TSR681-2

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Tyler Shands
Angler
Angler

TSR681-2

Post by Tyler Shands » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:18 am

I promised some time ago to write a review of this rod, so here it is . I selected the 681-2 because I prefer a shorter rod for use from shore in small over-grown ponds, wading small streams a kayaking small fast rivers. A shorter rod is an asset casting around obstructions and branches . Also shorter rods are easier to protect in the kayak. I selected a 2 piece rod for ease of transport .The rod stays in my car at all times so i can always go fishing .
Modern 2-peice rods are equal to any 1-piece. They are just as sensitive and cast just as far . If you are worried about the connection point just use a little bit of ferrule wax . Most good fly shops carry it .
The first thing that I noticed about the rod was just how truly different the action was . Basically only the top one third bends when casting. This was initially awkward to cast as I was used to using more wrist on my more moderate action ultra lights. Once I got used to the action I discovered the rod casts farther and with a lower trajectory.
I found the rod to be exceptionally sensitive and able to handle baits as light as 1/32 to 1/8 . The rod really shines casting 1/32 oz jigs . I was truly amazed at just how far that I could cast them and how sensitive the rod was with light strikers . It also has plenty of backbone as I have set the hook easily fishing small texas-rigged worms .
So far I've fished this rod in 2011 about 80 to 90 times . The largest fish that I have caught so far was a 10 lbs garfish . I've also caught 3 largemouth bass in the 4-5 lbs range , smallmouth up to 3 1/2 lbs and many bluegill in the pound range . I will try to post some photos as soon as I can figure out how to reduce the pixels .
I fished this rod with a Daiwa Fuego which has one of the ugliest color schemes going . Eventhough the reel is pretty ugly it performed like a champ . The drag is as smooth as glass and there were no issues at all with the reel getting wet . I primarily use 4lbs line but fished afew times with heavier baits using 6lbs just to see how the rod could handle the extra weight .
In summary the rod is fantastic and has far exceeded my expectations . I will certainly be getting a second TSR in the future . The only problem will be deciding which model .

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TSR681-2

Post by Ranger 619VS » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Tyler,

Great review ! So glad the rod has worked out for you. As you know I love the TSR series too. The 1000 fuego is similair to my Exist 1003H native custom they do work out well with the rods. If you wanty a nicer reel that will match well you can always buy a Daiwa JDM Luvias. I have one on my GL2 TJR. Same body color as your Fuego but with silver trim and spool. Please post up a pic or two of the combo or some captures. Love to see what your catching .

Brian R. Brennan

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: TSR681-2

Post by JB in SC » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:50 pm

I've had my TSR 681-2 since about Feb of 2010. I use mine for trout. I put a Stradic Ci4 1000 on it and am really amazed what a comfortable outfit it is to cast.

Jerry