SG Troutizimo?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Perch-aholic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

SG Troutizimo?

Post by Perch-aholic » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:33 am

Hey everyone, new member here on the forums, from Sweden :) I mostly UL-fish for perch on my local lake, where i rent a small row boat from the landowner. There has been perch caught up to 2.8lbs in this lake, but the average weight of the perch are 8-10oz. It's great fun to cast out a small jig or surface lure when the perch are schooling up and bashing baitfish on the surface! But enough about me :roll:

I'm on the look for a new UL-rod and i've seen Savage Gear has released a rod called 'Troutizimo'. It comes in two versions: One 6'3" 0-5g CW and one 7'1" 0-7g. Anyone bought or used these rods as of yet? Or any suggestions on UL-rods in this price range? :)

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: SG Troutizimo?

Post by Ranger 619VS » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:35 am

Welcome Perch aHolic ,

From a fellow ultra light fanatic! Please throw up some details of your European Perch fishing. I catch tons of their US cousins here every Spring and alot in the late fall early winter. Mostly on jigs and platic tails, but enough on small crankbaits and minnow baits to keep one tied on. I am a huge fan of the G Loomis trout series of ultra light rods.......Work great for crappie, bluegills, perch and of course trout! Not sure what the price range of the savage rods are though? What length rod do you prefer? What size reel will you be putting on it or do you currently use...

Ranger 619VS/Brian

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:01 am

Ranger 619VS wrote:Welcome Perch aHolic ,

From a fellow ultra light fanatic! Please throw up some details of your European Perch fishing. I catch tons of their US cousins here every Spring and alot in the late fall early winter. Mostly on jigs and platic tails, but enough on small crankbaits and minnow baits to keep one tied on. I am a huge fan of the G Loomis trout series of ultra light rods.......Work great for crappie, bluegills, perch and of course trout! Not sure what the price range of the savage rods are though? What length rod do you prefer? What size reel will you be putting on it or do you currently use...

Ranger 619VS/Brian
If you look for EU perch video, look for the savage gear soft 4play perch video on youtube. This is extreme though, in many places we have much smaller fish.
Regarding Savage Gear rods, they are good rods, but they do not have high-end line, so probably the top of the line G Loomis are better and of course more expensive.
I did not see the SG trout rod, but they claim it has parabolic action. I would not use it for jigs, I prefer faster action. For perch fishing I use the Berkley Pulse rod with Light power. I believe it is a great rod, and hopefully is in your price range.

Perch-aholic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Perch-aholic » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:53 am

Thanks for the replies, i'll have to check the local tackleshops soon and have a feel of the rod, if it's in stock that is :) G-Loomis rods seem great, but waaay out of my price range unfortunately :lol:

My perch fishing around here is very similar to others, i use small softbaits and jigs alot, "shad" jigs that resemble baitfish works aswell in the smaller sizes. Crankbaits are awesome too, when going from one fishing spot to another we just throw it out some yards, they usually give you the better fish when you are trolling - preferably higher speeds!