Ultralight setup?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
bassfishin14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Ultralight setup?

Post by bassfishin14 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:58 am

I've been getting into a lot of ultralight fishing for trout in streams and rivers. Was wondering on what rods you'd guys recommend? I usually throw size 2 panther Martins, small kastmasters, small spoons, and other small baits.

Some rods that I'm looking at are the:

1. G loomis TSR series
2. St croix avid

Is there any other Rods you'd guys recommend? I'm gonna be pairing it up with either a shimano sahara or a semetre. Both in the 500 size.

Another question is what line are you guys using? I want something that ties knots well is pretty abrasion resistant. I prefer fluorocarbon.

Thanks guys!

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ultralight setup?

Post by Hulkster » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:18 am

I have the TSR791 (one peice) and LOVE it.

I use 4 pound berkely XL mono in the green colour and it balances perfectly with a 1000 size shimano (I use a sustain).

the avids you might find a little soft compared to the TSR series (a little more whippy)

some people prefer that action, I don't.

Loomis UL rods have always been true fast action UL rods, while most other companies are not, even though they lable them as such LOL

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ranger 619VS » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Bass,

I am also a fan on the G. Loomis ultra light range. I use a few different models. But my two favorites for stream fishing are a TSR740-2 6'2 ultra light matched with a Daiwa JDM Exist native custom 1003H spooled with Maxima Chameleon 4lb mono. I use this combo for spinners, spoons and ecogear mx48 minnows. My other stream rod is SR720-2 GL3 rod matched to a Daiwa JDM Presso 1003 spooled with 2lb Maxima Chameleon. This is my live bait rod. one or two bb split shot and a owner size 12 octopus hook. Both combos have caught many stream trout and quite a few panfish. I have learned to love Longer rods the last few years for regular UL fishing maninly from my boats. TSR801-2 and TSR802-2 ultra light and light action rods, also matched to Daiwa JDM Exist native custom 1003H. I spool these with 4lb Berkley Fireline crystal and a arms length leader of vanish flurocarbon.

Ranger 619VS/Brian

TroutStlkr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TroutStlkr » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm a fan of the Loomis TSR series as well. I have a TSR 690 GLX which is a 0 power and moderate-fast compared to the longer 1 power fast action rods. Paired with a CI4 Stradic, it balances perfectly and is super light and fun to fish with on small streams. An unbelieveable amount of feel and it packs a surprising amount of power for such a light rod. I also have a 5'8" Fenwick River Runner, which doesn't really compare to the GLX, but is still really a good little trout stick for the price. The action isn't quite as crisp but you get a high modulous blank wrapped with TiSic guides and a nice feeling grip for under $100 online.

As for the line, I've actually been using 4 lb PowerPro running line with about a 10 foot fluorocarbon leader. I've using 4lb Seaguar for that. I only use a leader that long because I hate tying uni knots to connect the PowerPro to the leader and I figure that allows me to change lures quite a few times and providing it doesn't break at the connection, gives me a few breakoffs before it gets too short. I'm not completely sold on braid for small trout stream applications yet, but it does handle well and the lack of stretch in the line really does allow you to feel everything. So far so good though. My main gripes are having to recolor the line after a few uses and like a mentioned earlier, I have fat fingers making the leader connection a bit of a pain. You also have to use a lower drag setting to account for the lack of shock absorotion due to the line not having any stretch.
Last edited by TroutStlkr on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Post by Tomhdez » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:57 pm

Im going to second the fenwick river runner in 5'8" its a killer rod for the price! I have an Abu Garcia c400ui mounted on it and it balances beautifully just fore of the reel foot. The reel carries about 100yds of 4 lb line. I was using 4# p-line flouroclear it has awesome knot strength and it casts well. It's a good value I think. I just recently spooled up with 2 lb NANOFIL this stuff casts amazing!!! The first time I took it out to a small pond I had to apologize the dudes fishing on the other side because I accidentally shot into their space. Mind you I was casting 1/64 trout magnets.

FK
Angler
Angler

Post by FK » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:08 am

I am a long time fan of St. Croix Avid however, I recently purchased the new Loomis TSR 790 and wow,, great light weight rod. I use the Shimano Stradic Cl4 ML with PP 3# braid.

I like the new rod so much my dealer is ordering for me a TSR 791 this afternoon.

Regards,
FK

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ranger 619VS » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:36 am

FK,

My regular fishing partner uses both the 790 and 791 matched to the new Daiwa JDM Certate 1003. He runs 4lb Berkley Fireline crystal and a arms length leader of 4lb Berkley Vanish. He loves them both for crappie, perch and bluegill fishing with soft plastic bodies rigged on jigs. He loves the 790 for trout with both bait and small spinners. I love my pair of TSR801-2 ultra lights, but I have had the TSR790 on my mind for quite some time. The moderate action makes every fish feel like a good one. Might have to trade a few rods in for one.

Ranger 619VS