A few Loomis TSR questions

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

A few Loomis TSR questions

Post by ultralight » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:51 pm

All the posts on the Loomis TSR make it pretty clear that Loomis hit a homerun with this series. When someone like Ranger619 like them more then the customs, that says a lot! Wish I could see these in person. Since I don't have a dealer close by, thought I'd ask a few questions for you enthusiasts here.... :)

1. A number of you said the handle is a lot better than the previous IMX/GLX design. What is it that makes it better? Is it that large bump ahead of the reel? (Anyone can measure the diameter of the largest part of that bump in front of the handle?) Or something else about the handle?

2. How is the taper better than the previous IMX/GLX design?

3. I'm surprised that most of them are fast action. For example, the 801 and 802 are fast. Are these TRUE fast action - meaning most of the bend is in the top 1/3 to 1/4 of the rod length? Looking at their TSR specsite, their fast is really a fast action. I'm surpprised as I thought a lot of the UL fisherman like more moderate actions.

4. The 802 are rated at 1/16 oz and up. However, anyone casting 1/32 oz jigs? My sense is that they will cast 1/32 just fine if you generate enough rod speed to load the rod itself. True/False?

5. Composite cork tend to be a lot heavier than non-composite cork. The TSR seem to have a fair bit of darker composite cork. I'm assuming that most of these in the six to seven foot range are over 3 ounces? Anyone weigh theirs?

Thanks in advance for any comments. I got to find one to check out around here.... ](*,)

Thanks,
UL

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: A few Loomis TSR questions

Post by Ranger 619VS » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:19 am

UL,

I will give my take on the series and try and answer some of your questions.

1. The handle is more confortable to me because it has a shorter foregrip. It allows you to rest you index finger on the blank for added strike detection. The overall diameter of the handle setup is larger then the previous SR series so it fills the hand better. My hands are not overly large and I prefer the TSR configuration to my SR rods.

2. The taper is something I am not versed enough in to describe properly.

3. I use a pair of 801-2 and 1 802-2 rods for most of my ul fishing. The 2 piece rods are slightly more moderate then the one piece models of the same rating. I love the 801-2 the most but find the 802-2 fishes ul lure fine, casts 1/16oz baits great, throws a Rapala CD01 a mile......lol.

4. Ihave not weighend mine but find it close to the SR series but maybe a bit more heavy. The composite graphite blend must be heavier then the straight IMX or GLX, but I don't feel it all that much.

5. If you want a moderate rod in the series the one piece TSR790-1 is a nice stick, 2 of the guys I fish with often have that model and its a real noodle, not in a bad way either, rod loads way down the blank a real fun rod to fish. If I did not already have the pair of 801-2 models I would have the 790 for sure.

Hope this helps...PM me if you need me to weight he rod or measure anything else.

Ranger 619VS

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks Ranger. (Love to hear from anyone else too.)

Sure, if its OK, would appreciate to know the diameter of the widest point at the foregrip. My design philosophy on the fore grip is quite similar except that I think the TSRs are even fatter than mine.

Also, you did not list any GLX version so you are just using the regular TSR and not the GLX version which is both lighter in the blank and guides?

Thanks,
UL

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:40 pm

I'll bite.

I fished the IMX SR841-2 for many years. this year, I sold it in favor of a TSR791 (non GLX) one peice rod, as I loved the IMX but didn't like the two peice configuration. one peice rods cast better, are lighter and are more sensitive. the only drawback is that they are easier to walk into a tree, slam in a car door etc. LOL if you are careful and are not trekking through the forest with the rods, one peice is definately the way to go IMO. but not if you are flying with them :)

I was very happy with my choice, the TSR791 was all that I hoped it would be and more. I much prefer it to the IMX SR series that I had for so long.

I like the handle more as it has an up locking reel seat. the IMXs and GLXs of the SR series have a down locking reel seat, which means you are holding on to the lock nut which is not only uncomfortable, you end up putting torque on the lock nut just in the course of normal fishing.

the taper of the rod has about the same crisp fast action (true fast, only the top 1/3d or so bends during a cast for example) but the tip is lighter than corresponding SR series, which for me, allows me to cast smaller baits with a 'snap cast' much easier.

Not sure of the weight but the TSR791 is a very light rod and balances perfectly with my Sustain 1000 FE.

I have not tried to cast 1/32 oz jigs but do cast a size 0 mepps black fury spinner and it casts very well and that is a pretty light spinner.

I was very happy with my decision. I think you will love the TSR series, no matter what model.

here is an action shot of me with a smallie on the line that sort of shows the way the rod bends with a fish on:
Attachments
TSRrod.jpg
the TSR791 with Sustain 1000FE in action!
TSRrod.jpg (33.31 KiB) Viewed 2511 times