Loomis TSR802

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
dkumanov
Angler
Angler

Loomis TSR802

Post by dkumanov » Fri May 20, 2011 11:32 am

Hi guys,

Can somebody gives some comparison between tsr802 and sr842glx (which I own) actionwise. How does the TSR feels, stiffer, softer or in some oder way different. Where I live I sadly can't go and see for myself how a gloomis rod feels, so any insight would be appreciated. One more question, does anybody know what exactly is loomis fiber blend. Is it GL3/IMX mix or just plain GL3 jugging by the price, which is comparable to an a SR GL3 rod.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Loomis TSR802

Post by MondayMonkey » Sat May 21, 2011 3:38 am

I can't give you a comparison of those 2 rods. But I was able to question a loomis engineer about the blend at the Pacific NW Sportsman's Expo back in February. According to him the blend is GL2/IMX/and GLX. I can tell you I have 3 TSR rods (TSR690S, TSR691S,TSR792S) and I love them they're my favorite rods. The 792s is the one piece version of the 802. Very sensitive great action I've pulled in several 7lb rainbows on it and it performs perfectly. Smaller trout are still fun on it as well. I've never a fished a TSR full GLX though unfortunately to make a good comparison.
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na Fishing!
Fishing... Fishing!

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sat May 21, 2011 3:49 pm

if it helps, I sold my IMX SR841-2 and got a new TSR791 and I much prefer the TSR rod.

the handle is much nicer, the guides are better and the rod casts better than the older SR tapers. especially with the really light stuff.

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ranger 619VS » Sun May 22, 2011 3:27 am

dkumanov,

Greetings my friend. Ul inBulgaria, AWESEOME! I have fished both rods extensively. I am a huge fan of the TSR series. I use the TSR802-2 for Trout, Bass, Walleye and panfish. It handles a wide range of lures and techniques. I throw smaller minnow baits for trout, spinners up to size 2. For bass it works great with wacky rigged 4" slim senkos and small 4" worms rigged on a 1/16oz shakey head jig. For panfish like crappie and perch I use 1/16oz to 1/8oz jigheads with plastic tails. I prefer the TSR801-2 for most of my ul fishing but I fish the 802 just as well. For bigger fish or baits it shines. When I owned the 842-2 GLX I liked it for jigs and fishing finesse type lures. I had one break cause the graphite is sorta brittle. I prefer the TSR rods to all my other Loomis UL / light rods. As far as the TSR 802-2 compared to other rods. I would say a SR782-1 IMX. Kinda similair to a SR782-2 GL3 which is a rod I use for similair fishing to the TSR802. I like the SR782-2 in GL3 alot also. Just my opinion though. I own almost all the rods in the range in both TSR and SR or have access to them so if you need any other things answered let me know. Also let us know what you target and how in Bulgaria.

Ranger 619VS

dkumanov
Angler
Angler

Post by dkumanov » Sun May 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Thank a lot for the info guys, sorry for the late response but my pc blew up.

Hi Ranger, I think, I tested a friend's 782-2 in GL3 and as I can remember it felt kinda mod-fast to me. Is this the case with the tsr802?I've been fishing for for some time now with the 842 but I want a shorter rod, tried Daiko GAllet 602UL, but it had too much power, now I have a Black Hole HI-Light 662L and this one feels better, yet not completely right.
I fish mostly for brown trout, the native species here, and also for chub and perch when is closed season for trout. I don't consider my self true UL angler, but still close enough :D. I enjoy the most fishing with minnow in the 40-60mm range, like Jackall Tiny fry and Flat fly. Twitching them is a lot of fun. I throw also spinners and spoons. I very rarely fish with jigs, cause for some reason I don't like it, although it can be very effective.

Here are couple of pics

and some of the favorite lures

Dimitar