Ester or PE Braid?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ester or PE Braid?

Post by Allsorts » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 pm

FWIW for UL/L applications (and I haven't yet tried Ester but plan to):

1. For jigs, grubs and SPs generally off some sort of floating craft, 3lb and under FC handles very well indeed and provides very good sensitivity.
2. In moving small water (wading) or still water (floating craft) with not too many snags, I prefer mono for good handling and a bit of stretch for spoons, plugs and spinners, .
3. If I need distance, braid is preferred for obvious reasons.
4. If I'm shore-based or wading a bigger snaggy river, I've usually got only one rod and it will have braid on it. Braid does most things well but is at it's best when you need distance and extra line or breaking strength for occasional big fish. By changing the leader, you can tweak presentation - for example 12' of FC backed by braid fishes almost like full FC.
5. If I'm afloat and got multiple UL rigs set up, I'll have a spinner on braid for covering lots of water, a top water / hardbait rod with mono and a jig/grub rod with FC.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:58 am

There's also Sniper BiteMarkerSystem. It's really visible because it's a pattern of different colors, but has a low-vis section to tie onto.
This is the way.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:22 am

poisonokie wrote:There's also Sniper BiteMarkerSystem. It's really visible because it's a pattern of different colors, but has a low-vis section to tie onto.
Poisonokie, thank you for that. I had gotten a spool of the BMS line years ago but had forgotten that it is available in lighter line weights.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:34 am

:-c
CM_Stewart wrote:
poisonokie wrote:There's also Sniper BiteMarkerSystem. It's really visible because it's a pattern of different colors, but has a low-vis section to tie onto.
Poisonokie, thank you for that. I had gotten a spool of the BMS line years ago but had forgotten that it is available in lighter line weights.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:58 am

I really enjoy the Sunline BMS in 10lb for shaky heads/semi finesse, and the 14lb Green Invisible Sunline for general purpose. Still cannot decide what to go with for my first BFS setups here though.

Narrowed down to either 8lb Sufix or 4.5lb Sunline BMS/Invisible. Not sure that fluorocarbon adds much weight with that low of a line capacity, but also still scared of a connection knot damaging the rod (or fluorocarbon's tension warping the spool).

Wpeart7
Angler
Angler

Post by Wpeart7 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:01 pm

6lb 10oz bass landed on 0.5/2.3lb test Varivas ester with 2lb fluorocarbon leader. 5 turn surgeons knot connecting leader to mainline. Stuff is great! Shimano Share BB Ajing did a great job.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:49 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I really enjoy the Sunline BMS in 10lb for shaky heads/semi finesse, and the 14lb Green Invisible Sunline for general purpose. Still cannot decide what to go with for my first BFS setups here though.

Narrowed down to either 8lb Sufix or 4.5lb Sunline BMS/Invisible. Not sure that fluorocarbon adds much weight with that low of a line capacity, but also still scared of a connection knot damaging the rod (or fluorocarbon's tension warping the spool).
I have use my fair share of different BFS reels. I have never damaged a spool from FC or braid. Not saying it couldnt happen but, you use the BFS reel like a BFS reel should be and not like a flipping reel, you will be fine.

Braid is a little easier for preventing/picking beacklashes. If your rod will have some give, using a 4lb or so braid with a 4lb or so FC leader will be fine. The knot is so small. You would have to have some tiny guides for it to make a difference.

The way I look at it, you wont know what you like until you try it. You could buy the FC and if you dont like it, buy braid and use the FC as a leader.

Best part about this quiz is that there is no wrong answer and if there is, you got an eraser O:)! Besides, after you use a BFS setup, you will get more.

Who here only has 1 BFS setup???
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I really enjoy the Sunline BMS in 10lb for shaky heads/semi finesse, and the 14lb Green Invisible Sunline for general purpose. Still cannot decide what to go with for my first BFS setups here though.

I have use my fair share of different BFS reels. I have never damaged a spool from FC or braid. Not saying it couldnt happen but, you use the BFS reel like a BFS reel should be and not like a flipping reel, you will be fine.

Braid is a little easier for preventing/picking beacklashes. If your rod will have some give, using a 4lb or so braid with a 4lb or so FC leader will be fine. The knot is so small. You would have to have some tiny guides for it to make a difference.

The way I look at it, you wont know what you like until you try it. You could buy the FC and if you dont like it, buy braid and use the FC as a leader.

Best part about this quiz is that there is no wrong answer and if there is, you got an eraser O:)! Besides, after you use a BFS setup, you will get more.

Just ordered my first BFS setup hopefully and will be putting Varivas Super Trout Advanced ‘Bait Finesse’ PE 0.4 (7.4lb) line on it. Dedicated trout setup and if it is anything like everyone talks about my spinning setups might get thinned down fast.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Craigthor wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Just ordered my first BFS setup hopefully and will be putting Varivas Super Trout Advanced ‘Bait Finesse’ PE 0.4 (7.4lb) line on it. Dedicated trout setup and if it is anything like everyone talks about my spinning setups might get thinned down fast.
Welcome =D>

I havent used a spinning reel in like 4 years

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:51 pm

The question I have, can BFS realistically cast 1/32.....1/64.....or even 1/16?

Regards

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Alphahawk wrote:The question I have, can BFS realistically cast 1/32.....1/64.....or even 1/16?

Regards
I’ll find out the rod I’m trying to source is a trout taper rated down to 1.5g, I’ll be using a similar PE to my spinning setup for the fine line casting.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Wpeart7 wrote:Image

6lb 10oz bass landed on 0.5/2.3lb test Varivas ester with 2lb fluorocarbon leader. 5 turn surgeons knot connecting leader to mainline. Stuff is great! Shimano Share BB Ajing did a great job.
Congrats on the catch....I love the ester line. I realize it is not for every fishing situation but I sure like using it.

Regards

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:19 pm

Alphahawk wrote:The question I have, can BFS realistically cast 1/32.....1/64.....or even 1/16?

Regards

1/64oz possible but, not in a realistic sense.

1/32oz, doable

1/16oz, all day

BFS really shines with stream fishing and other fast casting, accuracy matters situations. BFS also allows you to fish with 7lb or so FC with less problems thab a spinning setup.

The fun factor, cant really put a pro/con on it.

I prefer BFS for the fun factor and for the efficiency in tight brushy stream situations.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:49 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I agree. I already am considering a BFS reel and another BFS style rod (Major Craft if ever in stock again) instead of a Medium or Medium Heavy general purpose rod. I just enjoy being able to catch so many different fish and so many fish in general with lighter lures. Thanks for the information again though. Going to go with the 8lb Sufix and add a leader I already have. I plan on ordering some more from Digitaka coming up so I will add some Sniper BMS 4.5lb to the cart too.

Popfly
Angler
Angler

Post by Popfly » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:19 pm

I can't speak about Ester as I have not tried it yet, but a spool is on the way. Following up on what Allsorts stated in an earlier post I am usually wading snaggy creeks for Smallmouth or an open reservoir for Hybrids & braid with the appropriate leader gives me the most versatility. The JDM braids below PE .8 are so thin I can't really see them to tie knots without cheaters. The only domestic lines that come close are Fireline Crystal in 2lb (Actually breaks about 5-6lbs) & Nanofil which seems to be more of a ribbon than round & just did not like it.

Respectfully,

Popfly