Temple Fork (??) UUUL - From Before the Crash

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Feedingseagulls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Temple Fork (??) UUUL - From Before the Crash

Post by Feedingseagulls » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:26 am

I'm trying to find out details of a rod that was mentioned here before the disaster struck.

There was a thread about a trend in Ultra-Ultralight fishing involving rods made on fly blanks, very small fixed spool reels with bails removed, and tricky speciality casts.

Anyone remember this?

I also seem to remember that there was a commercially made variant of the rod - and I had TFO in my head as the producer/retailer - can anyone give me the details? I'd like to get one sent over in my next shipment to the UK.

Thanks, Kev.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Temple Fork (??) UUUL - From Before the Crash

Post by uljersey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Google this phrase - "piscatorial absurdities"......That will start you down the path you seek.

NCbigbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NCbigbass » Tue May 17, 2011 10:23 am

I recently read this book "piscatorial absurdities", and have posted the rod that it inspired me to build in the "Custom rods" section of this forum.

rickman1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rickman1 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:49 pm

The rod referred to in those posts was from Temple Fork Outfitters, model TFG, FWSF 601-2.

The technique was from the book "Piscatorial Absurdities" by Joe Robinson. You can contact Sportsman's Finest in Austin, Texas to see if they have any copies left. Pretty good read by the way.

I've used mine several times and though I need to practice more with it, I've had a blast using it so far. Just need to get some of the casting techniques down better to toss those super ultralight lures.

Finessista
Angler
Angler

Post by Finessista » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Just curious if this TFO spinfly rod acts equals as rod in the video? is tip relaxation fast?

rickman1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rickman1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:57 pm

The TFO rod is not as 'limber' as the one used in the video.

I can fling 1/16 and 1/8oz jigs half-way decent (I need more practice).

There's another forum dedicated to Ultra-Ultralight fishing (Threadlining.com) with a section dedicated specifically to this technique.

There is a member there who built his own UUL rod using a TFO 1wt fly rod. It's a 4-pc rod and he only used the the top 3 sections. This might be the ticket but you would have to build it yourself. I'm thinking about it myself.

By the way my screen name now is rickman1 before the crash it was OTS.

Finessista
Angler
Angler

Post by Finessista » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks a lot, rickman1. Thought there's easy way, but maybe it will be more fun to build rod myself.

Finessista
Angler
Angler

Post by Finessista » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:15 am

@Jean Scurtu
rod build by me on fly blank 9"w5+extension when i was fighting with one paddle fish(foult hooked on 1/32oz.=0,88g.,
Nice rod :D Curious what distance you're able to cast that lure?

Best wishes and HAPPY EASTER!!!