Kayak/Catfish combo

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Kayak/Catfish combo

Post by BucketHunter » Sun May 31, 2015 12:18 pm

I do most of my spring fishing from my Kayak, on smallish Lake Erie tribs. Kayak fishing, as well as catfishing, is fairly new to me, with only 3 years for both under my belt. As I have nailed down the patterns, and spots on my favourite tribs, I am starting to tangle with bigger and bigger fish this year, a few now beating the 20lb mark, with my average this year well over 10lbs. A 30lber will likely be that once a decade trophy on the waters I fish. The province record is 38lbs, so not like we are dealing with the big blues and flats down south, but they aren't really pursued around here a lot, so nothing says their aren't bigger girls just waiting to be caught.
My primary style of choice is nearly like flipping for bass. Usually a slip float is employed, and I fish very tight to cover, with the immediate goal to get them away from the cover as quickly as possible. Initially, the less than stable platform of the kayak hinders this, but once I get them a little clear, the pedals of my hobie allow me to clear out to the main channel and fight the fish in relative safety.
Last week, I had a fish run straight at me in 1st gear, leading me to underestimate it's size and fight. Five feet from the yak, as I had the rod pretty high and ready to start the landing process, she came alive, and dove at full speed down and under my yak, and out the other side. I reacted too slowly, and boinked the top off of my Aetos due to highsticking...
Another concern is that I often felt underpowered with medium and medium heavy sticks I used, but when I went up to heavy powers, I get the fish boatside too fast, the it gets a little hairy with boatside runs and early landing attempts, which are always by hand as nets take up too much space and are cumbersome to me.
Most cat guys aren't really gear junkies, with most recommendations coming down to the "black or the white ugly stik".
What would you big game kayak guys recommend? I'm thinking something with a little glass in it, and a softer, longer tip that transitions into solid backbone. I wonder if some of the saltwater options would be viable? We have no salt, thus no gear around here to even put my hands on, so I wouldn't know where to start...
Target casting/flipping but with a soft yet indestructible tip, with lots of backbone when pressed but not too much power overall, and a nice build and quality than Ugly Stik...that's not too much to ask right?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Kayak/Catfish combo

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:21 am

Check out be Shimano Teramar series. They have been around for a while and are great inshore rods. They are TC4 composite rods and are very durable but a little heavier than a graphite stick. Very reasonable price as well. Would think these would handle those cats very well.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:00 am

You are the second to recommend them. Do you/have you used them? I can't really get a hand on any around here.
How do the powers compare to regular graphite bass fishing rods? I am looking for something that would fall between a MH(-.5) to H( -.5)

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:19 am

I own the 7'4 M/MF and its a great rod for its uses. Bought it before I started using baitcasters and used it mainly for cranks but also fished soft plastics pretty well. The actions are pretty close to a similar graphite rod, but definitely a little more powerful. The 7' MH/F is rated 1/2-1 1/2 and I think it would be pretty much what you are looking for. I think they made them composite to increase the durability as I have never seen or heard of one breaking and I have put a pretty deep bend in mine before. Sensitivity is decent and good enough to get the job done. I know a few guys that use the H powered rods for snapper, bull redfish, king macks and other bigger species and they love them for those uses. These are the SouthEast models. I'm sure Bantam1 could give you some good info on a specific rod in the lineup that you are interested in.

tioke
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tioke » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:45 am

look at the g-rods pro catfish rod.

http://g-rods.com/collections/pro-catfi ... fish-7-mhc
nice rod for that money.

susQbassman
Angler
Angler

Post by susQbassman » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:51 pm

I use a cabelas pro guide mh 9' 1/2 to 1 1/2 lure weight steelhead spinning rod powerful but forgiving because of the tip and long length.

EliteC
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by EliteC » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:07 am

tioke wrote:look at the g-rods pro catfish rod.

http://g-rods.com/collections/pro-catfi ... fish-7-mhc
nice rod for that money.
Not really bad price at all!

Thanks for the share, might pick one up for my friend for his upcoming birthday.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:27 pm

Denali has a new line of Bottom Feeder rods.