Major Craft Finetail SUL

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
sydaar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Major Craft Finetail SUL

Post by sydaar » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:05 am

Was hoping someone could help. I'm looking for a SUL rod for trout/panfish and see that the 6'3" version of the MC Finetail seems well regarded here. They also have a 6' version with similar specs. If anyone knows the differences between the 2 versions any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Major Craft Finetail SUL

Post by ftl1951 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:24 am

sydaar wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:05 am
Was hoping someone could help. I'm looking for a SUL rod for trout/panfish and see that the 6'3" version of the MC Finetail seems well regarded here. They also have a 6' version with similar specs. If anyone knows the differences between the 2 versions any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I think the best way to describe the difference is in the way the rods are designed and that is the 6’ is really more precise in somewhat limited in lure presentations. It is rated differently than the 6’3” and the larger model is supposed to be a bit more versatile.

I have the new Finetail 6’3” in UL and find it an amazing rod. I have the 6’ SUL and it is indeed much more refined (maybe not the right word) as it is not as forgiving if you go outside the recommended weights listed on the blank. I would suspect the 6’3” SUL will give you more choices for lure weights and if true to description, allow for larger fish to be handled should they come along. They are beautiful rods. (These are not the original versions that have a greenish color blank) I understand the original Finetails are not as nice as the newer versions. I have never held an original.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:55 am

You will not go wrong with either model you choose. For the money it is hard to beat.

Regards

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:35 am

I had both finetail bfs models fax-b642ul and fax-b582ul. Great rods for the price. I liked the shorter rod as it was less whippy but still cast very similar distance and had the same moderate action. The butt grip is very short on both models as it was made for one hand casting, not sure if same on the spinning model. An amazing rod for the price that I feel was on par with finetail for 1/4 the price is the Kuying Teton.

I modified the 64 to triggerless reel seat and gave it away to a friend.