Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner 7'6 Review

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner 7'6 Review

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Smead wrote:Thanks!!

Might be perfect for me...my 6'6" UL and L Avids are both equipped with #2 handles with about the same length...everything else I've handled in 7' and longer...non St C since I need a 2 pc fast action and the Avid 2pc 7' version is moderate action UL, they don't make anything longer in L...has come with huge, overly long handles for UL/L.

Still, I bought them and should give them a try first....spent way too much on reels lately, but just couldn't pass up the deals offered since BF.

Then again, Amazon is carrying the 7'6" once more, sold via Red's Gear with free shipping for $86.99. :o

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046ZCWGK/ref ... nkCode=asn
That is a ridiculously good deal....especially for such a quality rod with a lifetime warranty. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:49 pm

A warning about ordering from Red's on Amazon:

I ordered an Elite Tech rod from Red's that way. It arrived broken, no surprise considering that it was sent in a flimsy cardboard box that was designed to be square but was taped in a flattened diamond shape before shipping. Darndest thing I ever saw. Of course, two guides were bent, too.

So I sent it back and requested another to be sent in a sturdier container. The second one arrived in another flimsy long box, but at least this one hadn't been flattened. The guides were not in line with the reel seat and the first guide from the tip was not in line with the others; these were manufacturing defects and not side effects of shipping.

There may be several reasons why this dealer's prices are so low.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Bronzeye wrote:A warning about ordering from Red's on Amazon:

I ordered an Elite Tech rod from Red's that way. It arrived broken, no surprise considering that it was sent in a flimsy cardboard box that was designed to be square but was taped in a flattened diamond shape before shipping. Darndest thing I ever saw. Of course, two guides were bent, too.

So I sent it back and requested another to be sent in a sturdier container. The second one arrived in another flimsy long box, but at least this one hadn't been flattened. The guides were not in line with the reel seat and the first guide from the tip was not in line with the others; these were manufacturing defects and not side effects of shipping.

That is Fenwick's packaging. I ordered mine through BPS last year right after Christmas and mine came in the exact same package. Same for a guy on another forum, we had a discussion about the packaging back then. The issue is with Fenwick, not the sellers.

Hopefully this gets resolved.

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:04 pm

Bronzeye wrote:A warning about ordering from Red's on Amazon:

Might be on to something there...the first one I got was in a thin cardboard diamond shaped box but showed no signs of damage. Pulled it out of the package and the blank was snapped in half. Amazon sent a new one immediately at least. I was excited to use it and had my girlfriend drop it off to me at the river. I'm sure you can know how mad I was when I pulled it out of the box.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:07 pm

Strange that fenwick packages their own product so poorly...worse that quality issues of that nature would get though.

I have only ordered a reel so far through RG...it arrived alright.

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:30 pm

Smead wrote:Strange that fenwick packages their own product so poorly...worse that quality issues of that nature would get though.

I have only ordered a reel so far through RG...it arrived alright.
It's not that it was "poorly" packed in my case, but it wasn't in a card cardboard tube like you'd get from Shimano. That being said, if shipping companies werent so damn harsh with packages we wouldn't have to worry about packages being damaged. I've had very bad luck with almost all shipping companies. I've witnessed boxes with "fragile" on the side being literally thrown onto a counter 8+ feet away in the UPS store WHILE I was there sending something out!

USPS package my girlfriend got had TIRE marks on half the envelope. Luckily it was just a small book and wasn't damaged...but TIRE marks? Come on now...

If Fenwick makes a longer version of this for Steelhead or Salmon I'll be jumping on it. For the price you really can't go wrong.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:18 pm

USPS package my girlfriend got had TIRE marks on half the envelope. Luckily it was just a small book and wasn't damaged...but TIRE marks? Come on now...
You can just visualize Nueman, Kramer and George involved somehow. :-k

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am

Matt wrote: I was excited to use it and had my girlfriend drop it off to me at the river.
I need a woman like that.

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:34 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Matt wrote: I was excited to use it and had my girlfriend drop it off to me at the river.
I need a woman like that.
Needle in a haystack :lol:

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:11 am

Having rods shipped during the holiday season is a disaster waiting to happen. The shipping companies are running at 125% and everyone that works for them is under the gun to move packages as quickly as possible. It doesn't make it right or excuse it, but that's the reality of it.

But Fenwick should have made a better effort on that package, no doubt about it :?

On the other extreme, If you've ever bought a rod from Tackle Warehouse and spent twenty minutes getting it out of that tube and unwrapping it, you know some people know how to ship a rod :mrgreen: