Kuying Freestyle Walker UL

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight fishing success here!
Siggywiggy
Angler
Angler

Kuying Freestyle Walker UL

Post by Siggywiggy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:28 am

I already own the Kuying Teton TTS602 and looking at Kuying website they have a new 4 piece travel rod called FreeStyle Walker UL.
Ive have scoured the internet and I cant find any info on the action and construction (tubular or solid tip). Im thinking it might be a great option for hiking to secluded and very overgrown trout streams where even walking is troublesome.
Anyone maybe already own one and can comment?

Siggywiggy
Angler
Angler

Re: Kuying Freestyle Walker UL

Post by Siggywiggy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:34 am

Well it seems I found a video where the parabolic bend can be determined and the tip seems to be medium-fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3W7KuKR6I8

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:01 am

The bend looks very “Tetonish”. Plus glad to see Kuying has a YouTube channel. Good find.

Siggywiggy
Angler
Angler

Post by Siggywiggy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:52 am

I decided to order one, hopefully the guides and the tip will be straight this time. The Teton has a noticeably bent tip and misaligned guides which are pretty much just cosmetic but aggravating as all hell. Will report in when and if I recieve it.

kaiser
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by kaiser » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:45 pm

I hear a lot of good things about the free style walker line in various groups.
Big fan of kuying and tsurinoya in general, I haven't really gotten anything that I found unusable.

Siggywiggy
Angler
Angler

Post by Siggywiggy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:37 am

I actually got mine. Quick summary:

a) packs down to impressively small size, the included bag feels very high quality but Id still use a hard carrying tube when trekking
b) quality is excellent - the finish was impeccable on mine and everything was STRAIGHT
c) The tip is very fast, too fast for my personal preference, your preference might be different
e) gram test when casting is accurate even on the low end
d) enough backbone to handle angry 1.5kg trout, it bends trough nicely towards the handle with a large fish and even with braid+fuoro leader/bumper it can handle the surges keeping the hook in
e) it feels heavy to me personally in the hand but Im used to super ultralight rods

For the money its stupid good value, Im keeping it as a backup/travel rod. You can absolutely pack it down to carryon bag and it can fish any style or method adequately.