellent fisherman I know.

UL

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Fluoro lines are well known for knot issues. Some do believe that the reason is the relative stiffness, knots do not cinch down as well.

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Post by Tomhdez » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:22 pm

2lb. Like I said I have fished it for a while now and have hooked into a ton of fish, weeds , rocks all kinds of stuff and haven't had I break on me yet. Honestly It feels at least a strong as the last 4lb copoly I used. I'm also relatively new to the sport and wouldn't consider myself an expert but I like to experiment. I tie the knot recommend by berkley and I haven had any issues. I also don't use any leader.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:47 pm

I never had a knot fail with 2lb flouro. Break-offs around rocks and toothy critters yes, but never a knot failure. If you have your drag set right you should never have knot failure with a good quality flouro. I used Berkely vanish but intend upon trying something new come next year. Considering giving Silver Thread a try.

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:38 am

Knots do not fail when they are tied properly. Fluoro lines make tying knots properly difficult, especially with ultralight lines. Few knots are consistently 100% knots, so properly seating them in ultralight lines requires a measured touch. Softer rods and good drags are very important to success while fishing.

The new Berkley line is like most of the high tech material lines, much stronger than rated in a straight pull but problems with knots seating completely, which is why we see all the modified jam knots to improve this issue. This line also floats, like the rest. However, it is a novel approach to lines and bears trying for topwater or upper water column applications.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:57 am

For what it's worth, my Nanofil 2 lbs test breaks consistently at right about 2.1 lbs. Breaks not at the knot, but the line itself. 3 lbs Nanofil breaks at 4 lbs for me. That is consistent with the difference in the cross section area of the line so I believe that I'm correct.

UL

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:08 am

I recently aquired Tectan to try out...but only the 3.1 # test.