Titan 10.5 vs Hobie PA12

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Titan 10.5 vs Hobie PA12

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi all,

with the tax return money I am planning to buy my first fishing kayak. I have test driven the PA 12 and the Outback so far and I am leaning more towards the PA12 since it was far more stable for me (the Outback also felt a bit cheap, it felt like it was bending when I paddled it hard, also in the end it is 'just' 20 pounds heavier than the PA12). I would like to test drive the Titan 10.5 but I am not sure if there is a dealer in my area (Marin County, CA) where this would be possible.

I am 6'3. 210 pounds and I love to sight fish. I would be using the kayak 60% on lakes and 40% inshore. I need to carry the kayak on my Honda Civic (Thule 480 R roof rack + going to buy something like a Rhino Rack T-Load Hitch Mount). I have to store the kayak outside.

Per outing I would like to carry a minimum of 6 rods with me and a couple of tackle boxes. Standing is important to me since I want to be able to pitch and flip.

Anybody that had to make the same decision between these options. What are the cons and pros in your opinion?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Seb.

HIfisher
Angler
Angler

Re: Titan 10.5 vs Hobie PA12

Post by HIfisher » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Get the PA12 you won't regret it. Yes you might have to bend down to engage the 180s reverse but it's really smooth and so intuitive it later just becomes natural. I'm 5'7 and a broad 215 and this kayak is a bass fishing machine. Standing is no problem, horizontal rod storage for four rods enables surf entries and re-entry to be a breeze with insurance knowing that if you may flip you won't break rods when in the salt. So many positives to go on and on about. Negatives? Price and weight. You pay to play with a hobie PA but if you still young and strong there's no better time to get that kayak.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 am

Both are great kayaks. Great to know that you can't make a bad decision here.

Just to give a nod in the other direction, I'd buy the Titan 10.5 over the PA 12. First, it is almost $1000 cheaper leaving you room to add a few really important after-market add-ons. The most important in my opinion would be the Boonedox Landing Gear so you can effortlessly roll on and off the water. But, a PA 12 can have this mounted, too, so this isn't an advantage to one over the other.

What is a big advantage to the Titan is its version of reverse. Yes, Hobie finally conceded its importance by adding a version of reverse . . . but it is limited. Here's why. When one is fishing along and working water, or holding water without wanting to drop an anchor, the action we use on the Native pedals looks very similar to a person on a unicycle where they use short back and forth pedal motions to stay upright. If you test drive one, you'll know immediately what I mean. From a PA 12, it simply cannot be done. It'd be analogous to making 10 feet forward and back motions in a car shifting from drive to reverse, back and forth. Clunky, time consuming.

And, if you are up on your feet, most of us Native guys literally bend over and use our hands to give the pedals a back spin or two and it is amazing how that little effort re-positions these kayaks. Several videos show this, guys in Natives in rivers fishing just out of the current in quieter pools but with active water . . . holding position with reverse while standing. This is harder to do in a Hobie PA 12 while standing.

One final note: Go watch Greg Blanchard on YouTube (his great CA source for Native's there, too) and see how tight a Native Titan 10.5 turns. PA 12s and 14s are noted for tight turning, no doubt, but I think the 10.5 is even tighter. It looks like it has bow and stern thrusters on it . . . that it turns almost within its own length. This is a big deal, turning, that is. If you are fishing along in most kayaks, catch a nice fish, by the time you land it, you might have floated off and don't get a chance to work that area over really well for other fish. In a Titan, you can turn around so effortlessly, it'll be no issue to just swing around and go over the area repeatedly.

Just a guess that since the Native has that big broad stern end, wider over more of its length (10'9") than the PA 12, about the same width, that it will be slightly more stable standing.

Brad

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:24 am

Brad in Texas wrote:Both are great kayaks. Great to know that you can't make a bad decision here.

Just to give a nod in the other direction, I'd buy the Titan 10.5 over the PA 12. First, it is almost $1000 cheaper leaving you room to add a few really important after-market add-ons. The most important in my opinion would be the Boonedox Landing Gear so you can effortlessly roll on and off the water. But, a PA 12 can have this mounted, too, so this isn't an advantage to one over the other.

What is a big advantage to the Titan is its version of reverse. Yes, Hobie finally conceded its importance by adding a version of reverse . . . but it is limited. Here's why. When one is fishing along and working water, or holding water without wanting to drop an anchor, the action we use on the Native pedals looks very similar to a person on a unicycle where they use short back and forth pedal motions to stay upright. If you test drive one, you'll know immediately what I mean. From a PA 12, it simply cannot be done. It'd be analogous to making 10 feet forward and back motions in a car shifting from drive to reverse, back and forth. Clunky, time consuming.

And, if you are up on your feet, most of us Native guys literally bend over and use our hands to give the pedals a back spin or two and it is amazing how that little effort re-positions these kayaks. Several videos show this, guys in Natives in rivers fishing just out of the current in quieter pools but with active water . . . holding position with reverse while standing. This is harder to do in a Hobie PA 12 while standing.

One final note: Go watch Greg Blanchard on YouTube (his great CA source for Native's there, too) and see how tight a Native Titan 10.5 turns. PA 12s and 14s are noted for tight turning, no doubt, but I think the 10.5 is even tighter. It looks like it has bow and stern thrusters on it . . . that it turns almost within its own length. This is a big deal, turning, that is. If you are fishing along in most kayaks, catch a nice fish, by the time you land it, you might have floated off and don't get a chance to work that area over really well for other fish. In a Titan, you can turn around so effortlessly, it'll be no issue to just swing around and go over the area repeatedly.

Just a guess that since the Native has that big broad stern end, wider over more of its length (10'9") than the PA 12, about the same width, that it will be slightly more stable standing.

Brad
Thank you Brad. Really appreciate you taking the time to write your thoughts in full breath! The reverse is really the part that keeps me away from buying the Hobie (everything else is in favor for the Hobie in my opinion). Yes, it is 1000 USD more but I rather spend a bit more money to be fully happy and have a quality product in the long term (I heard some negative things about the Native).
Yep, I am not too far from the Cali Delta (SF) and of course I am watching most of G. Blanchard's videos (he does a good job with his posts!).

I will need to find a place where I can test drive the Native (with the Hobie side by side) to give me a better opinion.

Thanks again!

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Like I mentioned, you really can't go wrong here.

Yes, you need to get in each of them. You'll be able to determine which one feels the best, speed, stability and more. These things vary from person to person.

Two great kayaks from, arguably, two of the top 5 brands in the industry.

Brad

HIfisher
Angler
Angler

Post by HIfisher » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:03 am

Also think about the area you primarily fish at and your normal conditions. I fish WA's calm lakes and harsh cold ocean with ripping currents so hobies are known for their seaworthiness and thrust that the drives put out. Im also a subscriber to greg blanchard and in those videos he does share the negatives of the kayak like its speed which was one of my turn offs. He stated he maxed out around 4MPH? I cruise at 3.5-4MPH with my PA depending on load and i have pedled to 5.5 with effort and zero cavitation like what you can with some propeller drives. What also turned me away from native was its drives weedlessness. Not so good. With the mirage i can kick through shallow submerged grass and lilypads with hardley any problems or hangups. Just a quick lift and whatever was hung on the drive falls off if it ever gets that bad. Another route would be the jacksons md drive or WS radar. Nowadays theres so many great options but nothing beats hard research, non bias reviews, and best of all personally demoing the kayak yourself on the water. Good luck with your purchase bud!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:11 pm

I have a Hobie PA12 and its great. Stable for punching and easy cruising.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing