Native's smaller Titan: the 10.5

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Native's smaller Titan: the 10.5

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:14 am

No, I haven't taken one out yet but I did see Greg Blanchard's short test on YouTube and I generally like what I see there.

But, the big surprise for me? Its price point of $2499, only $100 more than a Native Propel Slayer 10. The small Titan is 9" longer and 3.5" wider at the beam and weighs 35 or so pounds more. So, it has a lot of added raw material base. I was on record guessing that this vessel would be priced at just under $3000. Anyway, good to see some aggressive pricing on a pedal kayak.

The big upsides for the Titan 10.5 will be its great width (37.5") making it very easy to stand in. That is a big deal for me, likely most anglers, too. And, this one can be carried in the back of most truck beds or vans, etc. since it is only 10'9" long.

Standing ability, no trailering required, nice price point, one of the most aggressive kayaks for tight radius turning, too. All good.

No, it won't be a speed demon with those blunt measurements; that, and there will be maintenance required on the drive from time to time.

Worth a look!

Brad

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Native's smaller Titan: the 10.5

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:56 pm

Brad in Texas wrote:No, I haven't taken one out yet but I did see Greg Blanchard's short test on YouTube and I generally like what I see there.

But, the big surprise for me? Its price point of $2499, only $100 more than a Native Propel Slayer 10. The small Titan is 9" longer and 3.5" wider at the beam and weighs 35 or so pounds more. So, it has a lot of added raw material base. I was on record guessing that this vessel would be priced at just under $3000. Anyway, good to see some aggressive pricing on a pedal kayak.

The big upsides for the Titan 10.5 will be its great width (37.5") making it very easy to stand in. That is a big deal for me, likely most anglers, too. And, this one can be carried in the back of most truck beds or vans, etc. since it is only 10'9" long.

Standing ability, no trailering required, nice price point, one of the most aggressive kayaks for tight radius turning, too. All good.

No, it won't be a speed demon with those blunt measurements; that, and there will be maintenance required on the drive from time to time.

Worth a look!

Brad
How are you liking the kayak so far? I am considering the Titan, the Hobie Outback or PA12.

The areas where the Titan seems to have an edge are price and the reverse drive. Everything else is Hobie imo.

Thanks.
Cheers

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:10 am

No, I don't own one, just posting some general comments about research on new models coming out.

Greg Blanchard on YouTube has posted several videos of the Titan 10.5 and he loves it, this after him fishing recently out of the larger Titan 13.

I will say that I find the price point to be very attractive. I own a Native Propel 10 and this Titan 10 is wider and 9" longer, much heavier . . . so, just the added material expense alone makes it seem like a bargain in comparison.

I'd buy this boat over a PA 12 or 14 if I were fishing lakes, ponds, floating slow rivers, etc. The PAs would be better offshore I think.

The new Titan 12 was released yesterday adding yet another size option. It, too, is priced well below the PA 12 and 14.

Brad

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:53 am

Brad in Texas wrote: I'd buy this boat over a PA 12 or 14 if I were fishing lakes, ponds, floating slow rivers, etc. The PAs would be better offshore I think.
Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying that without consideration for price the Titan is better suited for lakes/ponds due to the measurements/features, or that the extra money for the PA just isn't worth it for that type of fishing?

I'm hoping to buy a kayak this spring and I was thinking the Feelfree Lure 11.5 was a lock until I saw these new additions to the Titan lineup.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:10 pm

Well, the 10.5 is a real price bargain, I think. Anyone buying a higher end pedal kayak knows that after your purchase, it isn't uncommon to spend another $500 and maybe more, to set it all up. I was really surprised by the price. +1

Then, its maneuverability is off the charts. So, when you are fishing a lake or slow moving water, we often catch a fish or miss one, but sort of float off. In most kayaks, turning around to re-work the water is a chore. This thing has the tightest turn I have seen. +2

I wouldn't even consider a kayak that I couldn't stand in but the 37.5" beam and the fat butt (meaning more of the length of the kayak is wide than most) means it is among the most stable. Here, a PA 12 or 14 would likely be about the same. Even

A 10'9" kayak can be carried in the back of a small pickup truck, no trailer required. If you have a truck or a van, this would be a big advantage. +3

Adding on to earlier comments, a pedal drive's reverse is simply better than a Hobie's. When one tries to stay in place on a kayak with pedals, it looks a bit like a guy balancing on a unicycle where the pedals make tiny adjustments back and forth. +4

These points come to mind sort of quickly. If I were going out deep, beyond the breakers, I'd want a much longer kayak with different characteristics.

Check out Greg Blanchard's videos on his new 10.5. Pretty good coverage.

Brad

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:16 am

Brad in Texas wrote:Well, the 10.5 is a real price bargain, I think. Anyone buying a higher end pedal kayak knows that after your purchase, it isn't uncommon to spend another $500 and maybe more, to set it all up. I was really surprised by the price. +1

Then, its maneuverability is off the charts. So, when you are fishing a lake or slow moving water, we often catch a fish or miss one, but sort of float off. In most kayaks, turning around to re-work the water is a chore. This thing has the tightest turn I have seen. +2

I wouldn't even consider a kayak that I couldn't stand in but the 37.5" beam and the fat butt (meaning more of the length of the kayak is wide than most) means it is among the most stable. Here, a PA 12 or 14 would likely be about the same. Even

A 10'9" kayak can be carried in the back of a small pickup truck, no trailer required. If you have a truck or a van, this would be a big advantage. +3

Adding on to earlier comments, a pedal drive's reverse is simply better than a Hobie's. When one tries to stay in place on a kayak with pedals, it looks a bit like a guy balancing on a unicycle where the pedals make tiny adjustments back and forth. +4

These points come to mind sort of quickly. If I were going out deep, beyond the breakers, I'd want a much longer kayak with different characteristics.

Check out Greg Blanchard's videos on his new 10.5. Pretty good coverage.

Brad
This is very helpful, thanks!