New reels

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

New reels

Post by Tomhdez » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Was surfing the the Abu Garcia mobile site and I found a bunch of new gear that will be announced at icast!
Among the new gear is a new 100$ line of reels under the orra name this was announced just last Monday and the Abu Facebook page. Yet to be announce are new sizes for the revo premier spinning, including a 10 size!! I'm really excited for both of these new reels as the are in the smaller sizes and seem to be packed with features!

Here's the link:
http://www.crutchco.com/m/abugarcia/index.htm

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New reels

Post by Thor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:18 am

The C400Ui caught my eye, small, light with lots of bearings. You cannot believe the bearings they use in spinning reels, even high end models. After ICAST, I may pick one up, do my typical upgrades and compare it to the Symetre 500FJ.

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Post by Tomhdez » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Whoa!! Let me know how that goes! I have a c400ui and I LOVE it! I would
Like to know what you do to yours and how it works out. It is a really light and smooth reel. But I think I would like something sturdier in aluminum to handle more abuse, the orras seem a bit heavy but i will try out the SX10 nonetheless.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Well, now that we are wishing, I want a Stella 500. A brief overview of what I do. Open the reel up and identify bearings other than the anti-reverse bearing. Usually 2 bearings support the main gear/shaft. These are replaced, others as I see fit. While the body is open, replace all grease with something better as well. Next, open line roller and look for bearings/bushings that can be replaced. Last, remove all drag components and replace with a custom drag stack. Not very hard but good bearings can cost almost as much as the reel. Does it make a difference? If it does on baitcasting reels, why not on spinning reels. To top it off, my reels are still going strong when others are on their second or third throwaway.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:16 am

Found a schematic of the C400Ui. Hopefully, this illustrates a 2011 version. This will be easy.

Drag washers to replace. A bushing/washer on the oscillating shaft underneath the spool that will become a ball bearing. Line roller is already supported by 2 ball bearings, so an upgrade will be simple. The main gear/shaft also is supported by 2 ball bearings, so out come the micrometers and an order for quality ball bearings. Some boron nitride grease and as close to a Stella 500 as you can get today.