Fishing virgin water with special regulations

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Fishing virgin water with special regulations

Post by Tomhdez » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:46 pm

Like the title states I'm taking a 5 mile hike in the eastern sierras to Marlette lake. Not many people want to walkthat far for fish and it's said that most fish here have not seen the end of a line. It is a single barbless hook artificial lure only body of water so what lures would you recommend? I will be traveling with either a spool of 2lb nanofil or 4 lb fluorocarbon. I will only pack a 7' light rod so what lures do you guys suggest!?

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fishing virgin water with special regulations

Post by Katron » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Megabass x-55 or x-70, can't go wrong with these in any water. Also, the timeless Rapala F7.

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:10 am

Tomhdez wrote:...It is a single barbless hook artificial lure only body of water
That eliminates crankbaits with treble hooks. I'd try inline spinners with single hooks replacing the treble hooks. Small spoons and jigs with twister tails would also be good choices.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:07 am

Scott F wrote:
Tomhdez wrote:...It is a single barbless hook artificial lure only body of water
That eliminates crankbaits with treble hooks. I'd try inline spinners with single hooks replacing the treble hooks. Small spoons and jigs with twister tails would also be good choices.
Megabass X-30 with a Gamakatsu #10 single hook.

Gamakatsu Single Hook 53
Trout Plug-Fishing
For Area Fishing

They come in a range of sizes.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:29 pm

The megabass x-55 and x-70 can be had with barbless singles, they stick fish very very well. The frost blue is an amazing color for clear water.

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Katron wrote:The megabass x-55 and x-70 can be had with barbless singles, they stick fish very very well. The frost blue is an amazing color for clear water.

Kaleb
But they'll have two singles. He can only have baits with one. I guess you can fish a X-55 with only the back single. But I'm not sure how that'll effect it's balance.

Garfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Garfisher » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:23 am

I would go with a pack of trout worms (company wouldn't really matter I would think) and some 1/32oz jigheads, shouldn't be a problem with those unless you are fishing some real small streams.

NCbigbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NCbigbass » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:29 am

Panther Martins with the treble cut off, and a small split ring and single hook added. I like to tie wooly bugger streamers and use those behind the Panther Martin blade.

Doc UL
Angler
Angler

Post by Doc UL » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:24 pm

Panther Martin makes single hook lures, just crimp the barb. Try their standard black body with gold spinner. Also consider various Mepps which also come with single hooks, including Aglia and Thunder Bugs. Check out their websites.

Almost forgot to mention Yo-Zuri Snap Beans and Rapala CD-1's if you want to use crankbaits. These are small and have only one hook but its a treble so need to either cut or switch out hooks.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Minijigs. 32nd, 64th
UL