The Best ultra-light Rod?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
zmanlane
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

The Best ultra-light Rod?

Post by zmanlane » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:35 pm

What is the ultralight rod for bass fishing.

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The Best ultra-light Rod?

Post by Ranger 619VS » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:13 am

Spinning or casting?

I use a few for different baits and applications. My favorite Ul rods period are my G. Loomis TSR801-2 and TSR802-2 trout series rods. But prior to them my favorite were a IMX SR782-1 and a GL3 SR782-2. Both have landed me plenty of bass,pickerel, sea trout and walleye. Not typical ul targets but always welcome by-catch. Let me know more info on your baits you want to throw, line and reel size and I can tell you what has worked for me. In bc I have a custom wrapped G. Loomis SR782IMX blank matched to a Daiwa presso spooled with 6lb line. Awesome UL bc combo.

Ranger 619VS

zmanlane
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zmanlane » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:15 pm

It will be baitcasting, And i want it to throw light baits like 1/16 OZ or any less if thats possible. And the reels I would pair it up.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:11 am

It is easy to cast 1/16 ounce or lighter baits on a baitcasting rod. You may want to look at a custom rod, slightly lighter and slightly longer than factory versions.

Loomis and St Croix make rod blanks that are light and long enough, they will most likely be in the spinning section. 6.5 to 7 feet is minimum. The Presso, Pixy or Aldebaran are good reel choices. 4 pound test monos rather than braid or fluorocarbon lines will work best.

Casting light baits is a balance of rod, line and reel spool weight. You best have a good thumb to go with them. Good luck.

Doc UL
Angler
Angler

Post by Doc UL » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:26 pm

I never ran into any problems with St. Croix (Avid and Legend Elite) and Fenwick (HMG and HMX) ultralight rods but my experience is not very broad so I cannot compare them to some other well respected rods such as G. Loomis. I can tell you that I've never ran into any problems. I use their lightest ultralight rods with 4# line for both bass and pike. I am amazed at the fish these ultralight rods can handle. However, my comments are for spinning rods not baitcasting.

zmanlane
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zmanlane » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:29 pm

is any of the dobynis champion rods good for finesse?

zmanlane
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zmanlane » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:29 pm

meant to say dobyns.

Fastfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fastfish » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:47 am

Well in years gone by for me it was G Loomis trout rods I used a IMX SR782-1 for almost all my lite-line fishing and used IMX SR781-1 for the lightest lures and line down to 3lb but in lets say the past 7yrs I've been fishing the DSR series of rods and basically use them for nearly everything now if you want a baitcaster you gotta give this one a try the DSR820C is rated for 4-8lb line its super sensitive throws lite lures decently if you have reel capable of throwing 1/8oz or less this rod will help get it done, my DSR820S is the workhorse it gets used more than than others.

Those SR rods are still being used but by my wife she has 2 SR782-1's with Shimano reels on them there is also a SR782-1 IMX custom that was wrapped by Rich Forhan for me a # of years ago done with a split grip this rod is still one of the best in our collection we pretty much only fish lite-line as 4lb line is the norm 3 is the lightest with 8 being the absolute heaviest and 6 being used kinda regularly for some of the more snag proned lures.

But definitely try the DSR820C its a Light Action Rod that has a incredile tip and backbone.

Fastfish