Magazine subscription

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Magazine subscription

Post by Tomhdez » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:14 pm

I'm curious as to what fishing or outdoor magazine you guys subscribe to. My 1yr to NAFC has expired and I'm looking for something to fill that void. I mostly trout fish on spinning gear and have never cast a fly. So let me know what you guys read.

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Magazine subscription

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:09 am

I got sick of getting 19238123938 million notices and mailings from NAFC and told them to keep my money and never send me anything again.

That being said my two favorites:

Field and Stream
In-Fisherman

Used to have Bassmaster, but I enjoy chasing some other species just as much. In-Fisherman will cover all species at some point throughout the year. Great panfish articles, walleye articles, bass articles, and trout.

Field and Stream is awesome if you're also a hunter. Cover's everything from upland hunting to flippin bushes in florida. Some good articles to be had.

TroutStlkr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TroutStlkr » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:29 pm

As someone that mainly pursues trout and steelhead with spinning tackle, I'm actually quite dissappointed in the magazines out there. I actually recently decided not to renew my In-Fisherman. I like their technical approach, but dispite the claim that they cover all species all across North America, in the past year there was only one article about cold water species and that was on pier fishing for salmon. I currently only subscribe to Salmon, Trout and Steelheader, but even that might as well be called Salmon and Steelheader as resident trout get maybe get 10 percent of the coverage as the focus is almost exclusively on the anadromous species. It dissappoints me that if I want to read a publication about stream trout, I have to pick up a fly fishing magazine. I don't subscribe, but will pick up the occassional Field and Stream because they don't totally ignore spin fishing skinny water as an option for trout.

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Post by Tomhdez » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:34 am

teamdaiwa5 wrote:I got sick of getting 19238123938 million notices and mailings from NAFC and told them to keep my money and never send me anything again.
I hear ya! But i bet you still have a tackle box full of "member benefit HOOKS" i know i do at least. I did purchase one book from them on trout fishing its a gorgeous book and packed with pertinent info.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been picking up Field & Stream for the last 2 months for the fishing stuff. They have a pretty good deal going on now 20$ for three years, I signed up. Yes i think Skinny water trout fishing that is not fly fishing is under served.

Now having said that I really wish the guys would have taken to the Sierras to try out the Iron Feather they just reviewed!!!
Thanks Again

Alpine Angler
Angler
Angler

Post by Alpine Angler » Mon May 09, 2011 5:35 am

Only thing I even look at these days is Amato's Salmon Trout Steelheader and Hoglund's Salmon and Steelhead Journal.

Alpine Angler
Angler
Angler

Post by Alpine Angler » Mon May 09, 2011 5:38 am

TroutStlkr wrote:As someone that mainly pursues trout and steelhead with spinning tackle, I'm actually quite dissappointed in the magazines out there. I actually recently decided not to renew my In-Fisherman. I like their technical approach, but dispite the claim that they cover all species all across North America, in the past year there was only one article about cold water species and that was on pier fishing for salmon. I currently only subscribe to Salmon, Trout and Steelheader, but even that might as well be called Salmon and Steelheader as resident trout get maybe get 10 percent of the coverage as the focus is almost exclusively on the anadromous species. It dissappoints me that if I want to read a publication about stream trout, I have to pick up a fly fishing magazine. I don't subscribe, but will pick up the occassional Field and Stream because they don't totally ignore spin fishing skinny water as an option for trout.
don't bother with those rags--go with the ones I mentioned in the thread. Best magazines I have ever read, of any genre, period!

TroutStlkr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TroutStlkr » Mon May 09, 2011 2:49 pm

As I mentioned, I do subscribe to Salmon, Trout and Steelheader, though articles about chasing resident trout are sparse. The focus seems to be overwhelmingly west coast and the larger anadromous salmonids. Still, that is just about the only fishing publication that does at least cover stream trout and not treat them only as a target for fly rodders. From what I've seen Salmon and Steelhead journal, again as the title suggests, covers all Salmon and Steelhead and again predominatly Pacific Northwestnand doesn't offer much for the ultra-light trout enthusiast. I have seen posted on NFC's website some rod reviews and they do seem to do a better job than most magazines on breaking down strengths and weaknesses of each rod and not going easy on manufacturers due to advertising froom said manufacturer. If I was mainly a Salmon and Steelhead guy I would definitely have a subscription to that, just like if I was primarily a warm water species fisherman, In-Fisherman would be a no brainer because they do a very good job of experimenting with new lures and presentation and sharing the results.

Alpine Angler
Angler
Angler

Post by Alpine Angler » Mon May 09, 2011 6:51 pm

TroutStlkr wrote:As I mentioned, I do subscribe to Salmon, Trout and Steelheader, though articles about chasing resident trout are sparse.
Somehow I missed that, I fish the mtns so am in the same boat. Ultralight is funny world, like Tenakara, few folks do it. Most will go with fly rods for stream trout as they are considered too small for anything else. I always found that silly, and I think fly fishing is best reserved for retired folks who have the time. There are some good crossover skills from STS for landlocked fish. I suppose I am lucky as can be fishing at 5000+ in the mtns feet or 10 miles off the coast (or anywhere in between) at will, but admittedly this is an uncommon experience. This month's issue of STS was good, but I agree, there's really nothing out there for UL trout guys.

In this respect we should consider ourselves lucky. There's nothing I like more than daybreak on a cool alpine river or stream ALONE. Hell, I hope no one ever makes a magazine about what we do.